Research 2000: McCain is not competetive in Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:37:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Research 2000: McCain is not competetive in Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Research 2000: McCain is not competetive in Iowa  (Read 1476 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »

Obama 55%
McCain 39%

http://www.kcci.com/politics/17598982/detail.html

Why was he just there? Is his internal polling messed up?

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »

More importantly, why are we still polling this so much? We get it....its over.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »

Obama's going to win Iowa by double digits.

I wonder if the networks will call it immediately.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »

Obama's going to win Iowa by double digits.

I wonder if the networks will call it immediately.

Depends, I think, if it looks like it might matter. If the exit polls show Obama considerably ahead in Virginia, Florida, Ohio, etc. as he's polling right now and essentially tied in North Carolina and Indiana, then they'll probably call Iowa right away. If things tighten up somewhat, they won't call it immediately because it is alleged to be competitive, much like North Carolina in 2004.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »

More importantly, why are we still polling this so much? We get it....its over.

You aren't loving it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »

McCain has gone out of his way to poo ethanol at every opportunity. This was very predictable. I expect him to significantly underperform in Nebraska as well though he'll still win there comfortably.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

McCain has gone out of his way to poo ethanol at every opportunity. This was very predictable. I expect him to significantly underperform in Nebraska as well though he'll still win there comfortably.
Perhaps a few other states too that have significant amounts of corn ethanol production?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »

The status of Iowa in this election, I think, says something larger about the election as a whole.

Even though Bush didn't win every state in 2004 that he won in 2000 (New Hampshire), he at least had a good shot to win all of the close states he'd previously won.

McCain having to write off states that voted GOP in 2004 is a bad sign.  And even if he has spent some money in Iowa, surely his campaign has been aware that Iowa has basically been safe Obama all year.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »

Perhaps a few other states too that have significant amounts of corn ethanol production?

It's a reasonable explaination why IN is so strangely competitive this year. McCain will be the biggest joke candidate since Dukakis if he loses IN.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

It's a reasonable explaination why IN is so strangely competitive this year. McCain will be the biggest joke candidate since Dukakis if he loses IN.

Don't think so.  Not sure if we have any internals of the IN polls to show it and even if we did the MOE would likely be too high to really make any solid point.  With that being said, Obama being from a neighboring state helps, especially considering NW Indiana is suburban Chicago.  Also obama is likely to make major gains from Kerry in suburban Indianapolis, which is likely where the biggest difference will be seen.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:00:29 PM »

Well, to be fair, he did just tell them that they were going to lose their ethanol subsudies.. and then told the DM-Register ed board to suck it... so, yeah, that could push a few moderates.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »

Well, to be fair, he did just tell them that they were going to lose their ethanol subsudies.. and then told the DM-Register ed board to suck it... so, yeah, that could push a few moderates.

Good, ethanol is a bogeyman that's polluting our wonderful Gulf of Mexico.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

Does WalterMitty still honestly think McCain has a chance here?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 11:15:58 PM »

Yeah I don't think that is the reason why IN is competitive but I am sure it helps in many agricultural areas.

First off, corn isn't grown much in Indiana in the first place and really only corn farmers and their dependents would be turned off by anti-ethanol talk and second I really doubt it affects that many votes outside of areas that are extremely corn dependent.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

Well, considering McCain has pissed on Iowa this entire election cycle, this is no surprise.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »

Given Iowa's history of being close, it's not entirely ill-advised for McCain to keep spending money in Iowa. Perhaps the McCain campaign is betting on some late movement towards him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies