Agree or Disagree: Day 11: Bush should be tried for war crimes in 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Agree or Disagree: Day 11: Bush should be tried for war crimes in 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Agree or Disagree: Day 11: Bush should be tried for war crimes in 2009
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Agree or Disagree: Day 11: Bush should be tried for war crimes in 2009  (Read 3710 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »

You would have to somehow prove beyond reasonable doubt that his involvement in torture extended greatly beyond merely being President at the time and not caring whether it was going on or not. Extremely difficult and certainly not worth the hassle, the backlash and the various longterm results.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »

Let's run with this premise for a second. Hypothetically, if Bush were brought up on war crimes charges, can we say he'll get a fair trial, or would it be akin to a show trial, simply making him the scapegoat? Or would he be exonerated quickly? Do generals also stand trial?

As I see it, I doubt if Bush were charged it would do any good. The trial would be a global media circus.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »

Roll Eyes  Do you ever get bored with being so unoriginal?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »

Please liberals! Drag us through a war crimes trial of Bush while the economy is floundering! It wouldn't surprise me if Pelosi, Reid and Obama decide this is the most important thing to do, and then blame Bush when nothing else gets done like has happened the past two years.

Duke, that ain't gonna happen.  You know it won't.

I wouldn't put it past Pelosi and Company.

Come on. You know they do the Administration's bidding on a daily basis. The majority now is almost as compliant as the majority for Bush's first 6 years.
perdedor

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:52 PM »

Agree. That said, it's hardly worth debating. Regardless of what you put forth in defense of a trial, the right wing will just call you a crazy radical and not offer anything based in fact that proves to the contrary. All irrelevant considering that Pelosi/Reid lack the fortitude to try something so bold.

What facts can YOU present that are relevant enough for a trial?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Guantanamo Bay, anybody? The torture authorized by this administration is a violation of human rights.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »

No, I want to put Dubya behind me. I don't want to spend the next eight years hearing about him. I want to forget about him.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »

War criminal might be a little extreme but he sure as hell should be impeached. It's not really worth the time though. Everyone has already come to the right conclusion that Bush is our worst president ever.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »

War criminal might be a little extreme but he sure as hell should be impeached. It's not really worth the time though. Everyone has already come to the right conclusion that Bush is our worst president ever.

One of the tragedies of the Clinton impeachment, is that now we conflate policy decisions with criminality. Pandora's Box was opened.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 04:38:44 AM »

Of course not.

Presidents always have and always will have to sometimes send their countries' military into battle. In those cases, good American soliders often die...which is terrible...but that is war. That is what happens. That's the way it has always been, from the American Revolution to the War on Terror.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies