TERM LIMITS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:57:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TERM LIMITS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TERM LIMITS  (Read 7954 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2004, 06:40:10 PM »

LIMIT THE PRESIDENCY TO ONE TERM.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 06:41:42 PM »

Gonna state why you think that?
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 06:43:29 PM »

I say make it unlimited and have a rule that states you cannot serve more then 2 terms in a row.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »

To ensure competitive primary elections.  The incumbent will always win in the primary if that isn't the case.  Competitive year-round elections are exciting--non-competitive primaries aren't.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:45:03 PM »

I think a maximum of three terms, but no consecutive terms.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 06:45:59 PM »

To ensure competitive primary elections.  The incumbent will always win in the primary if that isn't the case.  Competitive year-round elections are exciting--non-competitive primaries aren't.
I agree. Good points.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 06:46:17 PM »

I think a maximum of three terms, but no consecutive terms.
Okay, that makes sense.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 06:49:01 PM »

to be honest, on this issue, my mind is flittering around; I don't have a defined position.

I think that people should be able tom serve more then one term, and I think the elections should be at least every four months.The bit i'm unsure onis the consecutivity.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 06:49:41 PM »

I against consecutive terms.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 06:49:51 PM »

I say make it unlimited and have a rule that states you cannot serve more then 2 terms in a row.

Sounds good. Either that or, a 3 term limit, that only allows 2 of the terms to be consecutive.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 07:07:05 PM »

Can a former president then be elected VP?
For example if Nym90 and I win, then next time I could be P and he could be VP, then we could keep switching around for 6 terms. . .
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 07:11:47 PM »

For example if Nym90 and I win, then next time I could be P and he could be VP, then we could keep switching around for 6 terms. . .

Hmmm..good point...but if you run as VP you have to be eligible for president, like in real life, so it wouldn't be allowed.
Demrepdan

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 07:46:38 PM »

Hmmm..good point...but if you run as VP you have to be eligible for president, like in real life, so it wouldn't be allowed.

It IS allowed in real life...
Demrepdan

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 07:47:56 PM »

And I'm still for the 2 consecutive term thing. You can serve two terms...and then you're out. You have to wait another 4 months to run. I like the idea of incumbency. To cheer someone on....to be elected 4 more month! 4 more months!

We won't be able to do that.....
dunn

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 07:50:45 PM »

And I'm still for the 2 consecutive term thing. You can serve two terms...and then you're out. You have to wait another 4 months to run. I like the idea of incumbency. To cheer someone on....to be elected 4 more month! 4 more months!

We won't be able to do that.....

I agree
DEMREP you can be a fine vp
the constituional party (not a final name) endorse demrep for vp untul the constituional convevtion that is
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 07:51:11 PM »

To run as VP if you're not allowed to be president? I didn't think so...seems weird.
dunn

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 07:56:06 PM »

To run as VP if you're not allowed to be president? I didn't think so...seems weird.

yeah   you can not ce elected to prez more then twice but can be vp
o/c if becoming prez again its just till the ens of theterm
Demrepdan

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 07:56:23 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2004, 07:56:54 PM by Demrepdan »

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be ELECTED as President more than twice.....accordingly.....a former 2 term President can serve as Vice President...even though the President may die...making the former President (who is now VP)...President again.
dunn

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be ELECTED as President more than twice.....accordingly.....a former 2 term President can serve as Vice President...even though the President may die...making the former President (who is no VP)...President again.

I just said that
you are my man
and my vp
Demrepdan

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 07:59:56 PM »

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be ELECTED as President more than twice.....accordingly.....a former 2 term President can serve as Vice President...even though the President may die...making the former President (who is no VP)...President again.

I just said that
you are my man
and my vp

lol...we almost posted it at the same time. Smiley
dunn

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 08:01:50 PM »

I just said that
you are my man
and my vp

lol...we almost posted it at the same time. Smiley

yeah
your are invited to the constituional party (name not final) convention (date tba). is might coz a steer though if you are the vp
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 12:46:29 AM »

Well, if a former two term President was elected VP, then if something happens to the President, the Vice President would be passed over in the line of succession, since thy'd be ineligible to hold the office. So the Speaker of the House would take over. Thus, it wouldn't be a good idea to have such a person as your VP since you'd be risking turning the Presidency over to the other party if they controlled the House.
Demrepdan

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 01:26:18 AM »

Well, if a former two term President was elected VP, then if something happens to the President, the Vice President would be passed over in the line of succession, since thy'd be ineligible to hold the office. So the Speaker of the House would take over. Thus, it wouldn't be a good idea to have such a person as your VP since you'd be risking turning the Presidency over to the other party if they controlled the House.

The 22nd amendment says no one shall be elected to office more than twice. So if you're elected Vice President after you've been President for 2 terms...there's nothing in the constitution that says you would not be eligible to be President.

And as far as here on the forum....I think you shouldn't be able to serve as either President or VP for more than 2 consecutive terms. VP can attempt to run for President.....but the former President shouldn't be allowed to be VP. That's how we should do it here.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 01:43:57 AM »

Amendment XII:

... But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.
Demrepdan

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2004, 01:51:40 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2004, 01:53:35 AM by Demrepdan »

Amendment XII:

... But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

That's the 12th amendment....and you took it out of context to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

What the section means...is that if you're not 35....not born in this country....not a citizen...blah blah blah. You must meet those requirements.

What I am saying about how a former President can serve as Vice President....and then if the President dies then the former 2 terms President who is now Vice President would take office....that is all true. And I've been told that by political science teachers, lawyers, regular teachers, and I've even read books written by Ph.D's on the subject.

Amendment XXII:
Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies