Mexican site
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:46:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mexican site
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mexican site  (Read 1732 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:11:35 PM »

Prez Mex,

when will you make a Mexican site like this?  I want to see one.

From,

K4P
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:16:52 PM »

Hey K4P... no progress yet, I've been pretty busy with school. Hope to get to work on it in the next weeks.
Do you have specific suggestions?
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »

PrezMex, why the Democrat avatar? Your political compass score would suggest that you are pretty conservative. -1.69 isn't that liberal on the social spectrum, and you have over a 5 on the economic.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »

Hi Kodratos, I hope this helps explain. I had already answered that to John Ford, so I went to look for what I had replied to him.

PrezMex,

I just looked at your compass score, whats with the red avatar?

Hi John, well, this can be a little long. I guess I should post it in the 'individual politics' sections but at least I will try to summarize it as best as I can (without closing the possibility of discussing it with more detail in that section).
Several things cause me to have a red avatar:
1) First Impressions - When I started giving attention to American Politics, Reagan was President and I didn't like him then. I have changed my opinion in the past years and have learned to appreciate many of his ideas and actions (without still being critical of him on some policies). The Reagan administration didn't have an easy relationship with Mexico and I guess that gave my initial sympathy to the Democrats.
2) Political Jacobinism - My family is agnostic and I grew as one. I've changed that also and now I consider myself (that's a long long story) Jewish at heart. But, because of my family formation and because I grew up in Mexico, where there's a strong tradition of strict State and church separation, I'm totally, strongly opposed to any kind of relationship between State and church. Given that the Republican Party has a strong component of what is called the 'religious right', I cannot feel comfortable with a party that includes in its platform certain 'moral directives'
3) Libertarianism and Economic Freedom - I'm closer to libertarian ideas in many aspects. I'm total supporter of free trade, free immigration, gay rights, some minority rights, etc. I personally disapprove abortion, but I wouldn't criminalize it. On the other hand, coming from a city and a country with a lot of crime, I have antilibertarian position in the following: I favor strict gun controls and strict drug enforcement. I don't like big governments and favor low and flat rate taxes, but being an economist and liking efficient solutions, I don't buy all the talk about how everything has to be left to the states to solve and basically eliminate the federal government; it seems like many have not heard about 'scale economies'. This all makes a strange mix. I guess this would classify me as a 'Rockefeller Republican'
4) Bill Clinton. This can be controversial, but well I guess we are all entitled to have our political heroes. He's mine. I've always liked him, I trust him. I liked how he steered the Democratic Party towards the center. I think many of his policies made a lot of sense. He risked a lot of his political capital saving Mexico from the economic crisis. And, as the rest of the world also believes, the Lewinsky scandal was just a silly thing that in no way warranted even an investigation (I totally respect that you might have a different opinion on this, this is just my opinion); in this way, I will always hold a certain grudge against the Republicans after the impeachment.

Further random considerations: Reagan + Clinton made the best economic policies for the United States (both of them, and I believe they don't necessarily contradict each other). I'm a Clinton, Lieberman, Clark kind of Democrat or (I think is similar) a Rockefeller Republican.
I think going to war in Iraq was the right thing to do - I think it was lousy planned.
I think terrorism and Al Qaeda are the number one enemy - I think that, without intending it that way, the current policies are not helping to effectively fight them.
I think France and Germany were (are) wrong and acted irresponsibly - I think Bush didn't try harder to get other countries on board.
I think Bush is a well intentioned, principled (although I don't agree with some of his), patriot, likeable and funny guy - I think Cheney is a dangerous lunatic.

I hope this kind of explains my red avatar.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 04:07:40 PM »

I understand. Clinton used to be one of my heros as well. I didn't become a Republican until 2000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies