Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 10:35:44 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?
Yes   -41 (54.7%)
No   -34 (45.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?  (Read 6276 times)
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:58:19 pm »
Ignore

Yes. It's a worthless, outdated relic. The idea behind it it was to conserve candle wax. Let's move on.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
NDN
YaBB God
Uganda

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:00:35 am »
Ignore

Agreed, it's a farce.

ABANDON ALL HOPE
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:45:25 am »
Ignore

The only thing it does for me is worry me in the Springtime. I might forget to set my clock forward, & end up being late to wherever.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:27 am »
Ignore

Yes

??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:51:01 am »
Ignore

Wouldn't that whack your daylight up in Meeenasoooda?
Judäischen Volksfront
exnaderite
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:07:28 am »
Ignore

Or you could be like Hugo Chavez, moving the country 30 minutes forward just for the sake of spiting the Yankee Imperialists.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:30:55 am »
Ignore

let's just use an Earth-time and get rid of all time zones and adjustments.

If you're in Mongolia or Toronoto or whatever, you wake up at 3 am or 9 pm, or whatever it is.

this is real
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 02:48:03 am »
Ignore

I'd rather abolish standard time than DST.

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:06:10 am »
Ignore

Doesn't DST save us a bunch of money in regards to energy consumption?
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:53:38 am »
Ignore

Same thing really - just abolish the stupid clockmoving.

Doesn't DST save us a bunch of money in regards to energy consumption?
No. That was a sales angle back in the 70s, but it's a load of hogwash.

Yes. It's a worthless, outdated relic. The idea behind it it was to conserve candle wax. Let's move on.
Actually, it was invented to force people to witness the undeniably prettiest periods in earth's existence - early summer mornings, which most of you still sleep through despite DST.
And it was introduced in countries to make wartime nightly blackouts more bearable.
And then it was reintroduced god knows why.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:23 am »
Ignore

All that abolishing DST here would do is make it start to get light out at 3am in June.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:00:49 pm »
Ignore

updaters remind me of scumbags.

Tomorrow, I will probably have Chick-fil-a for lunch and try to eat light when I go to the McDonald's on the turnpike for dinner.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:23 pm »
Ignore

^^^

Exactly, I love being able to be outside longer.  All eliminating DST would do is make kids fatter

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 04:00:58 pm »
Ignore

We need to keep DST, but it should only be in force from the first Sunday in April to the first Sunday in September.  (Maybe a little longer if the southern States all opted out of it.)

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. — Khaled Hosseini
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 11:45:53 am »
Ignore

No--I like having sunlight after work.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Breaking hearts and minds
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 06:31:38 am »
Ignore

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:38 am »
Ignore

Starts in Victoria in two minutes...

I was raised in Queensland, where we don't have it. There was a referendum. 60% of people in south-east Qld were in favour (this is where the main cities are), but 60% in the remainder of the state (rural) were opposed, and just had the numbers to abolish it. Since then, population growth in the S-E corner has resulted in the numbers changing, although it hasn't yet been re-introduced. Typically, farmers are opposed to it. Most arguments against are ludicrous - the cows won't know when to be milked, the curtains will fade, etc. Indeed, I read a letter to the editor the other day in a rural newspaper, in which the letter writer attributed daylight saving as the cause of the drought and global warming because the sun is up for an extra hour, drying out the atmosphere... the scariest thought, though, is that this person votes...
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 11:32:35 am »
Ignore

This is a generally held sentiment, regardless of the original reason for implementing DST.

This would serve the first statement, and it would effectively redefine each of the time zones by one hour. However, in northern states, the darkness in the winter mornings is seen as a problem for school kids waiting for their bus.

One could avoid shifting the clock and recognize that different regions have different seasonal needs. That would require the individual businesses, stores, and schools to shift their hours of operation to accommodate the seasons. Some stores do make seasonal changes to their hours of operation now. Overall, I'm not sure that the public would favor that sort of case-by-case time shift for all institutions.

Partial solar eclipse of October 23, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 11:46:34 am »
Ignore

If we get rid of standard time, the sun wouldn't rise until 9am here in December... and would then only be up until about 5:30... hardly worth it.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 12:01:20 pm »
Ignore

If we get rid of standard time, the sun wouldn't rise until 9am here in December...
That might make you notice that while light in the evening after work is pleasant, only in the morning before work does it seriously affect your quality of life.

Re Smid's Cows - the cows will still know when they're milked, as farmers tend to basically ignore DST as far as their own working hours are concerned.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 12:20:28 pm »
Ignore

If we get rid of standard time, the sun wouldn't rise until 9am here in December...
That might make you notice that while light in the evening after work is pleasant, only in the morning before work does it seriously affect your quality of life.

Re Smid's Cows - the cows will still know when they're milked, as farmers tend to basically ignore DST as far as their own working hours are concerned.

I agree, except in the summer.  We have a cabin on the WSW side of a lake... and man, those sunrises can be absolutely beautiful.  The only problem is... it starts getting light out at 4am and by 5am it's so bright inside the cabin and the birds are chirping like you wouldn't believe that sleep is impossible.  It's beautiful... but I'm more of a sunset person.

I do have a great memory of my grandma waking up extra early to make us chocolate chip pancakes and I went in to get more milk to drink and a chipmunk made off with a good chunk of one of my pancakes. 

-Paul Wellstone

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 03:46:59 am »
Ignore

I'm three degrees to your north, in case you're not aware. Smiley

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 11:51:12 pm »
Ignore

Plus it does save electricity and lives. Not a lot, but still.
Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:23 am »
Ignore

Oh, I know that and you know that... I was just rehashing a couple of arguments that come up every time we talk about re-introducing it in Queensland.
MasterJedi
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: 6.43

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
Ignore

No, we can keep it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »