Republicans - If we lose...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Republicans - If we lose...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Republicans - If we lose...  (Read 8093 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »

If we lose (which is looking likely now but it's not quite certain yet), who is your first choice to be our nominee in 2012? Feel free to give a few possible runners up.

I kindly ask that this thread not be overrun with "LOL YEAH! NOMINATE HIM/HER! 4 MO' YEARS OF OBAMA!!!" Please. Thank you.

My choice: Richard John Santorum

Possible runners up: Sarah Palin, Tim Pawlenty, Mark Sanford
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:54:18 PM »

I have zero idea. I don't like any of  your names however. Pence, but he's a dirt bag house guy, and that dog won't hunt.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »

Not a Republican, but a Romney-Palin primary would be very interesting. Go Sarah!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »

Hopefully you guys nominate a frightening young theocon (Palin, Jindal, etc.) so that Obama can get his very own 1984/1972/1964.

A Romney-Palin-Gingrich primary would be super fun though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »

Rudy Giuliani

Also: Mark Sanford (he won't run though), Mike Bloomberg, Tim Pawlenty, Jeb Bush (if his name isn't ruined still)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:58:54 PM »

"After you, the deluge."

I will say that to any candidate who wins.  

In all seriousness, if Obama wins, I expect a major recession, probably 2-3 years after this one.  A Republican Congress by 2012 and a roll back of civil rights legislation.  You will see affirmative action ended by 2014, if not before (and this if from someone who thinks it's appropriate in some cases).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »

Santorum would be good. I'd like Huck to have another go at it. Jindal would be good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:33 AM »

Hopefully you guys nominate a frightening young theocon (Palin, Jindal, etc.) so that Obama can get his very own 1984/1972/1964.

I kindly asked you not to do that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 12:07:43 AM »

If Republicans are as smart electorally as they have been, the ticket will be _____/Petraeus.  I know Iraq probably won't be the same issue as it used to be, but Petraeus is the only figure even tangentially connected to this Administration (in other words, high-profile figure) who has shone in the spotlight, and under very difficult circumstances.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »

I kindly asked you not to do that.

What did you expect from Lief? If Obama's lead gets any larger, he'll begin arguing about how Obama will carry Kansas again (okay, that was a bit obsessive like BRTD). But it had to be said Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

I think you might actually see someone like a Huckabee get elected, but I'd expect Palin is more likely.  It could be Palin/Santorum or Palin/Toomey.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »

Lunar's prediction: Sarah Palin will be your '12 nominee if Obama wins.  Think about how Huck won your primaries in Iowa, and now think about Sarah doing that everywhere.  She'd be guaranteed to be the richest candidate, the one with the broadest and most enthusiastic support, and she clearly wants the job.

She'll have four more years to prep herself and she won't make 1% as many gaffes by then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

It could be Palin/Santorum or Palin/Toomey.

Toomey isn't likely at all. Let's assume he wins Specter's Senate seat or even Governor. He'd only be in that office for a little over a year by the time he's chosen. That's not going to fly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 12:14:24 AM »

Lunar's prediction: Sarah Palin will be your '12 nominee if Obama wins.  Think about how Huck won your primaries in Iowa, and now think about Sarah doing that everywhere.  She'd be guaranteed to be the richest candidate, the one with the broadest and most enthusiastic support, and she clearly wants the job.

She'll have four more years to prep herself and she won't make 1% as many gaffes by then.

I think suicide might be an option, per your lens. I am trying to reduce the importance of politics in my life. It is not good for my health.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »

Toomey isn't likely at all. Let's assume he wins Specter's Senate seat or even Governor. He'd only be in that office for a little over a year by the time he's chosen. That's not going to fly.

True, your party would never put anyone on a ticket who had been a Governor for only 2 years.

Though in all seriousness, you are probably right that you wouldn't again after a loss this year.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »

Is Specter retiring?

Anyway, I love Huckabee but we disagree on both economic and social policy. If it weren't for that, I'd support him 100%.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2008, 09:50:15 PM by memphis »

The conservative era 1980-2006 is over. If you want to be competitive you've got to find a moderate. Find your version of Bill Clinton.
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 12:55:57 AM »

If we lose (which is looking likely now but it's not quite certain yet), who is your first choice to be our nominee in 2012? Feel free to give a few possible runners up.

I kindly ask that this thread not be overrun with "LOL YEAH! NOMINATE HIM/HER! 4 MO' YEARS OF OBAMA!!!" Please. Thank you.

My choice: Richard John Santorum

Possible runners up: Sarah Palin, Tim Pawlenty, Mark Sanford

Rick Santorum is my choice, too.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »

True, your party would never put anyone on a ticket who had been a Governor for only 2 years.

Though in all seriousness, you are probably right that you wouldn't again after a loss this year.

Toomey was also a former three term Congressman, so you'd be talking some Federal experience.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 01:06:29 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2008, 11:02:12 AM by Keystone Phil »

Roll Eyes

I said that it wouldn't fly especially if this ticket fails.

Is Specter retiring?

No

Toomey was also a former three term Congressman, so you'd be talking some Federal experience.

Yes, we know but that's only three terms. He left the House in 2005. That's quite a gap.

The conservative era 1980-2006 is over. If you want to be competitive you've got to find a moderate. Find your version of Bill Clinton.

Can you people please grow up? Seriously.

Just like how you guys couldn't win with a real liberal?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 01:21:46 AM »

Pawlenty? Schwartzenegger, if you can get the constitution amended?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:11 AM »

I really like Santorum, but he would be crucified.

I'd say Huckabee or Romney would be my top choices.  I'll likely support any Republican running (barring Ron Paul or Pat Buchanan).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 01:24:04 AM »

Don't be so sure. The Dems thought that they could destroy Reagan even with their unpopular incumbent President. A lot can change (and often does) in four years. That being said, Obama could end up becoming more popular in four years. Who knows?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »

Somebody not unlike Jim Ramstad...

But that's just because he's a pretty moderate Republican and would connect with people really well.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »

Don't be so sure. The Dems thought that they could destroy Reagan even with their unpopular incumbent President.

I see you've learned a lot the last two years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies