are you proud to be an American?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:15:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  are you proud to be an American?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: are you proud to be an American?
yes

no

I recuse myself from this poll's proceedings as I am not an American

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: are you proud to be an American?  (Read 8610 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »

And you don't need to be born in America to be an American.
Again, I don't see why I should be proud of things I'm not responsible for. I can see BRTD's point for once.

He has no point though. He takes pride in being a citizen of his city.
Except he had a responsibility in that and it was his choice to be here. Which is immigrants should be proud about America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

Again, I don't see why I should be proud of things I'm not responsible for. I can see BRTD's point for once.

Except he had a responsibility in that and it was his choice to be here. Which is immigrants should be proud about America.

And you mean to tell me that he wouldn't be proud of Minneapolis if he was born there? Get real.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »

And you mean to tell me that he wouldn't be proud of Minneapolis if he was born there? Get real.
I never said that. Besides it is one thing to be proud of a city and another to be proud of your country.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »

Obviously not.  Though I don't think I'm really to blame for it, my association with america does embarrass me a good deal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »

Besides it is one thing to be proud of a city and another to be proud of your country.

Why? And it's certainly no different when you consider BRTD's definition (geographic area).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

Besides it is one thing to be proud of a city and another to be proud of your country.

Why? And it's certainly no different when you consider BRTD's definition (geographic area).
Do I really have to explain this? Your opinion of your home city is all about the residents who live their and their culture while this may differ with your country. So really being proud of his city has nothing to do with the geographic area of it but its culture and the people inside of it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 07:02:59 PM »

I'm proud of my city because it has the things I want and it's a city, not a suburb. Nothing inherent about it simply being Minneapolis.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »

Your opinion of your home city is all about the residents who live their and their culture while this may differ with your country. So really being proud of his city has nothing to do with the geographic area of it but its culture and the people inside of it.

And you can't have those feelings about your country? You're in way over your head, dude.

I'm proud of my city because it has the things I want and it's a city, not a suburb.

And that's why people are proud of America, too.

I love how it's silly to be proud of your country but it makes perfect sense to be proud of your city just because it's a city and not a suburb.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »

There's times when Im not and times that I am. Either way I don't go around waving flags in peoples faces and saying we are the best and most powerful country in the world...bow down please.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »

I am proud of my city, my state... and my country.  

Sure, it may be silly.. but hey, it's home.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 07:51:13 PM »

The "I'm not an American" answer, I think.

But in a more general sense... I'm I proud to be British? No, I don't think so, it's a little artificial isn't it. Welsh? English? Hmm... I don't know. I certainly don't think "thank God that I'm Welsh and English", but all the same I do love my country, though I'm not entirely sure what "my country" is. In any case, it's more of a gentle emotional pull, no, tug, than a cheast-beating, flag-waving thing.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »

Your opinion of your home city is all about the residents who live their and their culture while this may differ with your country. So really being proud of his city has nothing to do with the geographic area of it but its culture and the people inside of it.
And you can't have those feelings about your country? You're in way over your head, dude.
His city has a different culture and different people than the rest of the country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

I'm proud of my city because it has the things I want and it's a city, not a suburb.

I love how it's silly to be proud of your country but it makes perfect sense to be proud of your city just because it's a city and not a suburb.

People used to have more pride in their patch than in their (country won't do as the word was often used to mean "my patch" or whatever...) nation. Nothing strange about that at all.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

no. We are not reanonable. we are the richest country but yet we can't take care of peoples health care.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »

It's kind of sad that the plurality of people on this forum aren't proud to be an American. Not surprising, though.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

Yes i am extremely proud to be an American, That's why i even took an oath to give my life to  defend America if needed.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »

It seems a silly concept to be "proud" of something that you really had no say in. I am about as "proud" to be an American as I am "proud" to have brown hair.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

His city has a different culture and different people than the rest of the country.

But his objection is not that he disagrees with American culture or people; it's that he doesn't take pride in geographic areas. A city is also a geographic area.

People used to have more pride in their patch than in their (country won't do as the word was often used to mean "my patch" or whatever...) nation. Nothing strange about that at all.

Roll Eyes

That's not what I'm saying so don't twist what I'm saying. I understand that that has been the case. You're talking to someone with an Italian background.

I'm pointing out that his logic is flawed. A lot of people here are laughing off this idea of taking pride in their country because it's just geographically based or because it isn't of their choosing. However, they argue that you can take pride in your city because of its culture. Countries don't have culture? Countries are just geographically based? Countries aren't sometimes chosen? The logic is flawed. If BRTD doesn't take pride in being an American because of what it is to be an American, fine. That wasn't his argument though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »

Yes, of course.  She makes me sick sometimes too, but the things right with America are still stronger than the things wrong.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »

I'm not American, and I'm proud to be an Australian, however I am proud of what America is, the ideals America stands for and what America has achieved. I think that Americans have a right to be proud of their country, indeed, not just a right to feel proud but can be justifiably proud.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04:02 AM »

Of course.

However, I can't stand that Lee Greenwood song, so I winced when Sarah Palin said, "and I'm proud to be an American...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 12:23:05 AM »

I'm happy to be American, sure. Not proud, though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 12:58:05 AM »

I am very proud of America. I am very fortunate to live here. The question is worded in a manner that seems to ask if I am proud of myself for having been born here, which I am not because I had no control over this condition.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 06:26:40 AM »

But his objection is not that he disagrees with American culture or people; it's that he doesn't take pride in geographic areas. A city is also a geographic area.

An argument could be made that city's are "things" in a way that nation states aren't, that they actually have an existence independent of the whims of boundary-drawers. Though BRTD likes to define cities by their official boundaries and nowt else, so maybe not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wasn't actually attack you there...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

Of course.

However, I can't stand that Lee Greenwood song, so I winced when Sarah Palin said, "and I'm proud to be an American...

The only good line in that song is

"from the lakes of Minnesota..."

then it's just boring trash Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies