Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:13:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: see above
Yes, absolutely

Yes, in some form

No, God forgives no matter what

No, suicide is viewed the same as death by God

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?  (Read 7575 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 02:13:11 AM »

I'm pretty surprised at how many people here think that it's a selfish act. Is it selfish is some regards? Yes. I'm not sure that it is in most cases though. Now when we're talking about Budd Dwyer type situations...well...don't even get me started on that disgrace...

Well, I think when a lot of people say it's "selfish" they are not necessarily talking about the person who kills himself. I think, at least to me, that the act is selfish to the family of the loved one. How a person could end their life when they may have a lot of family for support and he is taking himself from his/her family. I worked with someone who killed himself and he had a wife and two children, very sad for his family and very selfish.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 02:18:25 AM »

I'm pretty surprised at how many people here think that it's a selfish act. Is it selfish is some regards? Yes. I'm not sure that it is in most cases though. Now when we're talking about Budd Dwyer type situations...well...don't even get me started on that disgrace...

Well, I think when a lot of people say it's "selfish" they are not necessarily talking about the person who kills himself. I think, at least to me, that the act is selfish to the family of the loved one. How a person could end their life when they may have a lot of family for support and he is taking himself from his/her family. I worked with someone who killed himself and he had a wife and two children, very sad for his family and very selfish.

Oh, yes, I totally agree with that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »

I could see this situationally.  An act of martyrdom could be considered suicide. 

I would also say that it is not always, even in non-martyrdom cases, selfish.  Someone who kills themselves not to be a burden to others is not selfish.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 09:11:47 AM »

I could see this situationally.  An act of martyrdom could be considered suicide. 

I would also say that it is not always, even in non-martyrdom cases, selfish.  Someone who kills themselves not to be a burden to others is not selfish.

I think calling someone a "burden" to someone is a horrible way to look at life.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »

I think calling someone a "burden" to someone is a horrible way to look at life.

life is no fairytale, States.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »

Duh, but that doesn't make that statement non-great. Of course, as of late, you've had a rather depressing view of things.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2008, 06:02:56 PM by J. J. »

There may be a time when it will be me.  I've signed the order and have the person to carry it out chosen.  I've basically told everyone else to f*** off.

Terminate with extreme prejudice. 

I'm not one to stand on ceremony.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »

Option 4.  I believe that suicide, while its a sin, is no more sinful than any other sin outside of blasphemy of God himself.  It depends if the person had given their heart and life to Christ sometime in their life before he or she ended it.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »

but what is 'eternal separation from God?'  what makes it so bad?
Because humanity's relationship with God could be its only source of purpose in the universe.  Of course you're a nihilist, so you've given up on the pursuit of meaning or purpose for humanity, but it's a question that troubles me constantly.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

but what is 'eternal separation from God?'  what makes it so bad?
Because humanity's relationship with God could be its only source of purpose in the universe.  Of course you're a nihilist, so you've given up on the pursuit of meaning or purpose for humanity, but it's a question that troubles me constantly.

Why does humanity need a purpose in the universe? We can fool ourselves with faith into believing whatever suits us to mask the meaninglessness of existence, and therefore be bombarded with complications and implications arising from said faith. What is so wrong with believing that our existence is unexplainable and therefore living our lives simply in the best ways we're aware, seeking no fulfillment besides solutions to that which seems prudent now and in the long term? There is happiness in simplicity and contentedness in simply living to be - for whatever flicker of time we've been granted. Ultimately a search for a "deeper purpose" will arrive to something wholly simplistic, as such.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies