Canada 2008: Official Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:34:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2008: Official Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Canada 2008: Official Results Thread  (Read 38301 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2008, 12:57:19 AM »

Anyone else kind of shocked by how tight Portneuf-Jacques-Cartier ended up being? Imagine if the Conservatives had run a candidate.

Yes. Pleasantly. Yet also with some frustration. If only...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »

Siksay and Dosanjh have hung on. And Martin has won by 68 votes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2008, 01:00:48 AM »

The Conservatives end up with 143 seats. They just were nosed out by 62 votes or something in a BC riding, and are not in the hunt for the remaining four seats out.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »

If Rae is elected leader, how much do NDP numbers in Ontario jump?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2008, 01:09:33 AM »

If Rae is elected leader, how much do NDP numbers in Ontario jump?

The NDP numbers in Torono Centre haven't exactly leapt up...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »

I think a lot of Ontario voters still have pretty unpleasant memories of the Rae Government. I'm not quite sure how helpful he would be.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »

Nunavut called for the Conservatives. Only ones left uncalled are Edmonton-Strathcona and Brossard-La Prairie
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »

In totally not Liberal leadership election related news, Kennedy won his seat, Iggy increased his majority and I think Rae may have won by more than Graham did. And Dryden nearly lost in what was, for decades, an extremely safe seat.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2008, 01:25:11 AM »

The Conservatives end up with 143 seats. They just were nosed out by 62 votes or something in a BC riding, and are not in the hunt for the remaining four seats out.

That was Keith Martin's riding (Esquimalt-Juan La Fuca).  Martin is a Liberal, but small c conservative/libertarian who was behind the push to rid Canada's human rights commissions of their ability to squelch free speech.  So that Liberal win might be considered a conservative win, too.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »

Harper didn't get a majority, so I'm satisfied.

I saw Jack Layton speak for the first time (on C-SPAN). I was impressed with what I saw.

Once again I am shocked at how little news coverage this election has gotten in the States. At least C-SPAN covered it, but besides that its as if the American media takes pride in not giving a damn about foreign elections. And its not because of our own election or the economic crisis, its been like this the last 2 Canadian elections.

I am dissapointed that the Conservatives gained Kenora, Egmont and Miramichi, but glad that the NDP got a seat in Alberta. Sorensen got over 80% in Crowfoot again! What a god-awful place that must be. I'm very annoyed that Nunavut went to the Conservatives. Did they even want Nunavut to be created in the first place? I'm also glad that the NDP regained Churchill.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »

I'm back, y'all. I'm rather satisfied with the results. I did say we'd win 37 seats, didn't I? Just not in the same areas.

I'm very surprised about Sudbury, shocker of the night for sure! And, I LOVE NORTHERN ONTARIO!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2008, 02:25:58 AM »

Fantastic result in Thornhill. Peter Kent was a strong candidate. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Parliamentary Secretaryship.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2008, 03:33:29 AM »

Fantastic result in Thornhill. Peter Kent was a strong candidate. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Parliamentary Secretaryship.

One of the guys working on the Ottawa South campaign is from Thornhill. (Jewish, of course). He was very pissed at the results there.

Overall, terrible result for us in Ottawa South. Ugh... I didn't think it was possible to do worse than the 2007 provincial election. At least we beat the arrogant prick running for the Green Party.

As for Ottawa Centre, where I voted... hip hip hurrah!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2008, 03:36:26 AM »

One of the guys working on the Ottawa South campaign is from Thornhill. (Jewish, of course). He was very pissed at the results there.

Overall, terrible result for us in Ottawa South. Ugh... I didn't think it was possible to do worse than the 2007 provincial election. At least we beat the arrogant prick running for the Green Party.

As for Ottawa Centre, where I voted... hip hip hurrah!

From what I hear, it was the Jewish vote that handed it to the Conservatives there.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2008, 03:46:08 AM »

How long until Dion gets the boot? I must admit I find it funny that Dion says that the Liberals could have actually won the election if they had more time to campaign. I doubt even if they had more time to do so that the Liberals would have done so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2008, 03:53:01 AM »

Meh. I was secretly hoping for at least 43, same as 1988. Cheesy And for Tories under the crucially all-important psychological number of 133.
Don't think I only got up - I spent the past 70 minutes on the CBC and CanadaVotes (and electionprediction) websites.

Care to tell me why no one's ever bothered to point out Welland to me?
Oh and Angry to Saskatchewan and Cheesy to Strathcona! I picked the right avatar. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2008, 04:09:30 AM »

Well spotted. A possible Liberal takeback in the Estrie; not something anyone had predicted, I think.

No, I think people were aware Brome-Missisquoi might be in danger. At least, I was. But I think the Bloc will hold it, barely.
I think it was sort of "Liberals won't take a seat in the Estrie back, but if they do it's this one".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2008, 04:18:33 AM »

I think before the next election. Think means hope. But there's been a new census.
Nope, no remap after censi ending in 6. You'll have to wait til after the 2011 Census.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2008, 04:40:11 AM »

I think before the next election. Think means hope. But there's been a new census.
Nope, no remap after censi ending in 6. You'll have to wait til after the 2011 Census.

Fuck. Though maybe the next election will be a while after that. Sort of amusing that the NDP did better in Saskatchewan than Manitoba, but won no seats in the former and four in the latter...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2008, 04:42:15 AM »

The Parliament would have to last its entire term (5 years that is, not 10 months. Grin ), and the boundary commission take as long as last time (which was much less than the four times before that, law change maybe?) or shorter to complete its review, for new boundaries to be in effect for the next election. It's exceedingly unlikely.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2008, 04:50:09 AM »

Harper wants to add seats to BC, AB and ON, I dont know when they will do that, and if they would change borders in the other provinces or not at that time.

Anyways, I happy to say I did better in my predictions in Ontario than electionpredictions.org. That's all that matters. (Their site says they have 10 wrong, but missed Kitchener-Waterloo and just counted wrong. They got 12 wrong.

I was right when they weren't in...

Parkdale-High Park Sad (too bad to, Peggy Nash was great!)
Mississauga South
Oakville

and the one seat I got wrong that they didn't was Newmarket-Aurora.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:10 AM »

PR... using the same setup as  2006...

Newfieland
Liberal 4 (+1)
NDP 2 (+1)
CPC 1 (-2)

Nova Scotia
Liberal 4 (0)
NDP 3 (-1)
CPC 3 (0)
Greens 1 (+1)
...the obvious problem (as also wherever else an Independent does well) that the Wet Party would have gotten some scattered votes outside of CCMV under this system, which might have been enough to push him to victory (instead of a Liberal) - he wasn't that far off.

PEI
Liberal 2 (-1)
CPC 2 (+1)

New Brunswick
CPC 4 (0)
Liberal 4 (0)
NDP 2 (0)
...even though the CPC overtook the Liberals in the popular vote. I was worried about NB by the way. Damn. Why didn't I post that?* Meh. I'd have gotten the exact gains wrong anyhow.

Manitoba
CPC 7 (+1)
NDP 3 (-1)
Liberal 3 (-1)
Greenies 1 (+1)
...though the NDP overtook the Liberals.

Saskatchewan
CPC 8 (0)
NDP 4 (+1)
Liberal 2 (-1)

Territories
CPC 1 (0)
Liberal 1 (0)
NDP 1 (0)
CPC went from third to first. Surprised *how* badly Ittinuar did.

*Answer is: Because I gave up on my seat-by-seat prediction when I noticed that that would involve doing Québec, non-Northern Ontario, and Metro Vancouver, and didn't post what little I had.

Harper wants to add seats to BC, AB and ON, I dont know when they will do that, and if they would change borders in the other provinces or not at that time.
Maybe he just wants to change the law so that every Census is used? Because that would (I suppose. Haven't done the math, actually, just judging from past performance) add new seats to these three and leave the totals elsewhere unchanged. These three are proportional to each other and to a fictitious total number of seats (283 I think), everywhere else is overrepresented to varying legally guaranteed degrees.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:41 AM »

Other errors...

BC I got Surrey North wrong as well as Newton-North Delta when they got them right while I got Saanich-Gulf Islands correct when they didn't. -1 for me

In Manitoba, I was correct with Churchill when they weren't. +1 for me.

Quebec
I got wrong Charlesborug-Haute-Saint Charles and Roberval-Lac-Saint-Jean which they got correct. -2 for me

Newfoundland, I got Avalon wrong while they didn't. -1 for me

So, the net difference is -1 for me Sad Oh well, I was close. And I beat them in Ontario!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:50 AM »

Yeah, I was quite puzzled how they got that one wrong... nobrainer, it seemed to me, almost.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2008, 05:03:23 AM »

Yeah, I was quite puzzled how they got that one wrong... nobrainer, it seemed to me, almost.

Democraticspace got it wrong too, iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies