Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:32:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul supporters well-positioned in battle for future direction of the GOP  (Read 2180 times)
Punditty
Rookie

« on: October 10, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »

Thanks to all who voted in the hypothetical presidental poll, which I touted here last month. As many expected he would, Ron Paul won convincingly over Barack Obama, 79 to 20 percent.

If the conventional wisdom is right that the Republicans are going to get hung out to dry on Nov. 4, then that would mean an essentially leaderless, rudderless party. Certainly Palin should be considered among the possible successors, but it remains to be seen if she can stand up to national scrutiny and maintain any sort of meaningful following. I haven't seen anything yet showing me that she can.

Dr. Ron Paul probably won't be the nominee in 2012, but he's set in motion a grassroots, pro-liberty effort that could have wide-reaching effects on the future of the Republican Party. That is the direction the party will have to take if it wants to be competitive again in the near-term.

More at:
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/1488834-ron-paul
Punditty
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:01:57 PM »

Thanks for the serious reply, Angus. That's the kind of thoughtful discussion I was hoping to generate with the post, but others have a point - this forum is about Campaign 2008. My bad for posting it in this particular space.

Sorry if it seems like I'm running interference for Ron Paul. I just think that his economic theories have been and will continue to be vindicated. It's not going to be Ron Paul, of course, who takes the helm in 2012, but I would bet that the Evangelical Wing has less influence and the emergent libertarian wing will grow in influence as the next cycle approaches. Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson would appeal to the same people Paul does, and he would only be 59. If not Johnson, someone who sees that the ideology has appeal will step in and "mold themselves" to take the baton. Word.

Loved the line about how you can tell someone is a moron if he first supported Paul then switched to Obama when he saw Paul wasn't going anywhere. That's a good one. Whereas if someone has always supported McCain, or switched to McCain after they saw Hillary wasn't going to win, is...what? A wise guy?

And since it seems to be bothering some people in the forum, I will try to do a better job of checking my interest in Ron Paul at the door.  I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself anyway, assuming that the GOP is going to lose about a dozen seats in the House and may end up needing Lieberman to caucus with them in order to stay above 40 votes in the Senate.

There's just under a month left to go in this campaign, so I'll be turning my focus back to more immediate matters.

All the Best,

Punditty

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies