Agree or Disagree: Day 12: Suburbs are awesome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Agree or Disagree: Day 12: Suburbs are awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Agree or Disagree: Day 12: Suburbs are awesome
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Agree or Disagree: Day 12: Suburbs are awesome  (Read 4504 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »

Disagree

I don't despise the suburbs but I love cities. I can't see myself living outside of a major city.

If you drop into NE Philly, from space, would not you think it a suburb? Heck, wasn't it built in the 50's?

It's very odd. Do we have a suburban feel? Yes especially in certain neighborhoods (Someton, Fox Chase, parts of my neighborhood of Torresdale, Crestmont Farms, etc). That being said, we have plenty of people up here and plenty of row home areas (like mine). It's hard to explain.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

Not necessarily.

American style autocentric suburbs are pretty lame.

Suburbs back in the olden days before WWII were more dense and had corner stores and things as well as public transportation.

The suburbs I've seen in Europe were nice that way... people still had a yard to play in, garden in, etc... but then there were larger public spaces with playgrounds or soccer fields... which is something we need to embrace here.  Nobody can have their own soccer field in their backyard, so we need to make more effective use of space and save on energy doing so... all while maintaining the quaint atmosphere of a suburb.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:41 PM »

I lived in Ann Arbor BRTD. It is more of a suburb now, than then. If you have to live in the Detroit metro area, and have a family, where would you live?  That kind of answers the question no?

Well Ann Arbor isn't a choice as it's not in the Detroit metro. I'd go with a white, relatively affluent part of Detroit. I'm sure Detroit has neighborhoods with a higher median income than the one I currently live in, and certainly ones higher than the ones surrounding me (I basically live in a white enclave surrounded by the river and the ghetto.)

I note though you had to include the "have a family" part. That says a lot.

It is totally part of the Detroit metro. Stop being so stubborn! And even more now, since "nobody" works in Detroit proper anymore.

How can it be part of the Detroit metro being further away from Detroit than Toledo?

Because it isn't. Do a google maps on it, like I just did, and as I said, it is more about how far it is from where economic activity is going on in Detroit metro, which is other than Detroit City largely.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

Where are all the strip clubs in the Detroit metro located? Better yet where's the place in it closest to the awesome Canadian strip clubs across the border?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

I never much liked the suburbs, BRTD, and I was itching to move for years.  I just argued that other people can have different personal preferences than you, and you have no right to force your own aesthetic/lifestyle preferences on someone else unless they're unduly harming you or someone else.

Also, I think that lots of the reasons why you prefer the city are lame.  But I'm all about allowing for subjective preference, 'cause that's one of the awesome things about being alive.  And I'm not a fascist.

Plus, you're so fun to disagree with Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »

Where are all the strip clubs in the Detroit metro located? Better yet where's the place in it closest to the awesome Canadian strip clubs across the border?

Ypsilanti is probably packed with action, and it is only 10 miles away. Ann Arbor probably has action too, given well, who lives there. Brains need "love" too.  I doubt Windsor Canada has much action. It is just too frumpy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »

I never much liked the suburbs, BRTD, and I was itching to move for years.  I just argued that other people can have different personal preferences than you, and you have no right to force your own aesthetic/lifestyle preferences on someone else unless they're unduly harming you or someone else.

Also, I think that lots of the reasons why you prefer the city are lame.  But I'm all about allowing for subjective preference, 'cause that's one of the awesome things about being alive.  And I'm not a fascist.

Plus, you're so fun to disagree with Smiley

That wasn't really the focus of your counter-arguments though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »

I doubt Windsor Canada has much action. It is just too frumpy.

Terrible place.  Oddly, it was the most American-feeling part of Canada I've been in--not the good part of America.

I'll never forgive that plane for setting itself on fire and diverting us.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 09:48:14 PM »

That wasn't really the focus of your counter-arguments though.

You'll have to refresh my memory.  I imagine I was playing Devil's Advocate.  Look, I don't like classical music either.  But I can understand how it has merit and subjective preference allows people to appreciate that.

Because if I totally said "yeah, no one sane could like classical music" you'd theoretically be ethically sound in banning it.  I'm not cool with that.  No more than I'd be cool with someone doing that with your strip clubs.  Clean up your fluids, use a curtain, and godspeed.

There are some nice things about living in the suburbs, which I doubt I'll appreciate at any stage of my life, but that's just me.  Let me re-iterate:  just me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 10:01:18 PM »

I live in one (when not at school), so heck yes!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »

I lived in Ann Arbor BRTD. It is more of a suburb now, than then. If you have to live in the Detroit metro area, and have a family, where would you live?  That kind of answers the question no?

Well Ann Arbor isn't a choice as it's not in the Detroit metro. I'd go with a white, relatively affluent part of Detroit. I'm sure Detroit has neighborhoods with a higher median income than the one I currently live in, and certainly ones higher than the ones surrounding me (I basically live in a white enclave surrounded by the river and the ghetto.)

I note though you had to include the "have a family" part. That says a lot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

None exist in the "city," unless you live in the Renaissance Building, above the office floors.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:07 PM »

I love them they are great for sports and the things I love to do.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 11:37:39 PM »

By the way, unbeautiful downtown Detroit is close to Ann Arbor than whatever Toledo has to offer, which I suspect is nothing. And Ann Arbor is even closer to where money is made in the Detroit metro area. The Detroit airport is about 15 miles away to boot.

So flush the Toledo card. It was a joker!  Smiley

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. You can go bowling here. And there are nightclubs. So BACK OFF MAN Sad
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »

Disagree.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 12:45:53 AM »

Disagree. I like the country.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 01:24:39 AM »

It depends on what you are looking for. Burbs or course vary a lot, from elite to dumps. In general, unless you have kids, they don't make much sense, all things being equal, and depending how where and how you make ends meet. But well, some cities are a lot better than others, as we all know.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 02:04:54 AM »

Awesome, me too. Whereabouts? I was in Bursley hall for a couple years (engineering school).

I don't agree that it's a suburb, though. It certainly has its own culture very distinctive from metro Detroit, as well as its own shopping, commercial, and financial centers. And there is still some rural farmland between Ann Arbor and Detroit (not much, but some).

Only Wayne County outside Detroit, Oakland, and Macomb Counties should be considered Detroit suburbs. Washtenaw County is definitely not part of the metro area.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:40 AM »

Suburbs have everything I want in close proximity.  Living in the city (here I mean near downtown or midtown, not older suburbs that are in the city limits) would give me less living space, further distance to reasonable shopping outlets, a longer commute, less access to parks and open space, more traffic, more noise, and less of the delta breeze (which is important in the summer).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »

Depends what thou meanst by suburb. I like, as I've said before, older working class residential areas and suburbs (including low density estates here; some can actually be very nice), but they don't really count as part of suburbia. I don't like suburbia. There's something about it that I find lifeless and detestable. I was about to add that post-1980's sprawl is the worst (those things are not houses, whatever they are) but then I remembered the endless swathes of big inter-war semis... which are almost as depressing and generally awful (it's their sheer relentlessness that's so ghastly). And often badly designed, interestingly enough. Very inefficient use of space inside them, generally.

I can understand why others might have a different point of view, of course.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »

Suburbs are awesome, but this opinion may be heavily swayed but this being my lifestyle.  I can't stand the city, its too slow moving as stupid as that sounds.  I like being able to hop into my own car at my own schedule and drive where I want, I can't stand the hassle of constant heavy traffic or mass transit schedules.  The suburbs are perfect, all the culture, shopping (and by this I mean variety of stores to buy things not fancy shopping), and convience of the city but without the crowdedness and crime.  Its like combining everything that's good about urban life with everything that's good about rural life.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 04:18:33 PM »

Disagree. Look at the margins by which they voted for O'Brien the Fraud in 2006. Jesus.

The suburbs also elected the likes of Pierre Poilievre.

But I don't hate suburbs. There are good suburbs. Like Saint-Lambert, Quebec.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »

They're a great place to raise a family Smiley  I've lived my whole life in the suburbs.  I'd probably pick a suburb where the people are less snobby when I grow up, though. Tongue

Rin-chan
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

Disagree. Look at the margins by which they voted for O'Brien the Fraud in 2006. Jesus.

Yes, based on your opinion on suburbs based on how they voted in unimportant elections that no one has ever heard of
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »

Yes, based on your opinion on suburbs based on how they voted in unimportant elections that no one has ever heard of

Last time I checked, this thread asked for your opinion of suburbs.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »

Last time I checked, this thread asked for your opinion of suburbs.
Yeah, doesn't make your reasons for hating suburbs any more intelligent
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies