McCain Mistakes in 2000 Primary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:13:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  McCain Mistakes in 2000 Primary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain Mistakes in 2000 Primary  (Read 8893 times)
Guderian

« on: March 10, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2010, 04:40:16 PM by Guderian »

2000 was my first election and I was a McCain supporter for 2 reasons:

1. he had a fully-functional brain
2. he was not the son of a former President

2000 was my first election too and I was also a McCain supporter in primaries. My reasons were these:

1. He would have beaten Gore easily
2. He seemed more qualified and deserving of presidency than Bush

Overall, McCain's biggest mistake was that he underestimated the strength and depth of Bush's establishment support. Bush had the party apparatus, religious leaders and big donors in his corner. McCain had the MSM groupies, and that's it. He thought he could skate by with that maverick crap, he never really gave the base (any segment of it - social conservatives, military hawks, free-marketers) a reason to like him more than Bush, nor did he give it to party's kingmakers. You can't knock out a frontrunner that way. If Obama acted like that, Hillary would have wiped the floor with him.

Also, the entire "black child out of the wedlock" issue is completely overblown and probably had very little effect on the Republican primaries. It's just an irrelevant story that gets repeated over and over again by liberals to point out that Republican voters (especially them sick, perverted South Carolinians) are despicable racists and Karl Rove the son of Satan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies