Austrian Single Member Constituencies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Single Member Constituencies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Austrian Single Member Constituencies  (Read 9490 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2008, 02:06:41 PM by Nothing has meaning. Least of all you. »

As triggered by the other thread...

Vorarlberg - 8 seats.

Vorarlberg North - 4 seats.
Vorarlberg South - 4 seats.

Vorarlberg North is made of two districts, Bregenz and Dornbirn. Dornbirn district (with just 3 municipalities) is worth about 1.56 seats, Bregenz (with 40) about 2.44.

Proposed constituency map: Town of Dornbirn (32.3k reg.d voters)
remainder of Dornbirn and four northwesternmost Bregenz district municpalities (42.6) - Could be evened out better, but only by having both constituencies cross the district line. Constituency name might be Lustenau.
Bregenz, with 6 mostly quite small municipalities between it and Dornbirn (36.2)
remaining 29 municipalities in a sizeable rural constituency, Vorarlberg North East (34.9)

Voting:
Dornbirn: ÖVP by 8 (Greens second)
Lustenau: ÖVP won all municipalities here (FPÖ second)
Bregenz: ÖVP won all municipalities here, though Bregenz was very close. SPÖ second, I think.
North East: Not only did they win all municipalities, most of this district is still ultra safe, 50%, sometimes 70%plus ÖVP country.
Bottom line: ÖVP 4.

Vorarlberg South is also made of two districts, Bludenz and Feldkirch. Population is somewhat lower than in the North. Population balance between districts is eerily similar to the North, though. Except it's the territorially smaller seat that's worth 2.44.
Town of Feldkirch, with two smaller neighboring municipalities - 28.5
Yeah well, I did add a few towns north of that, including the semi-sizable Rankweil and Götzis, for 29.5.
And all the southern portion of Bludenz district south of Bludenz (mostly the Montafon valley), plus Bludenz itself (Bludenz - Montafon?), is 30.5.
And anything that remains (Vorarlberg Central?) is 28.0.

Voting: Feldkirch's sorta like Dornbirn.
One village in Rankweil - Götzis actually had the FPÖ ahead.
Bludenz and a few other places nearby actually went SPÖ, but that area was cut across by my constituency line, I think. Ooh yah, and some of the places that aren't either Bludenz or the Montafon went for the FPÖ by whispers. I didn't calculate exactly, but I'm reasonably certain that the bottom line here too is:
ÖVP 4.

Map:
http://vogis.cnv.at/dva04/(S(fop1wp550zjwxy55gl13xu45))/init.aspx?ks=allgemein&karte=vogis_amtlichekarte
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2008, 01:54:32 PM by Nothing has meaning. Least of all you. »

Tirol - 15 seats.
Oberland (west) - 3 seats.
Innsbruck City - 3 seats
Innsbruck Rural (center) - 5 seats
Unterland (northeast) - 3 seats
East Tirol (the noncontiguous portion) - 1 seat (which is pretty stupid, as it means East Tirol's got no chance to elect a Representative at the first stage, except unanimously. I guess it had 2 seats when the constituency map was introduced - at 40k voters it's slightly oversized. Still, it's nice for this.)

Oberland has three districts, Landeck, Reutte and Imst. Landeck (33k) is a constituency, but bits of Imst (42k) have to go into the Reutte (23k) constituency.
As the ÖVP won every single municipality in Imst district, I didn't bother working out where the boundary would go. It's going to be kind of messy though - boundary follows a mountain range.
EDIT: Imst map. 7.7k in the villages underneath the Fernpass - Tarrenz to Mieming and Mötz. Also, the Reutte district area is better known as the Außerfern, which of course just means "beyond the Fernpass". "Außerfern - Fernpass" sounds sort of stupid though, so I'd probably make it "Reutte - Fernpass".
Bottom line: ÖVP 3.

Unterland has two districts, Kufstein and Kitzbühel. The municipal map pretty clearly implies a cross-district constituency (mostly in Kufstein district) should be in the western portion. Might be a Kufstein (40.6k) seat, roughly east of that bend you're seeing, a Kitzbühel seat (37.8k) just excluding three municipalities at the western end, and a Wörgl (39.7k) seat for the remainder.
Bottom line: ÖVP 3.
EDIT:Kufstein. The line is just northeast of Wörgl as I recall.
Kitzbühel

East Tirol: As stated. ÖVP 1.

Innsbruck rural: Consists of two districts, Innsbruck rural and Schwaz. Giving three seats to Innsbruck rural and two to Schwaz is stretching it (basically 40k each for the Innsbruck rural seats and 30k for the Schwaz seats). Might be fun though on account of that SPÖ cluster around Schwaz.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

Innsbruck rural...
Telfs - Zirl (for want of a better name. These seem to be the largest places) is in the Inn Valley upstream from Innsbruck. ca.39.6k voters.
Stubai - Sellring ca 37.5k voters are the mountain valleys south (towards the Brenner) and southwest from Innsbruck, with a couple of more densely populated areas just outside the city thrown in.
The end of the district east of Innsbruck has 46.7k voters, eight municipalities (including semi-sizeable Wattens) of that will go into one of the Schwaz constituencies, giving 32.2k for our Hall in Tirol constituency. Though the ÖVP was ahead here, it's actually fairly closeish - close enough (and also have enough third camp voters) to be entirely unpredictable in a short-notice switch to fptp.
Schwaz turned out to make most geographical sense as a west-east split, odd as it may sound at first glance: Schwaz - Wattens 35.0k is the cross-district one, and Zillertal - Jenbach 37.6k. (I initially worked with a north-south split. This west-east thing sort of imposed itself, and then led to me transferring four more municipalities to even things out.)

Innsbruck Rural
Schwaz
Finally found some nice maps. Might even rework the other Tirol stuff based on them.

It's fairly apparent where boundaries are I suppose - Völs, Kematen, Ranggens mark the southern end of the northwestern Innsbruck rural seat, and the easternmost place in Schwaz - Wattens is Gallzein.

From the SPÖ perspective, it's sad that (strongly red-blue, must be an old industrial town) Jenbach and narrowly SPÖ Schwaz are not in the same seat, but it would have required a gerrymander to put them in one - combining the Zillertal with the Wattens bit, you might have drawn such a map. Would not have looked impossible - but only on a map without any geographical features. Smiley Besides, the ÖVP would still have ended up barely ahead.

Bottom line: ÖVP 5.

No I need to go look for Innsbruck neighborhoods. And election results from them. Wish me luck.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »

Innsbruck Map

Most reasonable way to split the city is to put everything north of the Inn except Mariahilf - St Nikolaus (apparently an ancient foregate of the city proper) into Innsbruck North even though it's oversized, well okay less undersized than the other two, at 33.7k voters. Reichenau, Pradl and Amras make up Innsbruck East at 27.3k, and the remainder is Innsbruck West at 27.8k. I calculated results (afterwards. I didn't look at them before. I had little clue what to expect.), and North is narrowly ÖVP in a four-way cluster with the SPÖ second and FPÖ and Greens also strong, East is pretty solidly SPÖ, and West has the Greens ahead of the ÖVP by just over a hundred votes, with the SPÖ a distant third.

Bottom line: 1 SPÖ, 1 ÖVP, 1 Green.
Bottom line Tirol: 13 ÖVP, 1 SPÖ, 1 Green.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »

Salzburg. Map (click on start, play with settings. Such as, open the Grenzen menu, and check Bezirksgrenzen, Gemeindegrenzen und Gemeindenamen.)

The state has three constituencies, City of Salzburg (3 seats), Flachgau & Tennengau (4 seats) and Lungau, Pinzgau & Pongau (4 seats).

Each of these traditional Gaue conforms to a district, namely (in order as above) Salzburg rural, Hallein, Tamsweg, Zell am See and Sankt Johann im Pongau.

I think the variation between seats is still tolerable if I give the Pinzgau (64k) two seats, with one seat in the Pongau (58k) and another with all the Lungau (16k) and the remainder of the Pongau; and make the Tennengau (41k) one large constituency with 3 constituencies in the Flachgau (107k). Salzburg has 104k registered voters.

The Southern Pinzgau constituency (31.5k) extends to the line of Taxenbach, Bruck, Piesendorf, Niedernsill etc, excluding Zell. The Northern one (32.1k) should I guess be named Saalfelden - Zell am See (Saalfelden, not Zell, is the largest town in the district) but I'm at a loss for a name for the southern one, as no place is prominent. Großvenediger, after the highest peak? Or just Pinzgau South?

The border through the Pongau might have Sankt Martin, Hüttau, Wagrain, Großarl, Hüttschlag and points east in the Lungau - East Pongau constituency (36.5k) and the remainder (38.0k) in a western Pongau, or Sankt Johann or whatever, constituency.
Partisan analysis to come.

The Tennengau is, as stated above, its own constituency. ÖVP won it.

Tender could no doubt do better, but I split the Flachgau into three constituencies with, south to north 35.8k, 34.8k and 36.3k registered voters.
Southern one runs as far as Fuschl, Hof, but not Koppl.
Middle one takes it from there as far as Anthering, Seekirchen, Henndorf, Thalgau.

Now I go calculate partisan leanings.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 03:32:38 PM by Nothing has meaning. Least of all you. »

Lol. Excluding postal votes, SPÖ beat ÖVP in the northern Pinzgau seat by a single vote. While winning only the two largest municipalities, too.
Southern is ÖVP.
Western Pongau is SPÖ, eastern Pongau/Lungau is quite solidly ÖVP.
Tennengau, as mentioned, is ÖVP.
Flachgau is 3 safe ÖVP seats (despite a weird two-town cluster of large SPÖ wins in the far northwest.)

Bottom line (state excluding Salzburg): ÖVP 6, SPÖ 2.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 03:33:58 PM by Nothing has meaning. Least of all you. »

Dear God. Here is the map I found of Salzburg (with a key of what's what here.)  Election results are here. Notice something? Not only is the format for dividing the city a different one, even with a lot of guesswork and being forced to combine a few areas I'm almost sure I got a couple of mistakes. And the total no. of reg.d voters is a tad too low, even.

FWIW, I combined areas 00-10 and 38-44 for 35.2k voters (Salzburg North), 12-36 except 16 (the historical Old Town, with the New Town on the other side of the thicker line) for 35.0k voters (Salzburg SW) and the remainder for 30.1k voters (which explains why the Old Town went here) (Salzburg SE). Now calculating partisan leanings...

Seems I drew a pro-ÖVP gerrymander. North is strongly SPÖ, the other two much closer ÖVP despite being behind citywide.

State bottom line:
ÖVP 8, SPÖ 3.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:14:36 PM »

Ooh. Very cool.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »

Upper Austria.

32 seats, 5 current constituencies:
Innviertel ("Inn Quarter"), western part of state (by the river Inn, hence the name). 3 districts of Braunau, Ried, and Schärding. 165k voters, 5 seats. Braunau (75k) will get two seats, the other two (46 and 44) 3 together.
Mühlviertel ("Mills Quarter"), northern part of state (north of the Danube). 4 districts of Rohrbach, Urfahr surrounds, Freistadt and Perg. 214k voters, 6 seats. Probably 3 seats for Rohrbach (46) and Urfahr (65) and 3 seats for Freistadt (52) and Perg (51).
Hausruckviertel, central part of the state, with weird southwestward extension into the mountains. Named for a prominent mountain. 4 districts of Eferding, Grieskirchen, Vöcklabruck, and Wels rural, plus city of Wels. 266k voters, 8 seats. 3 seats in Vöcklabruck (100k), two for Grieskirchen (49) and Eferding (24), Wels city (41) might be one oversized constituency except that Wels rural is just 51k and can't be two seats by itself - will be combined with either part of Grieskirchen/Eferding and/or an outlying area of the city of Wels.
Traunviertel, southeastern part of the state (Traun, Krems and Enns valleys). 3 districts of Gmunden, Kirchdorf, and Steyr rural, and city of Steyr. 198k voters, 6 seats. Gmunden (79) might be two large constituencies, Kirchdorf (43) and Steyr rural (47) 3 together - alternatively, a few places in Gmunden might be shifted, but probably not. City of Steyr (29) will probably be its own constituency, although again, a few places might be shifted in.
Linz & Surrounds, you guessed where. City of Linz and district of Linz rural (which is entirely to the south of the city, on the Danube's right bank. I think Urfahr (see under Mühlviertel) is an incorporated former town across the Danube from Linz, so there's as it were two Linz rural districts. 246k voters, 7 seats. 4 in Linz (142) and 3 in rural (104).

So much for the framework, now for the details.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:33:39 AM »

Braunau

Mattighofen*, 37.3k, southeastward of and including St Pantaleon, Geretsberg, St Georgen, Helpfau-Uttenberg, Höhnhart, Aspach.
Braunau, 37.5k, remainder.

Both are basically three-way marginals with 1)ÖVP 2)SPÖ 3)FPÖ, with the ÖVP's lead in the south slightly larger than in the north.

Ried
Schärding

Ried 31.1k Kirchheim, Aurolzmünster, Peterskirchen and south.
Schärding 29.4k Suben, Sigharting, and north. Not including Enzenskirchen.
Andorf* 29.8k in between.

Rather more securely ÖVP, with the FPÖ narrowly ahead of the SPÖ in all three. Assume the BZÖ not to stand everywhere and/or most of its non-Carinthian voters sticking with the FPÖ, and these might get quite interesting.

Rohrbach
Urfahr

Rohrbach 37.6k Main body of district
Feldkirchen* (or might be Urfahr surrounds West) 37.2k Ahorn, St Peter, St Ulrich, St Martin and southeast; Oberneukirchen, Zwettl, Eidenberg, Lichtenberg, and southwest.
Engerwitzkirchen 35.9k (or might be Urfahr surrounds East) Eastern part of Urfahr.

Rohrbach's very safe ÖVP, other two are marginals, with rural ÖVP areas narrowly outvoting SPÖ Linz suburbs. (I did try at first to split this district upland-lowland, btw, but it didn't map out well. Lowlands are somewhat too large a share of population.)

Freistadt
Perg

Freistadt 35.3k. Waldburg, Kefermarkt, Gutau, Zell and northeast.
? 33.6k. Remainder; Ried, Mauthausen (yes, that Mauthausen) and west.
There's really nothing to call this beyond Linz Surrounds Northeast or something. Nowhere over 4k registered voters, numerous places over 3k.
Perg 34.1k. Schwertberg and east.

Perg is marginal (<1000 votes lead) ÖVP, Freistadt is safer. The surrounds seat is SPÖ, and by a larger margin than Freistadt's ÖVP margin, too.

*clearly the biggest place, but really too small to stand alone like that. Not sure what to do about it.

Bottom line, ÖVP-voting parts of Upper Austria (Hausruckviertel is only marginally SPÖ though) : ÖVP 10, SPÖ 1.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »

Vöcklabruck

Attergau 32.8k Weißenkirchen, Berg, Seewalchen, Lenzing, Aurach and south.
Hausruck (southern slopes of it really, and extending down into the plain of course) 33.7k north of that - Timelkam, Ungenach, Manning, Wolfsegg and west.
Vöcklabruck 33.6k east of that. (Map's a bit misleading. Vöcklabruck is the one that looks as if it were called Timelkam. Timelkam's the one west of that.)

Two northern constituencies are marginal (but not uber-close) SPÖ, southern is marginal (but not uber-close) ÖVP. FPÖ a very strong third throughout.

Grieskirchen
Eferding
Wels rural
Wels

Eferding 34.1k. Whole district, 6 northeastern municipalities of Grieskirchen (Natternbach to Waizenkirchen).
Grieskirchen 35.0k. District, minus those 6 and also minus Wallern and Bad Schallerbach at the southeastern end.
Wels City 38.5k. City except for the areas outside the motorway.
Marchtrenk (it's quite sizable - although some might prefer Wels Rural North) 28.9k. Marchtrenk to Gunskirchen, remaining odds and ends of Wels city and Grieskirchen district.
Thalheim (it's not, really) 29.8k. South and East parts of Wels rural district.
Yeah, Two seats for Wels rural seemed excessive, but I still tolerated a sizeable variation to keep disruption at a minimum.

Political leanings... Though the Eferding district is marginally SPÖ, the Grieskirchen areas are quite heavily ÖVP, evening things out and then some. Still marginal though. Grieskirchen is safe ÖVP. Wels City is utterly safe SPÖ, with FPÖ in second. Marchtrenk is also quite safe - would be marginal, but still SPÖ, without Marchtrenk itself. Thalheim is another ÖVP marginal, I seem to be good at unintentionally drawing pro-ÖVP maps. Cheesy (If I were an SPÖ representative at a local hearing, I'd strongly protest this map and demand that the city be split up to reduce inequality.)

Bottom line Hausruckviertel: SPÖ 4, ÖVP 4.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »

Gmunden

Salzkammergut (or Bad Ischl) 39.6k. Ebensee and south, plus Traunkirchen, Altmünster, Pinsdorf for population balance.
Gmunden 39.0k remainder

Kirchdorf
Steyr rural

I created not one but two cross-district seats here...

Sierning 31.2k Steyr rural north of (and excluding) Aschach - ie anything on the left bank of the Steyr river; and three northern Kirchdorf towns of Kremsmünster, Ried, and Wartberg.
Enns Valley (Garsten is the largest town at over 5k voters, but it's on the edge of the constituency) 29.4k Remainder of Steyr rural plus Steinbach on the Steyr and Molln from Kirchdorf district.
Kirchdorf 29.5k Remainder.
Steyr 29.0k City.

Partisan leanings: Salzkammergut very safe SPÖ (strange area. Affluent and touristy, but with ages of mining tradition.), Gmunden almost marginal. Though the Kirchdorf district narrowly went for the ÖVP, removing those three northern places reverses that. Both Steyr rural parts are marginally SPÖ, but the northern one has that reverted due to these three ÖVP towns (so the net partisan balance of their transfer is actually zero - flipped both the seat they went into and the one they went out of.) Steyr is totally safe SPÖ.

Bottom line SPÖ 5, ÖVP 1.

Linz rural

Leonding 35.9k. Leonding, Wilhering, Pasching, Kirchberg-Thening, Oftering, Hörsching.
Traun - Ansfelden 32.4k Traun, Ansfelden, Pucking, Allhaming, Eggendorf
Enns 35.1k Remainder

There are some ÖVP voting municipalities here, but they're small. The bigger places are all quite heavily SPÖ, with the FPÖ and ÖVP tied for second.

Linz

Linz Central, or North Central 34.9k neighborhoods 1-8 and 15-17
Linz South, or South Central 33.5k neighborhoods 9-14 and 18-20
Linz Ebelsberg - Schörgenhub or South 33.4k neighborhoods 21-25
Linz Urfahr or North ca.36.9k neighborhoods 26-36 north of the Danube

16 is very low in population and 17 is borderline uninhabited. Doesn't really matter where they go. I had em with South at first but it sort of would look odd in an outline map.

South and Ebelsberg-Schörgenhub are so safe SPÖ it's not funny anymore while Central is sort of a four-way clusterfuck again, with the SPÖ on top, and Urfahr has areas like Central and areas like the Southern seats. I calculated the exact result for the Ebelsberg constituency:
SPÖ 45.7%, FPÖ 24.6%, ÖVP 9.4%, BZÖ 8.4%, Greens 8.0%. Ooh yeah baby. Kind of disappointing that the BZÖ didn't come third - it did in Schörgenhub (neighborhood 23) though.

Bottom line Upper Austria: SPÖ 17, ÖVP 15.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 09:12:32 AM »

Lower Austria broad outlines. 36 seats overall for Austria's largest state.

Mostviertel (southwest. The Cidre Quarter, btw.) 192k, just barely enough for 6 seats. Districts of Amstetten (89k), Melk (61k) and Scheibbs (33k) and city of Waidhofen on Ybbs (9k - why this has city status is beyond me.) Amstetten and Waidhofen will be three constituencies, Melk two, Scheibbs one.
Waldviertel (northwest. The Forest Quarter) 182k, 5 seats. Districts of Gmünd (32k), Horn (26k), Waidhofen on Thaya (23k), Zwettl (37k), Krems rural (45k) and the city of Krems (19k). This would map more easily for six seats. As is, Zwettl will be a constituency, there will be a Gmünd-based constituency which may or may not have a bit of Waidhofen added to it. (Bulk of?) Waidhofen and bulk of Horn form one constituency together, remainder of Horn is added to Krems (city and rural) for two constituencies.
Weinviertel (northeast. The Wine Quarter) 232k, 7 seats. Districts of Hollabrunn (41k), Korneuburg (58k), Mistelbach (60k), Gänsendorf (74k). Hollabrunn and Korneuburg will be paired for three constituencies. Mistelbach and Gänsendorf will probably be two each, though might be paired.
Central 190k, 5 seats (I've calculated it. Mostviertel is 5.495, Central is 5.440, and South is 4.488. Really close.) Districts of Tulln (54k), St Pölten rural (76k), Lilienfeld (22k) and city of St Pölten (39k). The city will be a constituency. Tulln and Lilienfeld sadly do not border, so two cross-district constituencies.
Vienna Surrounds 171k, 5 seats. Districts of Mödling 87k and Vienna Surrounds 85k - the latter is four separate pieces all around the city (which was larger than it is today between 1938 and 1954. I think the constituency marks the former extent of the city. The Mödling district was probably created from it at some later date.) No clue how this will end up mapping.
South East 134k, 4 seats. Districts of Baden 101k and Bruck on Leitha 33k. Three and one constituencies, obviously.
South 157k, 4 seats. Districts of Neunkirchen 69k, Wiener Neustadt rural 58k and city of Wiener Neustadt 30k. Probably add a bit of country to the city, and another bit to Neunkirchen to make two, and have a remaining Wiener Neustadt rural - based district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2008, 11:14:10 AM by Nothing has meaning. Least of all you. »

Crazy mapping applet

Amstetten 30.9k. Northeast corner: Wallsee, Oed-Oehling, Amstetten, Winklarn, Sankt Georgen/Y. and northeast.
St Valentin 31.7k. Another of those not-really-large-enough largest towns. Western part: Strengberg, Wolfsbach, St Peter and west.
Waidhofen on Ybbs 33.1k. Remainder, plus city.
Scheibbs 33.3k. District.
Ybbs - Pöchlarn 31.0k. Western part of Melk district - Pöggstall, Artstetten, Klein-Pöchlarn, Pöchlarn, Erlauf, Bergland and west.
Melk 30.0k. Remainder.

Political leanings:
Amstetten districts all badly polarized between SPÖ town (or Linz suburbia in the case of St Valentin) and ÖVP surrounds - net two ÖVP marginal and a safe Waidhofen ÖVP seat.
Scheibbs very safe ÖVP. Melk almost as safe. Ybbs-Pöchlarn an SPÖ marginal.

Zwettl (36.6k) its own seat.
Krems - Wachau (36.6k) The Wachau being the gorge of the Danube upstream from Krems. City and all the rural district's municipalities bordering on or south of the Danube, plus Rohrendorf (near Krems) and Mühldorf (in the west).
? (37.1k) No idea how to call this - Kamp (after the river)? Remainder of Krems rural, and southeastern end of Horn district almost to Horn: Gars, Rosenburg-Mold, Meiseldorf and points southeast.
Waidhofen (Thaya) - Horn (39.1k) All of Waidhofen and main body of Horn districts.
Gmünd (32.1k) I decided to leave this one alone as its own constituency.

Political leanings: Zwettl must be about the ÖVP's safest constituency - an actual majority of the vote. Horn - Waidhofen almost as safe.
Krems-Wachau an ÖVP-held marginal. The one north of that much safer (but not in the same league as the two above). Gmünd OTOH a narrow SPÖ win.

Retz 29.8k (the largest municipality with 3.5k voters, lol. This is just an entirely rural area.) Hollabrunn district except Hollabrunn itself and Göllersdorf.
Stockerau - Hollabrunn 35.0k. These two, plus Großmugl, Leitzersdorf, Spillern and west.
Korneuburg 34.0k. Remainder of district.
Mistelbach - Wolkersdorf 30.3k. Southern part of Mistelbach district as far as Aspern, Mistelbach.
Poydorf - Laa 29.6k. Remainder
Gänserndorf - Marchfeld 38.1k. Southern part of Gänserndorf as far as Weiden, Weikendorf, Gänserndorf, but excluding Strasshof.
Strasshof - Zistersdorf 35.4k. Remainder.
Didn't map too well, but there wasn't a really obvious improvement to be gotten from crossing the district line.

Political leanings:
Retz safe ÖVP. Stockerau-Hollabrunn kept in ÖVP column by Hollabrunn as the Korneuburg part is right about tied. Korneuburg also ÖVP, then. SPÖ keeps it close in Mistelbach-Wolkersdorf, other is a bigger ÖVP win. Both Gänserndorf districts safeish SPÖ despite quite a few areas of strong ÖVP support. Northern one would be quite marginal without Strasshof.

Bottom line so far: ÖVP 14, SPÖ 4.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »

St Pölten city 39.3k.
Lilienfeld - Wilhelmsburg 36.6k. Lilienfeld district, Wilhelmsburg, Weinburg, and that southern extension (the upper Pielach valley) of St Pölten rural.
Herzogenburg - Traismauer 38.3k. Parts of St Pölten rural northwest of the city as far as Herzogenburg and Ober-Grafendorf, plus Sitzenberg-Reidling, Atzenbrugg, Michelhausen and Zwentendorf of Tulln district.
Neulengbach - Sieghartskirchen 38.7k. Remainder of St Pölten rural, plus Sieghartskirchen, Judenau-Baumgarten and Würmla.
Tulln 37.2k. Motheaten remainder of district.

Political leanings: St Pölten safe SPÖ. Lilienfeld-Wilhelmsburg an SPÖ held marginal - the Pielach valley is able to outvote either Lilienfeld District or Wilhelmsburg, but not both. Herzogenburg-Traismauer is ultra close SPÖ (although it's the Tulln bit that makes it so close) - like, 200 votes lead. Others are decentish ÖVP wins, no blowouts. SPÖ is ahead in the constituency...but still quite lucky to take 3 of the 5 constituencies. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:39 AM »

Vienna Surrounds...
Klosterneuburg - Gerasdorf 33.6k. Also includes Mauersbach and Gablitz. Gerasdorf is the northeastern enclave, the others are in the northwest (Klosterneuburg looks like another enclave on the results links map, but it's technically contiguous actually.)
Wienerwald 33.1k. Remainder of western bit of Vienna surrounds and eight upland municipalities of Mödling district (as far as Kaltenleutgeben to Gaaden, plus Gumpoldskirchen for population balance).
Perchtoldsdorf 35.1k. Perchtoldsdorf, Brunn, Maria Enzersdorf, Vösendorf, Hennersdorf, Biedermannsdorf, Achau.
Mödling 33.6k. Mödling, Wiener Neudorf, Guntramsdorf, Laxenburg, Münchendorf.
Schwechat 36.4k. The southeastern portion of Vienna Surrounds district.

Political leanings: ÖVP Klosterneuburg outvotes SPÖ Gerasdorf. Wienerwald and Perchtoldsdorf are ÖVP held marginals, Mödling is SPÖ (quite some town-to-town polarization in this area too btw), Schwechat is safe SPÖ.

Southeast
Bad Vöslau - Berndorf 34.2. Western part of Baden district, to Heiligenkreuz, Sooß, Bad Vöslau,  Schönau (but not Kottingbrunn.)
Baden 33.6. Baden, Pfaffstätten, Traiskirchen.
Ebreichsdorf - Kottingbrunn 33.3. Remainder of district.
Bruck an der Leitha 33.0k. District.

Political leanings: All SPÖ. Somewhat surprisingly, the geographically small Baden constituency is much the closest (Baden itself votes ÖVP.) Ebreichsdorf is safest, and *I think* (didn't calculate exactly) the FPÖ are runners-up there.

South
Wiener Neustadt rural (can't see a good name) 36.7 Northern portion of the district.
Wiener Neustadt40.2 City; Katzelsdorf, Lanzenkirchen, Bad Erlach, Walpersbach, Hochwolkersdorf, Schwarzenbach of rural district.
Neunkirchen - Ternitz (Ternitz is larger, actually) 40.0 northeastern portion of Neunkirchen district, to Puchberg, Burg-Vöstenhof, Ternitz, Grafenbach, Wartmannstetten inclusive, Scheiblingkirchen-Thernberg exclusive.
Gloggnitz (another of these not-really-large-enough-to-stand-alone places) 39.9. Remainder of both districts.

Both Wiener Neustadt districts safe SPÖ, city more so than rural. (The Gloggnitz end of the district is very strongly ÖVP country. Wiener Neustadt city, and probably Neunkirchen as well, have the FPÖ as runner ups.) Gloggnitz is an ÖVP seat - would be marginal, but still ÖVP, without the southern Wiener Neustadt end.

Bottom line second half of state: 12 SPÖ, 6 ÖVP.
State total: 20 ÖVP, 16 SPÖ. This is in keeping with a 1.8 point statewide win. (Upper Austria though... just two seats ahead on a 3.9 point lead... happens when your vote is quite concentrated in the main city I suppose.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 07:13:16 AM »

I hate Vienna and want it to die.

There are precinct results... but no precinct map anywhere... no results by sub-district, above-precinct neighborhoods even though many of these districts are made up of several quite distinct neighborhoods...  It is a crying shame.

So yeah. East Central, 3 seats, 110k voters between the river and the canal. IInd and XXth boroughs. 51k in the XXth and 59k in the II (which includes vast unbuiltup areas, ie the Prater). Obviously one trans-borough constituency and one each in each borough. SPÖ leads are big enough in both districts to make me sure they'd win all three seats (both have the ÖVP in fourth place, btw. They disagree on second place, however.) (Checking through precinct results. Greens won four precincts in the IInd and tied another. Also won a precinct in the XXth, which was beyond the FPÖ.)

South Central, 3 seats, 113k voters in the IIIrd, IVth and Vth boroughs.
Vth (Margareten) at 33.5k is its own constituency. IVth (21.5k) will be joined with a third of the IIIrd (57.7k). This is rather annoying as the IIIrd and Vth are safe SPÖ while the fourth is a three-way with Greens 25.7, ÖVP 25.0, SPÖ 23.6. Depending on how the northwestern part of the IIIrd goes, this constituency might vote for any of these (ÖVP is probably least likely). (Counts... 68 SPÖ, 22 Green, and 22 ÖVP precincts in the IIIrd. Very few non-SPÖ precincts in the middle third of the list.)

West Central, 3 seats, 100k voters in the Ist, VIth, VIIth, VIIIth and IXth boroughs: 14.0k, 21.0k, 20.9k, 16.8k, 27.6k. Lazyness compels to combine the Ist and VIth into an unseemly Innere Stadt - Mariahilf (35.0k) constituency, the VIIth and VIIIth into a Neubau - Josefstadt (37.7k) constituency and make the IXth an undersized Alsergrund (27.6k) constituency.
Ist/VIth is ÖVP marginal against Green, VIIth/VIIIth is almost safe for the Greens due to split opposition, and IXth is a Green marginal (SPÖ second).

Inner Vienna: SPÖ 5, Greens 2, ÖVP 1, impossible to tell 1.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »

North. 214k voters, 6 seats in what is actually the northeast (arguably even the east) part of the city, the XXIst and XXIInd boroughs beyond the Danube (and the canal). XXInd at 103k and XXIInd at 111k should get three seats each, obviously.
In the XXIst, the FPÖ won just six precincts by a combined total of 61 votes, (and the ÖVP won two precincts by a combined total of almost a hundred votes, despite taking just 11% of the vote. Numbered consecutively, too. Must be some village on the edge of the borough or something.) so there's no way the SPÖ's 14-point lead doesn't translate into taking all three constituencies. And in the XXIInd (with similar baseline figures), it's just one non-SPÖ precinct.

North West. 177k voters, 5 seats in 4 boroughs, XVIth to XIXth.

59.4k, 33.8k, 33.2k, 50.6k. All long corridor-shaped. Meaning (unless I want to create a constituency from totally disjoint bits of the XVIth and XIXth) I can't use the boroughs. And as the XVIIIth (by a healthy margin) and the XIXth (narrowly) vote ÖVP while the other two are SPÖ, the XIXth mirroring the XVIIIth (including the fact that both have a very sizeable Green presence) and the XVIth along traditional SPÖ stronghold lines, one can only guess at partisan balance: 3 SPÖ, 2 ÖVP.
Precinct count:
XVIth SPÖ 75, ÖVP 4 (the outer village phenomenon again), FPÖ 1, Greens 1.
XVIIth SPÖ 35, ÖVP 9, Greens 2 and one SPÖ-Greens tie.
XVIIIth ÖVP 27, SPÖ 19, Greens 6. Inner parts (well, lower-numbered parts anyhow. ÖVP places in the XVIIth are also in the upper numbers) are basically an SPÖ-Green marginal area with the ÖVP a strong third. Outer parts vote strongly ÖVP except for some bits that vote strongly SPÖ.
XIXth SPÖ 42, ÖVP 40, one tie, one ÖVP-Green tie. Looks finely balanced, but actually parts of the borough are so lopsided it's not healthy to look at.

Makes me wonder... my first instinct on mapping this would be sort of m-shaped: Inner parts of Ottakring; Outer parts of Ottakring and Hernals; Inner parts of Hernals and Währing; Outer parts of Währing and western parts of Döbling; remander of Döbling (that's XVIth to XIXth, in case you were wondering.) Looking at the precinct figures, it's conceivable that such a map might come out as an SPÖ gerrymander that banishes enough ÖVP voters to the Outer Währing/Western Döbling constituency to allow the SPÖ to take the remaining four. Impossible to tell without knowledge of Döbling internal demographics.

South West. 212k voters, 6 constituencies in four boroughs. XIIIth 40.0, XIVth 61.1, XVth 41.1, XXIII 70.0. Two seats in the XXIIIrd. One XIIIth based and one XVth based seat, both of which might or might not shed some areas to the XIVth to make two constituencies there. (Normally, I would look at a map to see if any areas suggest themselves. If none, I might decide to leave boundaries intact.)
XIIIth is sufficiently ÖVP that it should remain so no matter what we remove. Same with SPÖ in the XVth. XVIth has some Green precincts at the low-numbered end, and some ÖVP precincts at both ends, while the middle range is solid SPÖ, typically with FPÖ second. Doubt that splitting this ends up with a non-SPÖ seat. Even if a bit of the XIIIth is drafted in.
The XXIIIrd isn't quite as solid for the SPÖ, despite winning 80-odd precincts to the ÖVP's 11 and the FPÖ's two. Most of it is classic SPÖ-FPÖ country, with ÖVP strongholds thrown in (older village cores or posh developments spilling over from the XIIIth?) I can't *rule out* that one seat will be interesting after a split, but I'm reasonably sure of calling both for the SPÖ.

South. 231k voters in 7 constituencies but just three boroughs.
Lazyness allows two seats for the XIth (59.4k), three for the Xth (114.3k) and two for the XIIth  (57.6k), although I might renege on the latter if someone find me some better data.
All of this is archetypal SPÖ-FPÖ country. I counted six FPÖ precinct wins among the first 136 Xth borough precincts and then got bored. I have no doubts the SPÖ takes all seven seats here.

Bottom line Vienna:
SPÖ 26, ÖVP 4, Greens 2, impossible to tell 1. This is assuming two ÖVP seats in the Northwest - the SPÖ best scenario is SPÖ 28, ÖVP 3, Greens 2. Well, they don't call it the Red Vienna for nothing, you know. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

Burgenland. Two constituencies, north and south, with 118k and 112k voters but four and three seats.

Map (Note - blue line is lakeshore, not some river!)

North has three districts and two cities...
Mattersburg district (30.7k) is certainly a constituency.
Eisenstadt (29.3k) city, parts of the district west and south of it as far as Stotzing, Trausdorf, Siegendorf.
Neusiedl (28.6k) Remainder of Eisenstadt district, Rust (1500 voters - why is this a city? Huh ), Neusiedl district as far as Weiden and Parndorf.
Burgenland North East 29.8k (largest place is Gols at 2.9k voters). Remainder.

Voting: All safe SPÖ, no blowouts. Yeah, despite Eisenstadt itself voting ÖVP (Neusiedl too, actually, though by a tiny margin).

South: Oberpullendorf 31.2, Oberwart 43.7, Güssing 22.1, Jennersdorf 14.7.
Combining the latter two as a Güssing-Jennersdorf constituency.
Transferring some northern Oberwart district municipalities to the Oberpullendorf constituency, namely the five along the district border with 6.7k voters between them.

Voting: Southern one sort of marginal, but all SPÖ.

Bottom line Burgenland: SPÖ 7.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2008, 05:46:46 AM by Laurent Chabosy »

Styria approximate outlines:
West, 3 seats, 87k voters. 3 districts of Murau (24.8), Judenburg (38.2) and Knittelfeld (23.7). Parts of Judenburg will go into Murau and Knittelfeld-based constituencies.
North West, 3 seats, 118k voters (yeah, 2.499 vs 3.401.) 2 districts of Liezen (64.5) and Leoben (53.7), forcing a cross-district constituency.
North, 3 seats, 86k voters (2.488...) 2 districts of Bruck on the Mur (51.8) and Mürzzuschlag (34.5). Really tempted to deviate from the principles of keeping constituency borders unbroken right now... Hmm... might draw both variants. (ie, part Liezen; part Liezen, part Leoben; part Leoben; part Bruck; part Bruck, part Mürzzuschlag; part Mürzzuschlag vs. part Liezen; part Liezen; part Leoben; part Leoben, part Bruck; part Bruck; Mürzzuschlag.)
Central, 4 seats, 158k voters. 2 districts of Voitsberg (44.4) and Graz rural (113.3). One cross-district constituency.
I don't get it btw. According to my math this should be five seats (4.547). North should be just two.
Graz, 5 seats, 190k voters. City.
South, 3 seats, 113k voters. 2 districts of Deutschlandsberg (50.5) and Leibnitz (62.1). Cross-district constituency needed.
South East, 3 seats, 93k voters. 3 districts of Radkersburg (19.3), Feldbach (55.2) and Fürstenfeld (18.8). You guessed it.
East, 4 seats, 126k voters. Two districts of Weiz (71.2) and Hartberg (55.1). Suppose there'll be a cross-district constituency here as well.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »

Mystery solved. The figure used is actually not the no. of registered voters, but the no. of citizen residents plus any voting age citizens living abroad registered to vote in the locality (since there's no special Austrians Abroad category, obviously they'll be registered to vote either in a former home town or not at all). Though all the intra-country constituencies that I had previously calculated (ie, looked very close) were the same as if registered voters were used, the state's allocation would actually be different - based on registered voters, Vienna (very narrowly) gains a seat from Upper Austria.

So, yeah. I'll just take the official seat numbers. Smiley

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2008, 05:45:34 AM by Laurent Chabosy »

Styria Mapping Aplet

West, 3 seats, 87k voters. 3 districts of Murau (24.8), Judenburg (38.2) and Knittelfeld (23.7).
Murau 26.8k. District, municipalities of Unzmarkt-Frauenburg and St Georgen ob Judenburg.
Judenburg 30.1k. District except for Unzmarkt-Frauenburg, St Georgen, Zeltweg. (Alternatively, I could have moved that entire far northern mountain area to Murau. Same thing as far as population balance goes, really. I would not suggest splitting that area, what with lack of communication links etc.)
Knittelfeld - Zeltweg 29.8 Knittelfeld district, Zeltweg town.

Political leanings: Murau safe ÖVP, other two very safe SPÖ.

North West, 3 seats, 118k voters. 2 districts of Liezen (64.5) and Leoben (53.7).
Liezen - Eisenerz 39.6 Liezen, Lassing, Rottenmann and east; Eisenerz, Gai, Kammern and west.
Bad Aussee - Upper Enns Valley 37.7 Remainder of Liezen district.
Leoben 40.9 Remainder of Leoben district.

Bad Aussee seems to be marginally ÖVP, other two are ultra-SPÖ country, of twice-the-nearest-challenger proportions.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »

other two are ultra-SPÖ country, of twice-the-nearest-challenger proportions.

Why [qm]

(know hardly anything about that part of Austria)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2008, 02:07:16 PM by Laurent Chabosy »

Let's just translate, word by word, part of the second sentence in the German wiki article on the town of Eisenerz...

Ironore lies on Ore Creek amid the steep cliffs of the Iron Ore Alps (...) and the reddish slopes of Ore Mountain, which is the largest iron ore mining area in Europe.

Here he is:

Town's less than half its 1950 size.

Local elections seem even more lopsided... remember they use pr for them... current council...
# SPÖ: 17
# ÖVP: 3
# Grüne: 2
# KPÖ: 2
# FPÖ: 1
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »

Wow (at the picture). I think that explains everything. Very interesting actually.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies