Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: see above
Yes, absolutely

Yes, in some form

No, God forgives no matter what

No, suicide is viewed the same as death by God

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Does suicide end in eternal separation from God?  (Read 7564 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »

Christians, Muslims and Jews here, what is your take on this issue?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »

no. Sometimes people believe in fate/ destiny. And you can't control it. But sometimes times in after life you can repent. That is if you believe in it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »

I'm not going to vote because I am not a member of said religions.

but what is 'eternal separation from God?'  what makes it so bad?  Hell would suck if it's all fiery and whatnot, but from what I understand that is a medieval creation and the initial definition was, in fact, 'separation from God.'
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »

I don’t know. I hope not, personally. Most people who kill themselves are in such dire straits already, I’d hope God would grant some leniency to them. And what about the people who are old, or dying of some terrible disease who take their life because they can no longer take the physical pain? What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care? I personally  just think there have to exceptions to the whole rule, depending on the whole situation. I guess the question really is, is there such a thing as a “justifiable suicide?” And is it a sin in God’s eyes to begin with? But hey, I guess no one truly knows.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »

I don’t know. I hope not, personally. Most people who kill themselves are in such dire straits already, I’d hope God would grant some leniency to them. And what about the people who are old, or dying of some terrible disease who take their life because they can no longer take the physical pain? What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care? I personally  just think there have to exceptions to the whole rule, depending on the whole situation. I guess the question really is, is there such a thing as a “justifiable suicide?” And is it a sin in God’s eyes to begin with? But hey, I guess no one truly knows.

The way you just wrote, " What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care" sounds like they would kill themselfs over the amount of money. Yet god thinks money is not what should keep a family together.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

The way you just wrote, " What if they kill themselves to spare their family from going bankrupt over their care" sounds like they would kill themselfs over the amount of money. Yet god thinks money is not what should keep a family together.

Well, it depends on they could hold on in agony for three months or so and rack up a huge bill at the hospital that goes to their family and ruins all their lives, or they can end it now and save the family finances and prevent the family from having them see the decline of their once beloved family member. Faced with these options, what would you do? I’d hope to have enough courage to kill myself, in this scenario.

And Money is not everything, but we live in an imperfect world, and I so for the sake of things, I think it’s better to do everything you can to protect your family from additional hardships, I think.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

Well, it depends on they could hold on in agony for three months or so and rack up a huge bill at the hospital that goes to their family and ruins all their lives, or they can end it now and save the family finances and prevent the family from having them see the decline of their once beloved family member. Faced with these options, what would you do? I’d hope to have enough courage to kill myself, in this scenario.

And Money is not everything, but we live in an imperfect world, and I so for the sake of things, I think it’s better to do everything you can to protect your family from additional hardships, I think.
Why are you looking at in in the "Napoleon" way?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »

As a post-Christian, I have heard Christians declare to me that suicide is an unforgivable sin. None could ever point at why this was. Perhaps it is the ultimate act of selfishness, ending your own existence. It's playing God with your very being. If you could see me I would be shrugging right now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »

hah, I like that.  it sounds like a music or art genre.  but I think you chose that phrasing over "ex-Christian" for a reason.  is post-Christianity the natural evolution of a disillusioned and intellectual yet spiritual individual who doesn't categorically reject Christ but instead, sees him as a set of guidelines but rather than a set of rules?  this has potential.  it really is too bad I shouldn't have anything to do with it as I DO categorically reject Christ.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »

As a post-Christian, I have heard Christians declare to me that suicide is an unforgivable sin. None could ever point at why this was. Perhaps it is the ultimate act of selfishness, ending your own existence. It's playing God with your very being. If you could see me I would be shrugging right now.

As I heard it, they decided that committing suicide was an unforgiveable sin because many Catholics were committing suicide in the early days of the Church. I don't remember the details though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »

hah, I like that.  it sounds like a music or art genre.  but I think you chose that phrasing over "ex-Christian" for a reason.  is post-Christianity the natural evolution of a disillusioned and intellectual yet spiritual individual who doesn't categorically reject Christ but instead, sees him as a set of guidelines but rather than a set of rules?  this has potential.  it really is too bad I shouldn't have anything to do with it as I DO categorically reject Christ.

^^^^

lol.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Absolutely not and I don't believe it is a sin either.

I think few people believe this these days.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:58 PM »

Huh

Really?  Its the ultimate act of selfishness and trying to destroy God's will.  Its a sin but I'm not sure if it ends in eternal seperation from God.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »

Shockingly, I agree with DWTL.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »

Option 2.

I think DWDL says it here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »

Huh

Really?  Its the ultimate act of selfishness and trying to destroy God's will.  Its a sin but I'm not sure if it ends in eternal seperation from God.

I really don't think suicide is the "ultimate" act of selfishness.

Those that committ suicide are not stable. I don't believe (and neither does the Church, by the way) that God punishes those that aren't able to think rationally.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »

Huh

Those that committ suicide are not stable. I don't believe (and neither does the Church, by the way) that God punishes those that aren't able to think rationally.

So what about the 9/11 hijackers?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:51:48 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2008, 01:06:34 AM by memphis »

God is everything and everywhere. Nothing and noone can be separated from God.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »

spooky!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

spooky!

Spooky? Not really, but God is rather disgusting. He's watching you when you're taking a dump, he's watching you when you masturbate, and he's seen your mom naked too. I really wish someone would do something about that disgusting pervert.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »

Huh

So what about the 9/11 hijackers?

What about them? Are you really asking if I think that their suicide was justified? It doesn't compare, dope. Their suicide isn't simply excused since they were responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people. It's not simply a suicide.

Then again, I'm not in God's position to say whether or not they're truly sorry for their sin. I do have a feeling that with their warped, murderous thinking that they aren't in heaven...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

I don't think it should; as in ending one's life through choice whether rational or irrational. That's all I can say as someone who intends to prepare a 'living will.'
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »

spooky!

Spooky? Not really, but God is rather disgusting. He's watching you when you're taking a dump, he's watching you when you masturbate, and he's seen your mom naked too. I really wish someone would do something about that disgusting pervert.

not only has he watched my naked mom, he is my naked mom.  weird!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

No.

It is a sin.  A particularly selfish one in SOME cases.  In a few cases, it is not a sin at all, but a very noble act. 

Most of the time, it's just wrong.  And selfish.

But the question always worries me.  I wonder what's behind it. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »

I'm pretty surprised at how many people here think that it's a selfish act. Is it selfish is some regards? Yes. I'm not sure that it is in most cases though. Now when we're talking about Budd Dwyer type situations...well...don't even get me started on that disgrace...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies