GOP Congressional Wipeout Is the Buzz, and the End Is Near [Liddy Dole is Toast]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:44:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP Congressional Wipeout Is the Buzz, and the End Is Near [Liddy Dole is Toast]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Congressional Wipeout Is the Buzz, and the End Is Near [Liddy Dole is Toast]  (Read 2072 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »

So says Politico. The Dems think they might get 60 seats in the Senate, and the GOP agrees. Minus 20 in the House. It is all going to hell, and the Left will realize all its dreams, and civilization as we know it will end! Just damn!

And there you have it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »

I'm a little confused by the complete writing-off of Dole, but I suppose if she really has no campaign infrastructure up whatsoever and was relying on advertising (which wouldn't surprise me at all), she probably is doomed. That's information I just don't have.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »

It is odd how this McCain advisor is pronouncing Liddy Dole dead at this point. There is still 30 days left in the campaign.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »

Oh, ha ha.    Jim VandeHei.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:51:23 AM »

How would the Democrats get to 60? Counting Sanders and Lieberman as Democrats, if they got lucky and did very well by taking Oregon and North Carolina, they're still only at 58. I suppose Kentucky is possibly shaping up to be #59. But 60?

I guess I just don't see Franken winning.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »

I'd be depressed in Kay freaking Hagan unseats Liddy Dole, but not as much as if Franken unseats Coleman.

I really don't know what's going on with Dole.  Is she running that terrible of a campaign?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:04:07 AM »

How would the Democrats get to 60? Counting Sanders and Lieberman as Democrats, if they got lucky and did very well by taking Oregon and North Carolina, they're still only at 58. I suppose Kentucky is possibly shaping up to be #59. But 60?

I agree on Franken.  Allen is toast.  GA seems like a real, real long-shot.

Wicker?  I don't see that either, but the probability is higher than the three above.

Moreover, I'm growing less and less confident of the government's ability to do away with Stevens.  It's not just the evidence screw-ups, I just don't think their case is that strong.  And Sununu has made a pretty good comeback (as I have said many times Shaheen is not a great candidate).

As mentioned on another thread, my DSCC fundraising e-mail today said that Dems held leads in 6 GOP seats.  Considering they ain't leading right now in MN, MS and KY, that e-mail translates into them not thinking they don't lead in one of either AK, NC, NH or OR (since they surely lead in VA, NM and CO).  I'm just trying to figure out which one.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 01:07:52 AM »

I'd be depressed in Kay freaking Hagan unseats Liddy Dole, but not as much as if Franken unseats Coleman.

I really don't know what's going on with Dole.  Is she running that terrible of a campaign?

Yes.  NC also appears to be in anti-incumbent mode (in NC-08, Hayes is really hurting, for example).  That may yet shift, but who knows.

As for Franken, he may be one of the worst challengers for a gimme seat that I've seen in a long while (1994 - Ollie North, maybe).  I'm almost sure he's down 4-5 points right now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:11:23 AM »

It's the end of the Republican party's power in Congress, & it's all our fault. Sad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 02:15:57 AM »

Counting Lieberman and Sanders, the Dems currently have 51 seats.  The 7 most vulnerable GOP seats are VA, NM, CO, AK, NH, NC, and OR.  That gets you 58 seats, if the Dems win all of them.  From there, I would guess MN would be the most likely to be #59, and MS to be #60.  Though I suppose KY could substitute for one of those.  Obvisously, that's quite a longshot, that the Dems would win all of those races, but I assume that's the scenario they're talking about.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 02:55:35 AM »

It certainly doesn't seem very likely at all. Franken isn't even leading in his own internals right now. I have trouble seeing Wicker losing.

Alaska, Oregon, New Hampshire, and North Carolina are far from a sure thing. In fact, I'm worrying that Palin coattails may end up saving Stevens.

Not sure about Kentucky.

I'm thinking the Democratic maximum is likely going to end up being 58---though if they're extremely lucky I suppose anything up to 61 is possible...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »

Dean Barkley. They're counting Dean Barkley as a Democrat. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »

The Dems will end up getting VA, NM, CO and NH.

Close to somewhat close wins for the GOP will be OR, AK, NC and MN.

Wins by about ten points for the GOP will be KY and MS.

That leaves the Dems with 55 (assuming they don't kick Lieberman out of caucus).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »

MS+10, GOP picking up AK, OR, NC, and MN?  Is this some kind of late-GOP surge?

Because Liddy Dole is an awful campaigner, she's behind and trending worse, and the Democrats are going to have a strong organizational advantage this time around (Obama's been building hard in NC ever since mid-way through the primaries and constantly visits the state).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »

Yes.  NC also appears to be in anti-incumbent mode (in NC-08, Hayes is really hurting, for example).  That may yet shift, but who knows.
The main cause of Hayes' woes has been the DCCC's aggressive spending in the NC-08. Over $600k spent in September and early October alone, and they've allotted over $1 million more for negative TV ads. By the end of this campaign, Hayes will have been sunk by the DCCC. if the national Democrats had been matched dollar-for-dollar by the NRCC or outspent by the NRCC, Hayes would likely be a favorite today. This is one district where the D-trip's CoH advantage may be the pivotal factor.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »

The main cause of Hayes' woes has been the DCCC's aggressive spending in the NC-08. Over $600k spent in September and early October alone, and they've allotted over $1 million more for negative TV ads. By the end of this campaign, Hayes will have been sunk by the DCCC. if the national Democrats had been matched dollar-for-dollar by the NRCC or outspent by the NRCC, Hayes would likely be a favorite today. This is one district where the D-trip's CoH advantage may be the pivotal factor.

You have a point, but I really sense anti-incumbency as a major factor in NC right now (or at least that's what my gut tells me).  After all, in this environment, why is McCrory clearly ahead of Perdue?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

You have a point, but I really sense anti-incumbency as a major factor in NC right now (or at least that's what my gut tells me).  After all, in this environment, why is McCrory clearly ahead of Perdue?
That's an interesting point about the governor's race. Perdue is essentially the proxy incumbent, so it logically follows that she would suffer in an anti-incumbent year. It would be ironic if Obama, McCrory and Hagan all won in NC. A year ago, each one of those candidates was the decided underdog.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

That's an interesting point about the governor's race. Perdue is essentially the proxy incumbent, so it logically follows that she would suffer in an anti-incumbent year. It would be ironic if Obama, McCrory and Hagan all won in NC. A year ago, each one of those candidates was the decided underdog.

btw, I'm going to try to do my House update this afternoon (finally).  Senate is done.  You and I disagree on a couple of races, but not big differences in my view.  I'll bump when complete.

How's Rice going?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »

btw, I'm going to try to do my House update this afternoon (finally).  Senate is done.  You and I disagree on a couple of races, but not big differences in my view.  I'll bump when complete.

How's Rice going?
My classes are going well and I'm enjoying college life. The one downside is that I don't have as much time to carefully track the down-ballot races.  This forum really is an invaluable resource for a time-strapped college student.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 01:58:56 AM »

Me either but a Franken win is still probably more likely than a Lunsford win.

Anyway, I don't see the Dems hitting 60.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »

MS+10, GOP picking up AK, OR, NC, and MN?  Is this some kind of late-GOP surge?

Because Liddy Dole is an awful campaigner, she's behind and trending worse, and the Democrats are going to have a strong organizational advantage this time around (Obama's been building hard in NC ever since mid-way through the primaries and constantly visits the state).

The only way this would happen is if McCain was able to pull back into a tie at the final days of the election.  As we stand right now, Democrats are likely to take AK, CO, MN, NC, NH, NM, OR, and VA and one of KY, GA, or MS. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »

dole deserves to lose.  she voted against the bailout.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »

Wins by about ten points for the GOP will be KY and MS.

Are you still insisting that Wicker will win by 10?  Jeez...

Wicker may win, but if he does it'll be very close.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies