Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:52:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?  (Read 11651 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »

Starts in Victoria in two minutes...

I was raised in Queensland, where we don't have it. There was a referendum. 60% of people in south-east Qld were in favour (this is where the main cities are), but 60% in the remainder of the state (rural) were opposed, and just had the numbers to abolish it. Since then, population growth in the S-E corner has resulted in the numbers changing, although it hasn't yet been re-introduced. Typically, farmers are opposed to it. Most arguments against are ludicrous - the cows won't know when to be milked, the curtains will fade, etc. Indeed, I read a letter to the editor the other day in a rural newspaper, in which the letter writer attributed daylight saving as the cause of the drought and global warming because the sun is up for an extra hour, drying out the atmosphere... the scariest thought, though, is that this person votes...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:23 AM »

If we get rid of standard time, the sun wouldn't rise until 9am here in December...
That might make you notice that while light in the evening after work is pleasant, only in the morning before work does it seriously affect your quality of life.

Re Smid's Cows - the cows will still know when they're milked, as farmers tend to basically ignore DST as far as their own working hours are concerned.

Oh, I know that and you know that... I was just rehashing a couple of arguments that come up every time we talk about re-introducing it in Queensland.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies