Thought Deux
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:51:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Thought Deux
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thought Deux  (Read 766 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2008, 07:21:11 PM by Torie »

Other than vetoing legislation, Court appointments, and ministerial executive appointments,  how is the President of Atlasia relevant to this game called Atlasia? It seems the Senate has more action, however enervated even that action might considered to be. Why is being elected president anything but a burden rather than a joy?  What can be done, to increase the stakes, of assuming power as POA, the power to punish and reward and effect change. Do we need a POA?  Is there any reason, we should not revert to a parliamentary system, with the Senate controlling all, or all subject to involving the governors, as I previously mused?

Al? Bgwah? Moderate? Presidents past or president or future,? Anyone?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »

The President is essentially a figurehead. What power exists in Atlasia is vested in the Senate (imaginary legislation being far easier than maintaining an imaginary bureaucracy).

Ebowed apparently did much (some of it only quasi-legal) in his first stint of office, though I still am not quite sure what it was (I was but a wee lad in those days).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 07:58:45 PM by Torie »

Maybe the senate should elect a primus inter pares ("PIP"), with the power to require a two thirds vote on legislation,  which PIP could be removed at any time by a majority senate vote. The PIR would have the power to select executive ministerial offices, except for the court, which would be subject to popular vote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »

Torie, I agree that the president is not powerful enough.  But neither are the governors.  Executives simply lack in power.  Their is really no easy solution and parlimentary style is something myself and my party oppose. 

Perhaps one solution would be allowing the president more appointments or something.  Or perhaps the ability to ax Supreme Court justices
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »

I was only in office for three seconds Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »

Torie, I agree that the president is not powerful enough.  But neither are the governors.  Executives simply lack in power.  Their is really no easy solution and parlimentary style is something myself and my party oppose. 

Perhaps one solution would be allowing the president more appointments or something.  Or perhaps the ability to ax Supreme Court justices

Maybe twining my twin thoughts might get us somewhere. The governors have power to influence the hiring and firing of the PIR, who serves at the pleasure of their combined will. I think I really favor voting for judges at large, for perhaps selfish reasons, but not only for selfish reasons. Tongue Getting the court more active might increase the interest of the game. I am focused on the game here, not on what makes sense in the other place.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

Maybe twining my twin thoughts might get us somewhere. The governors have power to influence the hiring and firing of the PIR, who serves at the pleasure of their combined will. I think I really favor voting for judges at large, for perhaps selfish reasons, but not only for selfish reasons. Tongue Getting the court more active might increase the interest of the game. I am focused on the game here, not on what makes sense in the other place.
Interesting idea, I never thought of electing the judges.  If you want to work on some sort of bill and need my help for that, feel free to let me know.  However, I think stiff opposition may come to that. 

Another thought for increasing presidential power, what do you think about allowing the president the power to preside over the senate as the PPT does now?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 08:03:40 PM by Torie »

Interesting idea, I never thought of electing the judges.  If you want to work on some sort of bill and need my help for that, feel free to let me know.  However, I think stiff opposition may come to that. 

Another thought for increasing presidential power, what do you think about allowing the president the power to preside over the senate as the PPT does now?

The PPT is primarily a ministerial function, and one reason for my Lewis love, and not the only reason, is that he is irreplaceable in doing it with competence, and with diligence, in a place which is not known for its diligence.

I am going to ponder further moving our system to a mixed regional and federal parliamentary system. It might work best for the game.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:37:12 PM »

The PPT is primarily a ministerial function, and one reason for my Lewis love, and not the only reason, is that he is irreplaceable in doing it with competence, and with diligence, in a place which is not known for its diligence.

I am going to ponder further moving our system to a mixed regional and federal parliamentary system. It might work best for the game.

Agree. Another option could be than the President votes in Senate and his legislation has highest priority on other legislation. Perhaps the right, once a month, to table a legislation unilateraly.

For Thought Un, since the thread became Watergate Two, perhaps but there flaws.

Exemple: A law to legalise cocaine. A governor comes and votes Aye. The Senate rejects the bill. Cocaine is legal in that region but not to the federal level. Not possible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »

Such a boring name!

How about Forumgate?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 12:09:11 AM »

Doubleforumgate! Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »

Stop invading Torie's threads. His ideas deserve better than that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 12:25:27 AM »

Okay. Back on topic, I do agree that the President needs more power. Looking at the history of the United States, the office of President is Constitutionally rather weak. Rather, it has defined its own powers many times. As such, I think the President should try to be more pro-active in this regard. Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »

I plan on expanding the powers of the Vice President radically. Dick Cheney style. Should be fun.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies