Barletta up eight over Kanjorski in GOP internal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:00:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Barletta up eight over Kanjorski in GOP internal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barletta up eight over Kanjorski in GOP internal.  (Read 2162 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Barletta_poll_shows_bigger_lead_10-08-2008.html

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »

Nothing new here.  Kanjorski looks to be toast.  Have there been any polls showing the incumbent ahead here?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »

Nothing new here.  Kanjorski looks to be toast.  Have there been any polls showing the incumbent ahead here?

Not recently. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's just so weird that this may happen...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »

Hah, ask and ye shall receive:

DCCC Poll Shows Kanjorski Leads Barletta by 8

http://dccc.org/blog/archives/dccc_poll_shows_kanjorski_leads_barletta_by_8/
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

I really hope Barletta can pull this one off. I have a friend who is from Hazelton and is friends with one of Barletta’s daughters and says Lou’s a pretty decent guy who is legitimately passionate about the issues. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »

I really hope Barletta can pull this one off. I have a friend who is from Hazelton and is friends with one of Barletta’s daughters and says Lou’s a pretty decent guy who is legitimately passionate about the issues. 

I have a relative who says he's a corrupt dirtball who was involved with coke dealers.

I don't envy anyone having to vote in this one.  I wish someone would have primaried Kanjorski.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »

I have a relative who says he's a corrupt dirtball who was involved with coke dealers.

Uh...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »

Wow, I almost hope Kanjorski loses after reading this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course I wouldn't vote for that bigoted piece of crap Barletta ever though.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

Uh...

I've even heard of possible mob connections.  This is just word of mouth though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »

Uh...

I've even heard of possible mob connections.  This is just word of mouth though.

You mean...rumors of an Italian American politician with mob ties? No way!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

Uh...

I know someone who also knows one of his daughters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »

Uh...

And that doesn't make it true.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

...this thread is skirting around a word that srts with "l", ends with the same letter and also includes an "i", a "b" and an "e"...
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »

Uh...

Well I’m just reporting what I’ve heard, though I do recognize that maybe I should not have used second (third?) hand accounts. I’m just saying that the one person I talked to who tends to be a liberal likes the guy. But of course, I suppose that proves nothing race wise. Just consider it a bit of gossip from the grapevine, eh?.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »

Tom Davis called Kanjorski the most vulnerable D House incumbent in the country. Even DCCC head honcho Van Hollen conceded that Kanjorski is in trouble.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »

...this thread is skirting around a word that srts with "l", ends with the same letter and also includes an "i", a "b" and an "e"...

Slander & libel laws in the United States are extremely lax compared to those in the United Kingdom. Even more so in reference to politicians.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »

Tom Davis called Kanjorski the most vulnerable D House incumbent in the country. Even DCCC head honcho Van Hollen conceded that Kanjorski is in trouble.

Ya, I think I'm going to put him over Lampson now.  If Barletta's still up in this environment (and I think he is), Kanjorski is in trouble.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »

I think Kanjorski may pull this out.  This is a Democratic district and its a Democratic year.  I also expect that Obama will now carry the district.  Can you imagine anyone voting for Obama and then voting for Barletta? 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

I think Kanjorski may pull this out.  This is a Democratic district and its a Democratic year.  I also expect that Obama will now carry the district.  Can you imagine anyone voting for Obama and then voting for Barletta? 

Yes.  Democrats who think that Biden is a swell blue collar guy from Scranton but hate illegal immigrants enough to vote for Barletta.  And the Hazelton residents who know Mayor Bareltta best.  Admittedly, not large groups, but perhaps large enough to swing the election. 

And it's not like PA-11 is THAT Democratic - Kerry won it 53-47.  Gore won it 54-43. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 10:48:59 PM »

Yes.  Democrats who think that Biden is a swell blue collar guy from Scranton but hate illegal immigrants enough to vote for Barletta.  And the Hazelton residents who know Mayor Bareltta best.  Admittedly, not large groups, but perhaps large enough to swing the election. 

And it's not like PA-11 is THAT Democratic - Kerry won it 53-47.  Gore won it 54-43. 

Thats significant for two Democrats that lost the election nationally.  If this district is not that Democratic, would you admit that MN-06 is not that Republican?  They are both +5 districts for each party when compared to the national average.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »

Can you imagine anyone voting for Obama and then voting for Barletta? 

Barletta has a very strong person following.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2008, 11:50:20 PM by cinyc »

Thats significant for two Democrats that lost the election nationally.  If this district is not that Democratic, would you admit that MN-06 is not that Republican?  They are both +5 districts for each party when compared to the national average.

I didn't say PA-11 is not Democratic.  I said it's not THAT Democratic.

My point is that PA-11 isn't some big city urban district where the Democrat usually wins with 80+ percent of the vote.  It's more marginal than that - Democrat-leaning, but not always a foregone conclusion.  A well-known, well-funded Republican who runs a very good campaign could win it.

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 11:52:47 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2008, 11:55:50 PM by MarkWarner08 »

I didn't say PA-11 is not Democratic.  I said it's not THAT Democratic.

My point is that PA-11 isn't some big city urban district where the Democrat usually wins with 80+ percent of the vote.  It's more marginal than that - Democrat-leaning, but not always a foregone conclusion. A well-known Repubcan who runs a very good campaign could win it.

Exactly. This is one of those districts that can only be one if the incumbent is implicated in some scandal (check), and if the challenger is well-known (check) and runs a good campaign (check). Basically, all three key metrics have been satisfied for the challenger to stand a good chance of winning. It also doesn't hurt that this is a culturally conservative district replete with folks who proudly "cling to their guns." Obama may even underperform Kerry's 2004 showing, whilst winning the state overall by a larger margin than Kerry did.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies