When people say that they're "praying for you..."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:44:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  When people say that they're "praying for you..."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...how do you feel?
Grateful

Insulted

Amused

Confused

Feelings are gay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: When people say that they're "praying for you..."  (Read 6238 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »

I used to feel grateful and a little touched.. now I almost feel insulted. It strikes me as a completely worthless notion. Like they couldn't be bothered trying to actively console you or be helpful at all, they'll just be praying for you. I suppose maybe I'm bitter.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »

Grateful I suppose, just because they express concern. I don't expect it to work of course, but oh well.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:54:36 AM »

I used to feel grateful and a little touched.. now I almost feel insulted. It strikes me as a completely worthless notion. Like they couldn't be bothered trying to actively console you or be helpful at all, they'll just be praying for you. I suppose maybe I'm bitter.

Sometimes that's really all I can do for someone. If you had a problem that you mentioned to us on here, I'd pray for you and I'd let you know I was doing so, but I doubt you'd want to call me up or email me to talk it out. There'd be a limit on what I could do for you in a practical sense, and sometimes praying for you is all I can actually do.

That said, last night I had a mate who was having a rough time (interstate), and I sent him a message saying that if he wanted to call, he should do so and that it didn't matter what time and he shouldn't think twice about waking me if he needs to talk. Then I slept with the phone by my bed. It's not that I can't be bothered consoling someone if they need it and if it's something I can actually do, it's just that sometimes praying for someone is all I can do for them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »

I'm greatful, but I keep on thinking, God has better things to do.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »

it's a cross between opt 1 and opt 2

lean 2
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »

Depends on how it is said and what is really meant.  Permit me to offer a couple of scenarios...

Me:  We still miss Dad so much.  Even though we're glad he's not suffering anymore, it still hurts to see his chair empty.

Other:  I'm so sorry.  That IS hard.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

++++++

Me:   Thanks for inviting me to you church.  I really appreciate it.  But we're quite happy at our own.  But seriously -- we appreciate your invite.

Other:  Well.  We'll be praying for you, then....

Now, I realize the second scenario COULD mean --  "Oh, I am so glad you are happy.  We'll pray that continues!"  But a lot of times, it means --  "Oh.  But...but...you go to one of those churches.  Eewww.  We'll be praying you see the light and join the right kind."

You can be a person of faith or a secularist/agnostic and experience that.  Either way, it's rude and it's an insult. The subtle implication is, "I'm better than you.  But it doesn't have to be that way!! You can be as good as me, too."

That kind of thing stinks.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »

I agree with J when he says it's contextual. When somone hears that I'm sitting an exam, they will say 'I'll say a wee prayer for you' (as my nana always did) and I find that very touching. If they hear that I'm gay and say 'I'll pray for you' then that really sucks, because they are 'elevating' themselves above me. And it's not meant with good intent Sad
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »

It's always option 1, unless it's after I tell people I'm Jewish Wink
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »

somebody just told me they prayed for me at church today.  I really want to kill her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »

somebody just told me they prayed for me at church today.  I really want to kill her.

That really is just so rude, dude. Seriously. I remember a few people being offended/wanted to laugh at me when I mention that I pray for them. If I pray for you, I really care about you; it's not meant to seem like, "Well, you need a lot of help that the rest of us don't need, pal."
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »

That really is just so rude, dude. Seriously. I remember a few people being offended/wanted to laugh at me when I mention that I pray for them. If I pray for you, I really care about you; it's not meant to seem like, "Well, you need a lot of help that the rest of us don't need, pal."

the text conversation

her: I think we're going to be good friends for a long long time.
me: Church today?
her: yeah. i prayed for you..
me: sh**t what did you say
her: nothing bad.. sorry
me: I'm not mad.  but you should try to reconcile with me first (maybe you already have) before you take it to God.  He gave up on me a long, long time ago and I can't say I blame him.
her: i dont think He gave up. i just think you did
me: It was a mutual decision.  we are both better off.  eternal separation from God (the original definition of Hell) just doesn't bother me.  I think I basically know what you prayed for, and, look... if I find inner contentness, meaning, and happiness, it's going to come from myself, not from God.  and certainly not from anything I read in His f***ing book of things not to do.
her: i didn't tell him to give you anything, just to help you
me: I'd prefer it if you helped me.  you have done much more for me already that He has, and you're MUCH better looking.
her: ha  well how do you know God isnt female?
me: Your bible says so.  I don't believe God exists but I am speaking of Him as a concept for the purposes of this conversation.
her: youre annoying
me: But am I still interesting?
her: yeah you are Tongue ugh

we're basically in love with each other but circumstances prevent us from being together
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »

That text conversation was supposed to convince me that you were right?  Tongue
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

As was said, context is important. And so is your relationship with the person before you say it. There are some people I have known almost my entire life that seem utterly disaffected when a friend needs consolation, instead telling them that they will be prayed for as a means to make the problem go away. And, after being told that the problem got worse, shrug it off that it was God's will. I am sure these people mean well and are often genuine and do care, but when a friend is in need, is it more morally correct to listen, console, and offer tangible aid, or to stand back and pray and say that whatever happens was simply a part of God's plan? You're (and I'm not specifically addressing you, Phil, so don't take it personally at all) probably thinking "both," which seems quite correct to me, but way too often people are obliged to avoid inconveniencing themselves to help a friend.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:44:45 AM »

but when a friend is in need, is it more morally correct to listen, console, and offer tangible aid, or to stand back and pray and say that whatever happens was simply a part of God's plan?

When did I say that simply praying for that friend was enough?

I just have a feeling that all of that can be done and some hostile anti-religious individual would still bitch about being "prayed for."

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »

but when a friend is in need, is it more morally correct to listen, console, and offer tangible aid, or to stand back and pray and say that whatever happens was simply a part of God's plan?

When did I say that simply praying for that friend was enough?

You didn't.. and I tried to point out that I wasn't talking to/about you specifically. I used what you said to transition into something else.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Probably. They are, after all, hostile and anti-religious. You could of course not offer that tidbit of information to such a person.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »

I agree with Phil.  Knowing that people who care about me are praying for me means so much.  Especially when I know they are coming from a condescending, arrogant state of mine.

Andrew -- I know what you mean.  My family has been "praying for me" since I became an Episcopalian.  A couple of them actually believe I am under the influence of demonic spirits.  Otherwise, I would be Baptist or Pentecostal or something along those lines.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »

the text conversation

me: I'm not mad.  but you should try to reconcile with me first (maybe you already have) before you take it to God.  He gave up on me a long, long time ago and I can't say I blame him.
me: It was a mutual decision.  we are both better off.  eternal separation from God (the original definition of Hell) just doesn't bother me.  I think I basically know what you prayed for, and, look... if I find inner contentness, meaning, and happiness, it's going to come from myself, not from God.  and certainly not from anything I read in His f***ing book of things not to do.
me: I'd prefer it if you helped me.  you have done much more for me already that He has, and you're MUCH better looking.
me: Your bible says so.  I don't believe God exists but I am speaking of Him as a concept for the purposes of this conversation.

we're basically in love with each other but circumstances prevent us from being together
If you were trying to convince us you're an asshole, operation successful!
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

I think JSojourner hit it right on the head.   It's all about context.

In a positive context it's no worse than being told that someone cares, or hopes things turn out alright, or sends 'good vibes'.  Hey - may the force be with you.  Can't hurt, so no problem.

In a negative, it's about the same as an explicative.  (I suppose people who use it that way could be considered to be using the Lord's name in vain).   I get that some from a local cultlike group which solicits funds right by the exit of various grocery store.  The phrase "no thanks" often gets responded to with a really sarcastic "God bless you".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »

Always assumed that it was a Catholic thing
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »

Always assumed that it was a Catholic thing

Come on now. There are some good people of other religions/no religion at all.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

I think JSojourner hit it right on the head.   It's all about context.

In a positive context it's no worse than being told that someone cares, or hopes things turn out alright, or sends 'good vibes'.  Hey - may the force be with you.  Can't hurt, so no problem.

In a negative, it's about the same as an explicative.  (I suppose people who use it that way could be considered to be using the Lord's name in vain).   I get that some from a local cultlike group which solicits funds right by the exit of various grocery store.  The phrase "no thanks" often gets responded to with a really sarcastic "God bless you".

I think the question is - is it edifying to the person for you to tell them? A sincere prayer may be a way of caring for someone, but sometimes it's more caring to pray quietly for them without telling them that's what you're doing. Of course, there are times when someone's going through a rough patch, that it might help them to know that you're thinking of them and praying for them. It's a matter of context, not just the reason you prayed for them, but also how they will feel about that.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »

Another thing to throw into the mix.

We pray for people expecting God to change them.  Often, God changes us instead.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »

Amused
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 11:19:37 PM »

Grateful. Even though I don't believe in God, it's a nice gesture.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 12:11:59 PM »

the text conversation

If you were trying to convince us you're an asshole, operation successful!

I was gonna post something like that. If someone cares for you and says so the very least you can do as a decent human being is refraining from wanting to kill that person.

But, anyway, touched. Of course, I'm not gay or anything so I've never experienced the whole "I'm praying for you, since I'm pretty sure you're going to hell on your current course" business. I imagine that would be a bit insulting.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies