TERM LIMITS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TERM LIMITS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TERM LIMITS  (Read 7961 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2004, 01:58:21 AM »

A President has been elected to, and served two full terms in office. By Amendment XXII he is ineligible to be elected President a further time.

According to Amendment XII no person may become Vice President if they are constitutionally ineligible to the office of  President.

Therefore no person elected to the office of President twice may be elected to the office of Vice President.

I can reduce this to fundamental analytic logic if you like.
Demrepdan

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2004, 02:17:36 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2004, 02:18:48 AM by Demrepdan »

A President has been elected to, and served two full terms in office. By Amendment XXII he is ineligible to be elected President a further time.

According to Amendment XII no person may become Vice President if they are constitutionally ineligible to the office of  President.

Therefore no person elected to the office of President twice may be elected to the office of Vice President.

I can reduce this to fundamental analytic logic if you like.
oooooooooooooo good one.....lol

Well....I don't know what to say.....I mean....I've been told what I told you by MANY people. Lawyers (you'd think they would know). Political Science Teachers (hey...they're teachers). And I even have a BOOK.....written by someone with a Ph.D...(I can find it if you like). And they all state that there is nothing stopping you from running for Vice President if you’ve been President for 2 terms...and then assume the office after the President is dead.

You must read CAREFULLY the 22nd amendment. It says no one shall be ELECTED! not SERVE, ELECTED!!! Thus there is no constitutional ineligiblity

Now if it said SERVE....then that WOULD indeed make him ineligible as far as the 12th amendment is concerned. How is not allowing anyone from being ELECTED to the OFFICE or PRESIDENT....an "ineligibility"? He has met all the requirements it has to be President. Being elected to the office is NOT a requirement. (Look at Ford, look at Bush for crying out loud). There are KEY differences between the words SERVE and ELECT. And it says that no one shall be ELECTED to more than two terms. It clearly states that...and nothing more....

I've been told that for a long time....and it will take some HARDCORE explaining from you....to convince me otherwise....and prove all those attorneys, and teachers, and professors wrong.
dunn

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2004, 03:20:28 AM »

demrep, you are right .again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2004, 03:22:31 AM »

Well, if a former two term President was elected VP, then if something happens to the President, the Vice President would be passed over in the line of succession, since thy'd be ineligible to hold the office. So the Speaker of the House would take over. Thus, it wouldn't be a good idea to have such a person as your VP since you'd be risking turning the Presidency over to the other party if they controlled the House.

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be elected to office more than twice. So if you're elected Vice President after you've been President for 2 terms...there's nothing in the constitution that says you would not be eligible to be President.

And as far as here on the forum....I think you shouldn't be able to serve as either President or VP for more than 2 consecutive terms. VP can attempt to run for President.....but the former President shouldn't be allowed to be VP. That's how we should do it here.
The 12th amendment states that anyone ineligible for the presidency is also ineligible for the vice presidency.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004, 05:19:20 AM »

Well...I thought that the pete_bell argument was the way it was...but Demrep's argument makes sense...in the other hand why would they make the system that stupid? It basically means that there is no real term limit, right? You could run as VP after 2 terms, with an understanding that the presidential candidate steps down after the election sit out the term, then repeat the procedure for eternal time... Smiley
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2004, 08:48:28 AM »

that is what i was thinking gustaf Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 10:02:29 AM »

Great minds think alike... Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2004, 10:05:52 AM »

and so do very foolish ones Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 10:06:17 AM »

Quiet you! Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

you aren't king yet gustaf... Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2004, 10:09:43 AM »

I know, just rehearsing...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2004, 10:11:20 AM »

well unless you pay me my money, you may never be!!!!!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2004, 10:35:22 AM »

well unless you pay me my money, you may never be!!!!!

I might never be even if I pay you...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 10:38:20 AM »

well, for an extra £2.5k I could plant legal documents showing you to be the heir to the throne, that is the same split again, 1% up front, 9% when doen and 90% when you are King.
Demrepdan

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »

Well, if a former two term President was elected VP, then if something happens to the President, the Vice President would be passed over in the line of succession, since thy'd be ineligible to hold the office. So the Speaker of the House would take over. Thus, it wouldn't be a good idea to have such a person as your VP since you'd be risking turning the Presidency over to the other party if they controlled the House.

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be elected to office more than twice. So if you're elected Vice President after you've been President for 2 terms...there's nothing in the constitution that says you would not be eligible to be President.

And as far as here on the forum....I think you shouldn't be able to serve as either President or VP for more than 2 consecutive terms. VP can attempt to run for President.....but the former President shouldn't be allowed to be VP. That's how we should do it here.
The 12th amendment states that anyone ineligible for the presidency is also ineligible for the vice presidency.

Just because you can't be elected to a position....doesn't make you ineligible FOR the position. You can be COMPLETELY eliglible...being ELECTED is a minor aspect.

I say again...if the 22nd amendment were to say..."No way may SERVE more than 2 terms"..then yes...that would make him constituionally ineligible...thus he would NOT be able hold the office of Vice President....elected....or appointed...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies