NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg To Seek Third Term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:38:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg To Seek Third Term
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg To Seek Third Term  (Read 6077 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »

Anyone think he will win a third term, despite voters' resistance to overturning term-limits?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloomberg Called Ready to Announce Third-Term Bid

By MICHAEL BARBARO and DAVID W. CHEN
Published: September 30, 2008

After months of speculation about his political future, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg plans to announce on Thursday morning that he will seek a third term as mayor, according to three people who have been told of his plans.

The extraordinary move promises to upend New York City’s political world.

Right now, Mr. Bloomberg is barred by law from seeking re-election. But he will propose trying to revise the city’s 15-year-old term limits law, which would otherwise force him and dozens of other elected leaders out of office in 2009, the three people said.

In his announcement, Mr. Bloomberg, a former Wall Street trader and founder of a billion-dollar financial data firm, is expected to argue that the financial crisis unfolding in New York City demands his steady hand and proven business acumen.

The move represents an about-face for Mr. Bloomberg, who has repeatedly said he supports term limits and once called an effort to revise the law “disgusting.” He will apparently try to do so through legislation in the City Council, rather than the ballot box.

Mr. Bloomberg’s gambit carries significant political risk. The city’s term limits law was passed twice by voters, in 1993 and 1996, and several polls show widespread popular support for keeping it in place. Under the plan Mr. Bloomberg has outlined to associates, those voters will have no say in the matter, raising the possibility of a backlash.

Mr. Bloomberg, 66, who in public statements in recent weeks has become equivocal about term limits, has discussed in detail with his friends and advisers the pros and cons of changing the law and running again. “This has been thoroughly thought out by the mayor,” said a person who has advised the mayor in the past.

The mayor’s press office, which had limited staffing because of Rosh Hashanah, did not immediately return a phone call on Tuesday.

Over the last few weeks, Mr. Bloomberg has taken pains to showcase his financial experience, trading phone calls with the heads of struggling banks, like Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch and the nation’s top financial regulators at the Federal Reserve and the Securities Exchange Commission.

With his decision, Mr. Bloomberg is overruling the advice of this top three aides at City Hall — Edward Skyler, Patricia E. Harris and Kevin Sheekey — who have all told associates that they oppose a third term.

Those aides have told the mayor — at times forcefully — that any campaign to challenge the term limits law would look like an end run around voters, and could sully his strong legacy over the last eight years, according to people familiar with the conversations.

In the business community, however, the prospect of a Bloomberg third term is overwhelmingly positive. In dozens of private meetings and telephone calls over the last few months, executives ranging from the financier Steven Rattner to the chief executive of the News Corporation, Rupert Murdoch, have encouraged him to seek a third term.

As the city’s economy has become imperiled over the last two weeks, support for such a move has intensified.

“He has the confidence of the business community and the executive ability to run the city,” said Stephen M. Ross, the chief executive of Related Companies, a major developer. “This is a good time for him to do this. People are scared.”

The chances of passing legislation in the City Council are strong, according to interviews. In August, a New York Times survey of council members — two-thirds of whom are scheduled to be forced out of office in 2009 — found that a majority of them were willing to amend the term limits law.

If successful, Mr. Bloomberg would be only the fourth New York mayor in modern history to win a third term.

Charles V. Bagli and Jim Dwyer contributed reporting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:57:19 PM »

Interesting.  I do wonder if he could win, if the law were overturned.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »

I guess he's done a fine job managing the city but I really can't stand this guy. I know a number of people got on my case about not supporting him in 2005 and actually saying that I want the Dems to win. I kind of went back on that claim especially since Ferrer was such a clown. It's very easy for me to want the NYC Dems when I'm not as familiar with them. I'm sure it would be very different if I lived in NYC and was active in politics. If I lived there, I would have voted for the Conservative (I believe his name was Ognibene) or not voted at all.

I'll consider supporting whoever the Democratic nominee is next year. Hopefully, it's someone competent.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »

He'll probably win because of the economic times, but I'm voting against him and anyone else who lets him get away with it.  I don't care if it's Al Sharpton.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »

What are the chances that the NYC GOP runs someone? What's Ognibene or even Badillo up to these days? I'm sure the former would like to run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

Wow...it looks like the GOP may have some credible candidates - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_mayoral_election,_2009#Potential_Republican_candidates

LOL @ possible Democratic candidate Donny Deutsch.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »

That would be hilarious if the Dems lost again. They should be winning every election with over 80% in NYC, even if the Republicans are RINOs.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »

He'd run as an independent, I assume?

Much as I love the guy, it's rather presumptuous to announce for a third term before the law has changed.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »

I have a feeling Weiner is going to be the Dem nominee, which is just plain scary.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »

Does he still want to President, maybe?

Hoping for a one term Obama (or McCain)?

But, I think this actually puts him in a worse position for Governor in 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »

That would be hilarious if the Dems lost again. They should be winning every election with over 80% in NYC, even if the Republicans are RINOs.

He's an Independent now and will be running as an Independent again (unless the GOP also nominates him). I hope the GOP doesn't back him. I would like either Daniels, Kelly or Molinari. This State Senator Marty Golden seems interesting, too. A Republican State Senator from...Brooklyn.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »

He's an Independent now and will be running as an Independent again (unless the GOP also nominates him). I hope the GOP doesn't back him. I would like either Daniels, Kelly or Molinari. This State Senator Marty Golden seems interesting, too. A Republican State Senator from...Brooklyn.

Marty Golden won't win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

Marty Golden won't win.

I wasn't really expecting any Republican to win.  Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27:16 PM »

Since Giuliani has endorsed him, he would not have my vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »

Has he endorsed him for a third term or do you mean in the past?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »

Has he endorsed him for a third term or do you mean in the past?

For a third term. For that reason alone Bloomberg MUST be removed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:43 AM »

When did he do this?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:25 AM »

Guys, I don't like the guy either but there is no question that he'll crush whoever is thrown at him.  And let's be honest, he's at least better than the string of clowns that came before him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 08:23:05 AM »

Does he still want to President, maybe?

Hoping for a one term Obama (or McCain)?

But, I think this actually puts him in a worse position for Governor in 2010.

Ummm....obviously, if he actually goes through with this, he's not going to run for governor in 2010.  What's the point of pushing for a change in the law, just to allow him to serve one year of the term he'd win in 2009?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »

Bloomberg is an arrogant twit thinking he, and only he, can manage the city's affairs at this time.

Overturning laws for self serving purposes, disguised as being in the public interest, is the approach of an autocrat.

Bloomberg deserves to get slapped down, big time.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »

FYI, term limits removed by a vote of 29-22
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »

Bloomberg is an arrogant twit thinking he, and only he, can manage the city's affairs at this time.

Overturning laws for self serving purposes, disguised as being in the public interest, is the approach of an autocrat.

Bloomberg deserves to get slapped down, big time.

If it had been Romney, though, it'd be for the good of the city Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »

FYI, term limits removed by a vote of 29-22

I just read the New York Times article on this.  While I support extending term limits to three consecutive terms instead of just two, I would still have preferred the referendum process over the unilateral move the Council has just done.  I think Bloomberg has just hurt his re-election prospects badly.  Even if he were to win a third term, it would likely be a Pyrrhic victory in the end. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies