Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 07:21:42 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: see above
Yes, absolutely   -1 (12.5%)
Yes, in some form   -1 (12.5%)
No, God forgives no matter what   -2 (25%)
No, suicide is viewed the same as death by God   -4 (50%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?  (Read 4380 times)
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:24 pm »
Ignore

Christians, Muslims and Jews here, what is your take on this issue?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »
Ignore

no. Sometimes people believe in fate/ destiny. And you can't control it. But sometimes times in after life you can repent. That is if you believe in it.

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:12 pm »
Ignore

I'm not going to vote because I am not a member of said religions.

but what is 'eternal separation from God?'  what makes it so bad?  Hell would suck if it's all fiery and whatnot, but from what I understand that is a medieval creation and the initial definition was, in fact, 'separation from God.'
Reluctant Republican
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »
Ignore

I don’t know. I hope not, personally. Most people who kill themselves are in such dire straits already, I’d hope God would grant some leniency to them. And what about the people who are old, or dying of some terrible disease who take their life because they can no longer take the physical pain? What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care? I personally  just think there have to exceptions to the whole rule, depending on the whole situation. I guess the question really is, is there such a thing as a “justifiable suicide?” And is it a sin in God’s eyes to begin with? But hey, I guess no one truly knows.

"Alcée Arobin's manner was so genuine that it often decieved even himself."

"In addition to my other numerous acquaintances, I have one more intimate confidant. . . . My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known- no wonder, then, that I return the love.”

― Søren Kierkegaard
cutie_15
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
Ignore

I don’t know. I hope not, personally. Most people who kill themselves are in such dire straits already, I’d hope God would grant some leniency to them. And what about the people who are old, or dying of some terrible disease who take their life because they can no longer take the physical pain? What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care? I personally  just think there have to exceptions to the whole rule, depending on the whole situation. I guess the question really is, is there such a thing as a “justifiable suicide?” And is it a sin in God’s eyes to begin with? But hey, I guess no one truly knows.

The way you just wrote, " What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care" sounds like they would kill themselfs over the amount of money. Yet god thinks money is not what should keep a family together.

Reluctant Republican
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:54 pm »
Ignore

The way you just wrote, " What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care" sounds like they would kill themselfs over the amount of money. Yet god thinks money is not what should keep a family together.

Well, it depends on they could hold on in agony for three months or so and rack up a huge bill at the hospital that goes to their family and ruins all their lives, or they can end it now and save the family finances and prevent the family from having them see the decline of their once beloved family member. Faced with these options, what would you do? I’d hope to have enough courage to kill myself, in this scenario.

And Money is not everything, but we live in an imperfect world, and I so for the sake of things, I think it’s better to do everything you can to protect your family from additional hardships, I think.

"Alcée Arobin's manner was so genuine that it often decieved even himself."

"In addition to my other numerous acquaintances, I have one more intimate confidant. . . . My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known- no wonder, then, that I return the love.”

― Søren Kierkegaard
cutie_15
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:07:38 pm »
Ignore

Well, it depends on they could hold on in agony for three months or so and rack up a huge bill at the hospital that goes to their family and ruins all their lives, or they can end it now and save the family finances and prevent the family from having them see the decline of their once beloved family member. Faced with these options, what would you do? I’d hope to have enough courage to kill myself, in this scenario.

And Money is not everything, but we live in an imperfect world, and I so for the sake of things, I think it’s better to do everything you can to protect your family from additional hardships, I think.
Why are you looking at in in the "Napoleon" way?

Tik! On ice!
ComradeCarter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:41 pm »
Ignore

As a post-Christian, I have heard Christians declare to me that suicide is an unforgivable sin. None could ever point at why this was. Perhaps it is the ultimate act of selfishness, ending your own existence. It's playing God with your very being. If you could see me I would be shrugging right now.

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:11 am »
Ignore

post-Christian

hah, I like that.  it sounds like a music or art genre.  but I think you chose that phrasing over "ex-Christian" for a reason.  is post-Christianity the natural evolution of a disillusioned and intellectual yet spiritual individual who doesn't categorically reject Christ but instead, sees him as a set of guidelines but rather than a set of rules?  this has potential.  it really is too bad I shouldn't have anything to do with it as I DO categorically reject Christ.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:54 am »
Ignore

As a post-Christian, I have heard Christians declare to me that suicide is an unforgivable sin. None could ever point at why this was. Perhaps it is the ultimate act of selfishness, ending your own existence. It's playing God with your very being. If you could see me I would be shrugging right now.

As I heard it, they decided that committing suicide was an unforgiveable sin because many Catholics were committing suicide in the early days of the Church. I don't remember the details though.

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 11:50:29 am »
Ignore

post-Christian

hah, I like that.  it sounds like a music or art genre.  but I think you chose that phrasing over "ex-Christian" for a reason.  is post-Christianity the natural evolution of a disillusioned and intellectual yet spiritual individual who doesn't categorically reject Christ but instead, sees him as a set of guidelines but rather than a set of rules?  this has potential.  it really is too bad I shouldn't have anything to do with it as I DO categorically reject Christ.

^^^^

lol.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:12 pm »
Ignore

Absolutely not and I don't believe it is a sin either.

I think few people believe this these days.

Grazie, Capitano!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Ignore

Huh

Really?  Its the ultimate act of selfishness and trying to destroy God's will.  Its a sin but I'm not sure if it ends in eternal seperation from God.

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:26:20 pm »
Ignore

Shockingly, I agree with DWTL.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:02 am »
Ignore

Option 2.

I think DWDL says it here.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:15:38 am »
Ignore

Huh

Really?  Its the ultimate act of selfishness and trying to destroy God's will.  Its a sin but I'm not sure if it ends in eternal seperation from God.

I really don't think suicide is the "ultimate" act of selfishness.

Those that committ suicide are not stable. I don't believe (and neither does the Church, by the way) that God punishes those that aren't able to think rationally.

Grazie, Capitano!
a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 12:26:23 am »
Ignore

Huh

Those that committ suicide are not stable. I don't believe (and neither does the Church, by the way) that God punishes those that aren't able to think rationally.

So what about the 9/11 hijackers?

Famous True Leftists:

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:51:48 am »
Ignore

God is everything and everywhere. Nothing and noone can be separated from God.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:06:34 am by memphis »Logged

I was naturally suited to be a lawyer, almost from birth. It was as if, almost, God had willed it. He meant for me to be here, to punish you, and then punish you some more.
I refuse to die a martyrs death here, because you know why?  Martyrs are still dead.
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:15 am »
Ignore

spooky!
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 07:51:11 am »
Ignore

spooky!

Spooky? Not really, but God is rather disgusting. He's watching you when you're taking a dump, he's watching you when you masturbate, and he's seen your mom naked too. I really wish someone would do something about that disgusting pervert.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 12:50:11 pm »
Ignore

Huh

So what about the 9/11 hijackers?

What about them? Are you really asking if I think that their suicide was justified? It doesn't compare, dope. Their suicide isn't simply excused since they were responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people. It's not simply a suicide.

Then again, I'm not in God's position to say whether or not they're truly sorry for their sin. I do have a feeling that with their warped, murderous thinking that they aren't in heaven...

Grazie, Capitano!
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 01:19:44 pm »
Ignore

I don't think it should; as in ending one's life through choice whether rational or irrational. That's all I can say as someone who intends to prepare a 'living will.'

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 02:25:37 pm »
Ignore

spooky!

Spooky? Not really, but God is rather disgusting. He's watching you when you're taking a dump, he's watching you when you masturbate, and he's seen your mom naked too. I really wish someone would do something about that disgusting pervert.

not only has he watched my naked mom, he is my naked mom.  weird!
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:24:47 pm »
Ignore

No.

It is a sin.  A particularly selfish one in SOME cases.  In a few cases, it is not a sin at all, but a very noble act. 

Most of the time, it's just wrong.  And selfish.

But the question always worries me.  I wonder what's behind it. 

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »
Ignore

I'm pretty surprised at how many people here think that it's a selfish act. Is it selfish is some regards? Yes. I'm not sure that it is in most cases though. Now when we're talking about Budd Dwyer type situations...well...don't even get me started on that disgrace...

Grazie, Capitano!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout