Just a note about this campaign.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:57:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Just a note about this campaign.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Just a note about this campaign.  (Read 2269 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:34:30 PM »

This happens during every major campaign but it really does seem especially worse this time around. It's probably because both tickets have candidates that excite their respective bases. But whatever the case, the tone we are hearing (especially here) has just gotten out of control.

Both sides are guilty. I'm not going to lie...I do think one side has been especially unfair on this forum and even in life in general considering that I'm a young person and I'm in the minority in terms of who I support. But whatever...we've all been wrong at some point and it's getting downright depressing.

I have to learn how to deal with a lot of this. I have learned to take a lot of shots since I'm so involved but I still have a lot to learn. I hope to have a profession in politics/government so this is only the beginning of the bullsh**t. All that being said, does it really need to be this bad? I've gotten to the point where I can't even talk to some friends/people I am generally friendly with. We take this all too seriously/personally. I think that I'm pretty fair. I try to remain calm and respectful not just because I think that that is the right thing but because I'm in the minority. I really don't need anymore to deal with. But like I said, we all put on our partisan glasses on at times. When we get to the point where we can't even talk personally in a civil manner because we of partisan resentment then we have some real problems, my friends.

I'm never going to be afraid of telling people how I feel and who/what I support/oppose but it does upset me when I have to think about possible negative personal reactions to something I say. Just yesterday, for basically the first time during this campaign, I talked with a classmate of mine about the election. This was the first time I ever spoke to the kid. We were sitting next to each other in our campus tech center and we got to talking. He remembered that I was the one discussing the Presidential race with my professor and he wanted to know more about who I supported. I told him and he told me that he wanted Obama. He was very cool about it though. He was so genuinely interested in someone who had a different opinion. Contrary to popular belief, that is the way I've always been. Unfortunately, I worry that many of my other classmates don't feel the same way. It's terrible.

I know this is just a waste of time with some people here but for anyone who is a reasonable person, let's try not to make this as personal. We all think this is a serious election with serious effects but let's not take it too seriously. We'll come to regret it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »

Just enjoy being a citizen, call them as you see them, and take the shots in good humor. It works for me! Almost all folks on this forum are good folks, intelligent, and not haters.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »

I'm sorry to do this on this thread, but how can you call for seriousness yet still start an entire thread on a false "gotcha" attack on Biden saying "Bosniak?"  Doesn't that upset the tone of the forum FAR more than what most posters have done?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »

I'm sorry to do this on this thread, but how can you call for seriousness yet still start an entire thread on a false "gotcha" attack on Biden saying "Bosniak?"  Doesn't that upset the tone of the forum FAR more than what most posters have done?

Roll Eyes

Dude, first of all, I didn't call for "seriousness." Secondly, that "false 'gotcha' attack" was corrected and, as noted in the thread, I took blame for jumping the gun. I said I wouldn't have it deleted or anything because I made a mistake and people had their chance to ridicule me. Finally, I said we all are to blame.

Don't throw at me that I've upset the tone of this place far more than anyone else. It's not true at all. And, by the way, thanks for totally hijacking the thread in a completely counterproductive manner.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2008, 12:19:52 AM by Lunar »

Your thread is right.  Both sides ARE guilty and we need to slide things back.  I know you admitted to making a mistake in your original thread, but that has nothing to do with what I was trying to say.  I find it hypocritical that you can, within minutes of making a highly partisan, petty attack on Biden potentially mispronouncing something (which Biden didn't and Palin did, but there are no threads about that), start another thread calling us all together. 

Phil asked me to delete my post in some heated PM's that I don't understand.  Apparently *I* am a hyperpastian who nevers call out my own side for being partisan or ridiculous.  I'm sure Xahar, Jfern, Chris, BRTD, and Lief would recall me recently calling them out, which I'm pretty sure actually outnumber my attacks on the GOP, but whatevsky, you can tell people, *cough* cough,* believe what they want to.

I say, take some meaningful steps yourself and then others will follow.  Don't attack Lunar.  Otherwise you just look schilly!

But I endorse the original post of this thread whole heartedly

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »

you can tell people, *cough* cough,* believe what they want to.

And it just goes to show that you are totally set on making this personal. That's exactly what I argued against. I asked for your post to be deleted because it's hijacking my thread. If you want to make it an issue, do so elsewhere. I specifically stated that I don't want this to be personal anymore.

Also, you left out that I asked you to name some people (aside from complete nuts that are usually ignored by everyone. Example: ghostmonkey) that I should call out. You didn't respond.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See what I mean? You don't endorse anything that I'm saying when you wish to make this personal. That goes against the fundamental point of my post.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »

I did, actually on the former.  And I deleted the messenger part of my post but too late.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »

Yeah and they actually decided to have the election tonight, too. Obama won with 57% of the popular vote and even carried...North Dakota!

WTF.

Have fun with your upcoming 30,000th post, BTW.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »

Why do you guys care so much? It's an internet forum. Why bother engaging in boring personal attacks over some silly prediction or political view? If you're wrong about PA, you're wrong. If you're right, you win gloating rights. It's not like you receive a financial reward or sex or something if you're right. And it's not like you get waterboarded if you're wrong. Just chill and have some fun.

But maybe it's easier to care about things when your baseball team isn't playing like a bunch of little leaguers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:37 AM »

Why do you guys care so much? It's an internet forum. Why bother engaging in boring personal attacks over some silly prediction or political view? If you're wrong about PA, you're wrong. If you're right, you win gloating rights. It's not like you receive a financial reward or sex or something if you're right. And it's not like you get waterboarded if you're wrong. Just chill and have some fun.

But maybe it's easier to care about things when your baseball team isn't playing like a bunch of little leaguers.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »

I agree with you Phil, but I honestly don't think anyone should be taking the higher ground here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »

Yeah and they actually decided to have the election tonight, too. Obama won with 57% of the popular vote and even carried...North Dakota!

WTF.

Roll Eyes

Are we really going to do this? Seriously?

And that comment was obviously a joke.

That's...exactly my point.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

I'm more concerned about this attitude existing in REAL LIFE, outside of here. The hostility people have in defending Obama really concerns me. I've almost seen people I know getting into fists with McCain supporters.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »

There is a lack of civility.

I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but when Canada votes or Britain votes you don't get this - there are not that many of us (and in my case, I'm the only Tory unless Ben posts) but theres a bit of humour in our 'attacks' on the other side and much of the election discussion is based on the nature of the voting process/polls etc.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »

I'm more concerned about this attitude existing in REAL LIFE, outside of here. The hostility people have in defending Obama really concerns me. I've almost seen people I know getting into fists with McCain supporters.

I agree 100%, though I'd like to note it's nowhere near exclusive to Obama. I've seen McCain supporters act just as harshly. There's no "better side" here.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

Phil handled the Bosniak thing with good humor and fun.  And as I said at the outset, when Biden said it, I thought something was wrong too.  I had never heard the term...and I covered the Balkans pretty heavily in the 90's.

So Phil's reaction is easily understood.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

Well said, Phil.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 01:46:25 AM »

Back around the '04 election, things were pretty intense too. It just goes with the territory. Back then the attitude was much more anti-Bush among a lot of posters. I was a lurker and rarely posted at that point. I've become less shy.

The reason I keep coming back to this forum is because, despite the partisanship and some of the negatives, there are a lot of people on here who think critically and have a good sense of politics and prediction. For that matter many here also do show goodwill despite arguments. I've been a participant on many forums and I have to say the Atlas suffers from far less bullsh*t than the average political forum.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »

Practice what you preach, or don't preach at all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

Practice what you preach, or don't preach at all.

And how did I go against what I preach? By calling you out for your arguing technique? I'm oh so sorry, Al. I should just continue to let you imply that I'm stupid because I don't understand your circular arguments.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »

And how did I go against what I preach?

Phil, 3rd October: this thread
Phil, 5th October: "Is Barack Obama becoming the new Che Guevara?"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »

And how did I go against what I preach?

Phil, 3rd October: this thread
Phil, 5th October: "Is Barack Obama becoming the new Che Guevara?"

If you actually bothered to read all of my opening comment, I made quite clear that that wasn't to say that Obama himself was like Che or that all of his supporters were revolutionary Communists. It was about the fanatical segment that blindly supports him and makes him out to be a revolutionary savior.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 01:03:21 AM »

Things seem more civil than back in 2004.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »

There's a lot to be said here; it's on my mind, too. I've got some responses when I have time.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »

I agree 100%, though I'd like to note it's nowhere near exclusive to Obama. I've seen McCain supporters act just as harshly. There's no "better side" here.
Yep I get to the point of yelling with lots of people and I am a ing freshman in High School.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies