Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP  (Read 2155 times)
Punditty
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »

Thanks to all who voted in the hypothetical presidental poll, which I touted here last month. As many expected he would, Ron Paul won convincingly over Barack Obama, 79 to 20 percent.

If the conventional wisdom is right that the Republicans are going to get hung out to dry on Nov. 4, then that would mean an essentially leaderless, rudderless party. Certainly Palin should be considered among the possible successors, but it remains to be seen if she can stand up to national scrutiny and maintain any sort of meaningful following. I haven't seen anything yet showing me that she can.

Dr. Ron Paul probably won't be the nominee in 2012, but he's set in motion a grassroots, pro-liberty effort that could have wide-reaching effects on the future of the Republican Party. That is the direction the party will have to take if it wants to be competitive again in the near-term.

More at:
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/1488834-ron-paul
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:52:18 AM »

He won't even run in 2012.  He wouldn't have a chance.  He's also not going to be a leader in the GOP, or even among House Republicans.

I can only hope he's started a movement.  It's not anywhere near electoral success yet, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »

Libertarianism is not a recipe for electoral success. While we may extol the virtues of liberty, the fact of the matter is that as long as God, Guns, & Gays remain the salient issues for a large section of the population, the Libertarian movement is not likely to be successful.

Of course, Americans probably aren't that aware of how incompatible folksy Bible-thumping is with freedom & justice, so they don't realize the hypocrisy of their position.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »

Thanks to all who voted in the hypothetical presidental poll, which I touted here last month. As many expected he would, Ron Paul won convincingly over Barack Obama, 79 to 20 percent.

No wai. Ron Paul winning an internetz polls? No wai!
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »

Punditty is here only to promote Paul, again and again and again and again.....

Punditty, please stop. You're in a forum of political junkies.
We want to see INFORMATION, POLITICAL ANALYSIS, ELECTORAL MAPS, ELECTORAL PREDICTIONS, HISTORICAL UCHRONIES, POLITICAL JOKES, WEIRD SCENARIOS,....

But not propaganda.

And almost everyone here is already convinced by a party, a man, a woman, a candidate.

So, stop it, it's useless and you bother everyone.

Thank you.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

Paul will be like 75 in 2012. His ceiling is what he got in this year's primary. He attracts a certain kind of voter and that's about it. He has slightly more appeal than the Libertarian party as a whole.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »

Punditty is here only to promote Paul, again and again and again and again.....

Punditty, please stop. You're in a forum of political junkies.
We want to see INFORMATION, POLITICAL ANALYSIS, ELECTORAL MAPS, ELECTORAL PREDICTIONS, HISTORICAL UCHRONIES, POLITICAL JOKES, WEIRD SCENARIOS,....

But not propaganda.

And almost everyone here is already convinced by a party, a man, a woman, a candidate.

So, stop it, it's useless and you bother everyone.

Thank you.

^^^^^
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »

One way to instantly tell if someone is a moron is if they supported Ron Paul first, then switched to Barack Obama after it became clear the former was going nowhere.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

If the conventional wisdom is right that the Republicans are going to get hung out to dry on Nov. 4, then that would mean an essentially leaderless, rudderless party. Certainly Palin should be considered among the possible successors, but it remains to be seen if she can stand up to national scrutiny and maintain any sort of meaningful following. I haven't seen anything yet showing me that she can.

Dr. Ron Paul probably won't be the nominee in 2012, but he's set in motion a grassroots, pro-liberty effort that could have wide-reaching effects on the future of the Republican Party. That is the direction the party will have to take if it wants to be competitive again in the near-term.

More at:
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/1488834-ron-paul

I'm sorry I missed your hypothetical poll.  But I did vote for Ron Paul in my state's caucus on January 3.  But that was only a real poll, not a hypothetical one, so it probably doesn't count.  I can't say I'm surprised he didn't win the party's nomination, but I agree that the disdain for the Bush Doctrine, the out-of-control spending by both major parties, and his ideological purism is something that any conservative ought never forget.

I don't buy the rudderless party argument theory.  The defining characteristic of the Republican party is, and always has been, since its first national convention in Pittsburgh in 1856, nationalism.  That's all.  Abject nationalism.  Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord.  He is trampling through the vintage with his terrible swift sword.  And all that.  Nothing has changed with respect to the defining character of the GOP, and nothing is likely to.  Lincoln, Bush, and every successful Republican in between has wrapped himself up in God and The Flag.  And, frankly, there's nothing wrong with that.  McCain may be a tired, old warrior stuck in another time--an over-patriotic warhawk during a period when we need peacemakers right now--but he's as nationalistic as Bush, Lincoln, and any Republican in between.  The reasons he won't win are largely out of his control, though.  The Republic and its voters have survived worse crises than those which exist right now.  And one of the main reasons is that we're pretty good at knowing when we need to wrap ourselves up in God and The Flag, and when we don't.  Right now just isn't the time.  I, for one, plan on voting for Obama.  And I think many unaffiliated voters and "liberal republicans" will do the same.  So it really doesn't matter whether the GOP had nominated a less imperialistic nationalist like Ron Paul, or a more imperialist nationalist like John McCain, since right now the folks want us out of Iraq, out of unmarketable debt, and into easy liquidity.  And those rants demand less nationalism and more reflexive politics.  So it's not a good year for the GOP.  But the Republicans will be fine with or without McCain.  They'll meet whatever challenges their party faces, and they'll meet them successfully. 

Hard call about 2012.  But Ron Paul is a very old man, even now his best endorsement amounts to "hey, if you like cynthia mckinney better than john mccain, then by all means, vote for Cynthia McKinney."  Somehow, that sounds like a tired old man.  Noble in ideology, but frustrated.  I don't see the Libertarian Party or the Republican Party nominating him in this lifetime.  Anyone positioning himself for the Libertarian Party nomination in 2012 simply doesn't ask you to seriously consider voting for Cynthia McKinney in 2008. 
Punditty
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »

Thanks for the serious reply, Angus. That's the kind of thoughtful discussion I was hoping to generate with the post, but others have a point - this forum is about Campaign 2008. My bad for posting it in this particular space.

Sorry if it seems like I'm running interference for Ron Paul. I just think that his economic theories have been and will continue to be vindicated. It's not going to be Ron Paul, of course, who takes the helm in 2012, but I would bet that the Evangelical Wing has less influence and the emergent libertarian wing will grow in influence as the next cycle approaches. Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson would appeal to the same people Paul does, and he would only be 59. If not Johnson, someone who sees that the ideology has appeal will step in and "mold themselves" to take the baton. Word.

Loved the line about how you can tell someone is a moron if he first supported Paul then switched to Obama when he saw Paul wasn't going anywhere. That's a good one. Whereas if someone has always supported McCain, or switched to McCain after they saw Hillary wasn't going to win, is...what? A wise guy?

And since it seems to be bothering some people in the forum, I will try to do a better job of checking my interest in Ron Paul at the door.  I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself anyway, assuming that the GOP is going to lose about a dozen seats in the House and may end up needing Lieberman to caucus with them in order to stay above 40 votes in the Senate.

There's just under a month left to go in this campaign, so I'll be turning my focus back to more immediate matters.

All the Best,

Punditty

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies