Nader to announce on Meet the Press (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:23:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nader to announce on Meet the Press (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nader to announce on Meet the Press  (Read 7727 times)
dunn

« on: February 24, 2004, 05:01:36 AM »

nym90
Actually, not wanting to waste my money and my brothers’ blood chasing after empire is most definitely a very conservative attitude, thank you very much.  And that other stuff mostly defies glib labeling.  For example, the two most often cited cases of gun control gone awry are Germany in 1938 and Russia in 1918, so clearly both the far right and the far left are capable of pulling one's warm live fingers from around the barrel.  IF WE LET THEM.  (by the bye, this is one issue where Ralph, wearing his nanny hat, gets under my skin a bit.)

I decided to get a big 'ol blue state of California to show I'm a Republican.  I had been a Democrat from about 85 to 96ish, then Declined-to-State, now Republican.  It’s…  Well, it’s easy to support socialized medicine when you’re in grad school living on a 1500-dollar a month government stipend, but now I say “you get pregnant, pay for your own damned abortion.”  When I landed that first real job a few years ago, I saw the light (or at least that part illuminating my what was left of my labors after taxes).  Mama said this would happen some day.

you are more Isolationist then immigration-friendly fore sure - "Oh, and I'm an American and I actually chose CA because I live here.  There's a thought"
 - are you calling non-Amarican not to take part in this forum?

dunn

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 01:08:36 PM »

Dunn, absolutely not.  Just as I had an opionion about the Chriac/LePen/Jospin race, or Vicente Fox's current failures & successes, or Alejandro Toledo's intriguing love/hate relationship with the peruvians, I expect foreigners will have an opinion about my government.  In fact some of my fondest memories are of being on a 2nd class bus with the goats and chickens in the third world discussing politics with the locals.  And, in fact, I was working in Amsterdam in 2002 (at VU in buitenveldert if you're familiar) when Pim Fortuyn was shot and had many fruitful discussions with the locals.  Indeed, I am only a 2d=generation American, I just assimilated quicker than most.  We are richer for their opinions here and we are richer for our history of diversity, and I for one think the way to spread culture is to open our great universities and our borders, not spill blood and money.  I apologize if I wasn't clear about that earlier.  In fact the idea to be open about why I am a republican and what kind of republican I am I got from the foreigners who post in this forum, most of whom have interesting tag lines.  Yet another contribution.  Free markets and Free exchange of ideas are why I'm a republican, and those lofty ideals, along with my native language, came from England.  The car I drive came from Germany, my girlfriend of five years is a citizen of China, and my current best buddy is a Swede.  I really don't want to be misinterpreted in the way you suggest.  Though, I admit, the tongue-in-cheek line in the sig is probably asking for a healthy load of rhetorical backlash.  As Washington Post writer Marcela Sanchez often points out in her excellent Spanish articles intended for US observers in Latin America, "In the US, mockery is one of the sincerest forms of flattery."  Or something like that.

ok. you made your point. no hard feelings... Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies