Which of these is more deplorable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:16:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of these is more deplorable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: **see post below**Which of these is more deplorable?/Which do you think most U.S. citizens are more offended by?
A/A

A/B

B/A

B/B

scenario A (Ind./other)

scenario B (Ind./other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Which of these is more deplorable?  (Read 4392 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »
« edited: October 06, 2008, 09:55:06 PM by nclib »

Edit: Ignore the last two options in the poll.

____

Imagine both take place on city sidewalks

A: Two consenting adults have explicit sexual intercourse.

B: One (unprovoked) severely beats up the other.

-------

B/A

I'm not condoning either, but it seems our society is more offended by sexual impropriety than violence, while it should be the other way around.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:24 PM »

B would be a felony that one would probably spend several years in prison over, A would be a misdemeanor that would probably result in some sort of fine.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »

I'm not condoning either, but it seems our society is more offended by sexual impropriety than violence, while it should be the other way around.

I've heard people say that for years. Indeed, movies need an unreal amount of blood & violence to receive an NC-17 rating, while the amount of sexual content needed is much lower.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »

3 of the 4 people need to go to jail.  1 (the violent one) should stay there a lot longer.  There is a time and place for both violence and sex, sometimes at the same time, but that time and place is never on a city side walk.  What if it was a staged fight like the sex was, would it be just as wrong?  No, it would be much less wrong.  My point, your analogy is weak.  Your point is correct, we are more acceptable to violence than we are sex, but your analogy is weak.  For it to work, they'd both need to be staged acts or neither be a staged act.  If you stage the fight it becomes much less wrong (still wrong though) and if you unstage the sex it becomes rape which is much worse than a random beating.

A better example of this hypocrisy by the American public would be primetime TV.  You can see a thousand shootings and stabbings and beatings, but if you see one boob the world will end.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »

3 of the 4 people need to go to jail.  1 (the violent one) should stay there a lot longer.  There is a time and place for both violence and sex, sometimes at the same time, but that time and place is never on a city side walk.  What if it was a staged fight like the sex was, would it be just as wrong?  No, it would be much less wrong.  My point, your analogy is weak.  Your point is correct, we are more acceptable to violence than we are sex, but your analogy is weak.  For it to work, they'd both need to be staged acts or neither be a staged act.  If you stage the fight it becomes much less wrong (still wrong though) and if you unstage the sex it becomes rape which is much worse than a random beating.

A better example of this hypocrisy by the American public would be primetime TV.  You can see a thousand shootings and stabbings and beatings, but if you see one boob the world will end.

I understand your point, though my analogy was meant to address the fact that the combination of non-consent and violence is still less offensive to the general public than sexual inpropriety.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »

If you stage the fight it becomes much less wrong (still wrong though) and if you unstage the sex it becomes rape which is much worse than a random beating.

What? The scenario states that the sex was between two consenting adults. And I recognize the originally state movie stuff, but the question didn't imply that this had a possibility of being "staged" anyway.

As for the question, I think the violence is worse, of course.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »

Right, the violence is worse because it's not consensual like the sex was.  You make the fight consensual too and the sex becomes worse.  Make them both non-consensual and the sex is still worse.  The fact that the two sex partners were both consenting and the fighters were not is going to skew the answers to the poll.  If you want to make a fair comparison you have to start from the same place and this analogy doesn't do that.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Don't ask me how I know, but there's a new pr0n site that is dedicated specifically to public sex on European streets. Supposedly the cops let them off with a "If you cause an accident, it's on you"
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

B/B
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

You make the fight consensual too and the sex becomes worse. 

Why the devil would the sex be worse if both were 'consensual'?  I'd rather see some sex than some vicious sadomasochistic beating. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »

Well it would depend on the circumstances of both of course.  Fully clothed through the pants up the skirt sex on a park bench would be different than a midget skat party just like a pro wrestling style match would be different than bricks being smashed into a toddler's head.

But I'd rather turn a corner and see a typical street fight than typical street sex.  YMMV
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:08:08 AM »

Do you think its a negative evolutionary trait that we are more repulsed by reproduction than death?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »

Do you think its a negative evolutionary trait that we are more repulsed by reproduction than death?

No it isn't evolutionary, its cultural and historical.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »

I think you misunderstood. Perhaps this cultural trait puts us at a evolutionary disadvantage.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »

I think you misunderstood. Perhaps this cultural trait puts us at a evolutionary disadvantage.

Given how long evolution in the way you are thinking takes and the length of time of the present epoch, I don't think you are thinking through this very well.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »

I choose both, both scenarios should be felonies (but in B, only the one who beats up the other should be punished, the victim is usually innocent.), and I would hate to see either.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »

The beating is far worse than any consensual sex on a street corner. If I were a police officer, and came across both scenes, I'd warn the couple, and tell them to leave.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:32 AM »

Right, the violence is worse because it's not consensual like the sex was.  You make the fight consensual too and the sex becomes worse.  Make them both non-consensual and the sex is still worse.  The fact that the two sex partners were both consenting and the fighters were not is going to skew the answers to the poll.  If you want to make a fair comparison you have to start from the same place and this analogy doesn't do that.

perfect answer.  Although it depends on the context - one has to assume that the sex was likely premeditated while the consensual brawl was less so.  If it's a sadomasochistic thing like Opebo suggested, then the public sex would probably be less deplorable since that would elevate the "fight" to the level of almost violent [but clothed] sex.

A consensual fight could be a drunken street brawl, gang violence, one man challenging another to a duel, etc.

Nothing wrong with sex in public, but one should probably be more discreet than a sidewalk.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »

I understand your point, though my analogy was meant to address the fact that the combination of non-consent and violence is still less offensive to the general public than sexual inpropriety.
Except the results of your poll don't show that.  Not one person was more offended by the sex.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

perfect answer.  Although it depends on the context - one has to assume that the sex was likely premeditated while the consensual brawl was less so.  If it's a sadomasochistic thing like Opebo suggested, then the public sex would probably be less deplorable since that would elevate the "fight" to the level of almost violent [but clothed] sex.

A consensual fight could be a drunken street brawl, gang violence, one man challenging another to a duel, etc.

Nothing wrong with sex in public, but one should probably be more discreet than a sidewalk.

I agree as well... I'd also like to go watch "Fight Club" now.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »

Except the results of your poll don't show that.  Not one person was more offended by the sex.

I was referring to the general public, which my poll supports. I was contrasting forummers beliefs compared to the general public.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 04:28:17 AM »

If you're going to look at sex and violence in terms of evolution, you need to consider the entire human race.  Don't forget there's plenty of other cultures that do things we consider either taboo or just flat out wrong.  But for them it's tradition, or even just ordinary.  And I'm talking about so called 'civilized' places as well as otherwise.

Watch the series Taboo on National Geographic, it's pretty cool, and I actually learned some things form it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31:18 AM »

I was referring to the general public, which my poll supports.
Cite?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »

B/A
Pages: [1]