Republicans - If we lose...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Republicans - If we lose...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Republicans - If we lose...  (Read 8048 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2008, 02:13:23 AM »

Mitt Romney will obviously run. And we were very nicely set up for a Battle Royal between him and Huckabee to see which wing of the Republican party could seize control... but then Palin had to screw everything up.

I could see a scenario where Huck and Palin cause the social conservatives to fracture and allow Romney to get by... I'm not quite sure who the CARLHAYDEN types would support though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2008, 05:15:47 AM »

I'm not convinced by the Palin idea. Failed running mates more commonly fade into obscurity then they get prominence. I consider it more likely that she will be the John Edwards of the 2012 primaries.

I'm afraid though that the GOP conservatives will take over as a reaction to the McCain loss.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2008, 05:48:24 AM »

Of all the possible candidates right now, I like Gingrich best.  He's a thoughtful person, a believer in limited government, and he was able to persuade the voters in 1994.

He still seems like a has-been, though, and he was thoroughly slandered by the Clinton machine.  I don't know if he is electable.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »

What about Gov. Jon Huntsman of Utah? In 2012 he'll have served two full terms as governor. He's also been ambassador to Singapore, the deputy U.S. trade representative, held administrative posts in the Reagan, GHW Bush and George W. Bush administrations, and has been a CEO. 

He's young (48 right now), good-looking, with a large and telegenic family. He's also extremely popular, conservative but not a right-wing nut (i.e. he supports stem cell research and same-sex domestic partnerships but is pro-life and anti-gay marriage) and is fluent in Mandarin Chinese (from his mission).

Or will Romney's likely 2012 run make it impossible for another Mormon to run? Maybe 2016 would be a better opportunity for him.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »

I love Richard Burr as a senator, and would be glad to vote for him against Obama, but I just don't know if he will be able to win reelection.

I have a bad feeling of "Reagan-Mondale" if Palin is the nominee in '12.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »

Dude, it's four years away. In 1972, did anyone think that the Dems would have a chance at winning the White House especially with some unknown former Governor and peanut farmer?

Things change. That's a reminder to both parties.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »

If Obama wins this year, I think 2012 will be a repeat of 1980. (I read someone - not on this forum - called this a repeat of 1976 with two bad candidates.) Obama will bring hope and change just like Carter did, it just won't get here for another 4 years.

If I had to pick someone right now, I would say Jindal. Make sure you go with a conservative, not a moderate or a liberal. But a lot can happen in 4 years (situation with Iraq & the economy to name a couple).

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2008, 12:58:09 PM by Bacon King »

Ya can't assume 2012 is gonna be a repeat of 1980 any more than you can assume it will be a repeat of 1984. Really, chances are we won't even begin to know how the fabric of the next election will turn out for at least a couple years.

btw, pragmatic liberal, the suggestion of Huntsman does sound really good. He'd be a great candidate. Jindal could be a good candidate too, under certain situations.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

I love Richard Burr as a senator, and would be glad to vote for him against Obama, but I just don't know if he will be able to win reelection.

She will be.  Think about a Huck who is incredibly well-connected, well-financed, and even more loved.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies