Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:09:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Should Daylight Savings Time be abolished?  (Read 11633 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 30, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »

We need to keep DST, but it should only be in force from the first Sunday in April to the first Sunday in September.  (Maybe a little longer if the southern States all opted out of it.)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

While I think DST lasts too long now, I'm not opposed to the idea.  However, one idiotic idea of chronology that needs to be done away with is the leap second.

I also think the time zone boundaries in the US need adjusting westward and to be consolidated into three time zones.

Blue = Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5)
Red = Central Time Zone (UTC-6)
Green = Western Time Zone (UTC-7) renamed from Mountain Time Zone since it includes all the former Pacific Time Zone states, and calling it Pacific Time would cause confusion

Puerto Rico and the USVI would remain in the Atlantic Time Zone. (UTC-4).

Alaska is far enough north, that whatever time zone they find convenient should be used. Keeping on Alaska Time (UTC-9) probably would be best.

Hawaii and the Aleutians should join American Samoa in using UTC-11 and the time zone renamed the Central Pacific Time Zone. (To be simplified to Pacific Time Zone after a decade or so.)  All the minor uninhabited U.S. Pacific islands should also use UTC-11, with the exception of Wake, which is currently UTC+12.

Guam and the Northern Marianas should stay at UTC+10, placing Wake at UTC+10 as well would keep it from having a time zone of its own. since Wake is uninhabited, I see no need to change the name from Chamorro Time Zone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies