Tompkins county(NY) explanation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:47:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Tompkins county(NY) explanation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tompkins county(NY) explanation  (Read 1763 times)
st

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2004, 07:41:31 PM »

Hello again
I apologize if this has been asked before.
I would like to ask if anyone can explain about Tompkins county in upstate New York in the 'finger lakes' region(southeast of Rochester)

The results from there seem out of place, and I'm sure there is some sort of reason. Republicans seem to do horribly here. In the last election they got about 33%. Nader got like 12%. This all seems somewhat disproportionate. Though some counties nearby went Democratic, they weren't in that proportion.

On the map I can't see anything special about it, it's partially rural/small towns and contains Ithaca.
I'm not from the area so I have no idea what its like.

To make this even weirder, it seemed to be a (narrowly) Republican area until sometime in the mid-80's when it suddenly  switched so drastically
Anyone have any insight?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 07:46:18 PM »

That's where Ithaca is, which contains ultra-liberal Cornell University. Why it was Republican previously though, I don't know.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 01:08:34 AM »

I think it was the only county in New York where Bush's 2004 percentage was below his 2000 percentage. That was true in most of the bay area, though.

Anyways, Utne reader once choose Ithaca as the most enlightened city in America.  It's very liberal on social issues.  Because of Cornell, the population has changed a lot more than a city of 30,000 in the middle of nowhere would change. The town and its suburbs are very socially liberal, poorer than the national average, and extremely extremely educated. We're talking around 60% with a BS.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »

That's where Ithaca is, which contains ultra-liberal Cornell University. Why it was Republican previously though, I don't know.

I believe it contains two universities: Ithaca, and Cornell. I got accepted to Ithaca. Don't know if I will go. For some reason universities have a liberalizing effect on the students and on the area in general. Either it is because the professors are liberal, intelligence/education brings about liberalism, or a combination of the two.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:32:17 PM »

I believe it contains two universities: Ithaca, and Cornell. I got accepted to Ithaca. Don't know if I will go. For some reason universities have a liberalizing effect on the students and on the area in general. Either it is because the professors are liberal, intelligence/education brings about liberalism, or a combination of the two.

The students are the most conservative people in town. According to one study, Cornell has the most liberal faculty members of any university, even beating out Berkeley.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies