MD: Rasmussen: Obama 60, McCain 37
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  MD: Rasmussen: Obama 60, McCain 37
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD: Rasmussen: Obama 60, McCain 37  (Read 1199 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »

New Poll: Maryland President by Rasmussen on 2008-09-24

Summary: D: 60%, R: 37%, I: 1%, U: 3%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Topline Numbers

Obama 60%

McCain 37%

Other 1%

Not Sure 3%
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »

really?  didn't think 60 was realistic here, and maybe it isn't
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »

We need to shift more of this enthusiasim to the battleground states. His leads in some of the Democratic states are becoming bloated.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »

Approaching 60% in MD, NY, CA, IL, VT, CT and Iowa? He could very well lose the EC and win the PV if this pattern continues.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »

Some of the rich liberal whites and blacks in Maryland should be migrated down to Virginia.

Maryland should realistically be one of Obama's 3 or 4 best states though, unless he gets a pretty sizable boost in Illinois from home-state advantage, in which case it would still be one of his best 4 or 5.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »

Approaching 60% in MD, NY, CA, IL, VT, CT and Iowa? He could very well lose the EC and win the PV if this pattern continues.

Obama is approaching 60% in Iowa? News to me.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

Apparently 50% is near 60%. Who knew?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

Sorry, RI, not IA.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »

Maryland has a pretty high black population as well as a lot of latte liberals in the more Northeastern areas of the state.  I've been predicted Obama to crack 60% since he got the nomination.  It should be one of his 3 or 4 best states. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »

The problem is, McCain has his own share of "close to 60" states. The latest poll from TX is McCain 57%, GA - 57%, TN - 59%, KY - 57%, AZ - 56%, SC - 58%, AL - 60%, OK - 59%, NE - 60%, UT - 65%, WY - 66%, ID - 62%. So, if anything, it could go eiter way Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »

The problem is, McCain has his own share of "close to 60" states. The latest poll from TX is McCain 57%, GA - 57%, TN - 59%, KY - 57%, AZ - 56%, SC - 58%, AL - 60%, OK - 59%, NE - 60%, UT - 65%, WY - 66%, ID - 62%. So, if anything, it could go eiter way Smiley

But places like Wyoming and Idaho have next to no population, while NY, CA and IL are among the biggest in the nation. Furthermore, if you compare to "traditional" results Obama seems to have gained disproportionately among safe states on either side. But I still  expect the popular vote and electoral vote to match each other more or less. If they split, I think Obama is more likely to win the PV and lose the EV though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »

But places like Wyoming and Idaho have next to no population, while NY, CA and IL are among the biggest in the nation. Furthermore, if you compare to "traditional" results Obama seems to have gained disproportionately among safe states on either side. But I still  expect the popular vote and electoral vote to match each other more or less. If they split, I think Obama is more likely to win the PV and lose the EV though.

Not really since Obama is running just fine in the states he needs to win. He seems to be doing above the national average in Colorado and Virginia seems to be creeping to about where Ohio and Nevada are. Also Nevada could turn out to be more democratic on election day than expected. I still think Obama has a structural advantage in the EV this season. That being said if anybody wins the PV by more than half a point, they will find some way to win the EV. Things will fall in line.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

Unlikely. Maryland will be a few points stronger for Obama than Kerry, but not more than 58%.  The Eastern Shore is too Southern, and the Panhandle too Appalachian. My guess is that they oversampled suburban Republicans at the expense of the rural ones.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »

really not to surprising.  Kerry won MD by 13 in a year Bush won nationally by 2.46%.  That put the state at approx 15.5% more Dem than the national average in 04 (15.46% to be exact)  Obama seems to be up nationally by 4-5% or so at the moment, which would put his lead in the 19-20% or so range if it is as far from the national average as it was in 04.  A 3% or so shift in Obama;s direction against the national average in MD really wouldn't surprising, considering the demographics of the state.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

VT and RI are hardly giants, and TX is no minnow Smiley Overall, the states I've listed as "overwhelming McCain" have 119 EV, the states Duke listed as "overwhelming Obama" have 110 EV (117 EV if you add equally safe HI and DE)
hardly much of a difference Smiley

Obama is, actually, doing miserably in recently safe Republican states (w/ a couple of notorious exceptions, like North Carolina).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies