How many deaths will it take? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:56:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How many deaths will it take? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many deaths will it take?  (Read 4147 times)
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« on: September 14, 2004, 06:38:37 AM »

How is it the most successful when nothing has been achieved yet?

We achieved our mission, to forcibly disarm Saddam Hussein. I didn't agree with this war, but Bush did what he set out to do.

Um.. how does one disarm an unarmed man exactly?
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:14:14 AM »

Predictions:

The US will decide we are done and the Iraqis will agree so we get out of their buisness, we however will not have solved much. The following will probably result:

1) The country will split.

2) Kurds will unite encouraging similar actions in (at least) Syria and Turkey. Upon which both countries (especially Turkey) will freak out and start attacking anyone they feel is threatening the integrity of the countries.

3) (this is a two parter) Either a) (most likely) Shiites will take the majority of the country and will attempt to consolidate power with Iran, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. or b) (less likely) Sunnis will take power (AGAIN!), gain sympathy from Sudan (also not the highest odds in the house), and cripple the Saudi government (whose own sunnis rise up). (and there goes our precious oil.)

4) Either way Iran is going to get deeper into the mess and they look to benifit the most.
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:55:21 AM »

I would go to jail I suppose.
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 11:32:02 AM »

Don't forget potential secular totalitarianism (e.g., Saddam).

"WHAT DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE AGAINST FREEDOM???"
Would you feel more free if a huge country came into your moderatly sized country and told you how you are goign to run things?
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:54:12 AM »

Would you feel more free if a huge country came into your moderatly sized country and told you how you are goign to run things?

Most Americans had nothing against France for aiding us in overthrowing the King fo England as our ruler.  There is no logical reason for Iraqis to oppose a foreign power that aided them in gaining freedom any more than Germans or Italians or Japanese had a right to do so in WWII.

They didn't want us there, I think that's a "logical" reason. Don't throw Japan into this, that was completely different. As for German and Italian independence, I don't really know about that.
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 09:10:40 AM »

We're not telling them how to run things.  We are trying to restore order and establish a popularly-elected government so that the people of Iraq can decide how to run things.

How would you feel if you were ruled by a brutal dictator who gassed ethnic minorities, had sick, sadistic kids who liked to torture people for sport, and built opulent palaces while you had barely enough food to survive - and the world stood by and did nothing out of respect for your "national sovereignty?"

Now, it's not my intention to justify the decision to go to war in the first place - just to say that all these people fighting against the American presence need to get some friggin' perspective!  WE ARE ON YOUR SIDE!
 Trying to establish a new government is telling them how to run things. Once it is established they theoretically will be running the show, but until them we are telling them what to do.
  Yes, his sons were sick. I think they were worse then him, honestly. In addition, it isn't the job of any country to help another out. It's nice if one does, but I would never expect it. For futher information see the foriegn policy of those of us in yellow.
  Amist all of this freedom building we are doing in the middle east (bringing Afganistan into the picture) what's happening to our local freedoms? Perhaps they had to collect ours for the war effort like the scrap metal of yesteryear.
  We are not on the side of those that want us out, obviously, otherwise they wouldn't want us out. We think we are on their side, but that kind of relation ship takes two sides. Remember that episode of the Simpsons with Itchy and Scratchy wherein Itchy makes a cloning machine for scratchy then sets it up in front of a death machine making the whole process automated? That's kinda' how I see this situation. We just send in the troupes that say, "Let's be friends... don't pay attention to the weapons hanging off of me." and they say it until they fall into the death machine.
  Ack, ok so that was the most horribly mixed analogy ever... but screw it, I'm done tping about this.
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 01:02:39 AM »

You go UAPE!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies