MN R2K: Franken +2, Barkley at 18%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:59:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  MN R2K: Franken +2, Barkley at 18%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MN R2K: Franken +2, Barkley at 18%  (Read 2143 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »

Coleman (R) 39
Franken (D) 41
Barkley (I) 18

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/19/154320/29/443/633158
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

What a hilarious race. Also interesting that Franken's approvals are better than Coleman's now.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

Minnesota sure is a whacky state when it comes to Senate and Governor races.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »

LOL. Coleman has a net 14 unfavorability, while Franken is tied. LMAO. I love this state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »

LOL. Coleman has a net 14 unfavorability, while Franken is tied. LMAO. I love this state.

You love that the conservative Republican incumbent has such an obvious unfavorability rating but is within the margin of error with his opponent?

It sure does say a lot about the state. They're obviously not that willing to vote for any liberal Democrat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »

You love that the conservative Republican incumbent has such an obvious unfavorability rating but is within the margin of error with his opponent?

It sure does say a lot about the state. They're obviously not that willing to vote for any liberal Democrat.

Neither one is popular and a third party candidate is a big factor. I'm just glad Franken isn't considered as much of a total joke here as you and others do and Coleman is absolutely hated for no reason whatsoever besides being a Republican.

And the last sentence is the dumbest thing ever. Um hello, PAUL WELLSTONE?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Uh...my point is that they won't just vote for any liberal Democrat as we can see with this race. If they were to just vote for any liberal Democrat, Franken would be running away with this.

You misunderstood how I meant "any."
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »

and Coleman is absolutely hated for no reason whatsoever besides being a Republican.

Not just because he's a Republican.....he's a Bush Republican. He was with Bush on basically everything until the winds starting blowing a different direction in 2006 or 2007.  He is just a slimy guy altogether.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Uh...my point is that they won't just vote for any liberal Democrat as we can see with this race. If they were to just vote for any liberal Democrat, Franken would be running away with this.

The fact that we have a liberal Democratic comedian running against a moderate Republican and is still competitive pretty much says that we'll vote in any liberal Democrat over a Republican slimebag like Coleman any day.

We kicked out Rudy Boschwitz and replaced him with Paul Wellstone

We kicked out Rod Grams and replaced him with Mark Dayton.

I know it annoys Republicans that we will elect a far left liberal over a far right conservative any day... but like you've said Phil... the dynamics are different here.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »

The fact that we have a liberal Democratic comedian running against a moderate Republican and is still competitive pretty much says that we'll vote in any liberal Democrat over a Republican slimebag like Coleman any day.

If Nov. 4, 2008 was indeed going to be like "any day," Al Franken would get killed.  We're in for another lame super-Democratic cycle where a bunch of lousy candidates are going to get swept into office not because they're the best candidate for the job, but because they have the right party affiliation.

No candidate models that phenomenon better than Al Franken.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

Norm Coleman is a conservative Republican and a horrible person. How can you say he's the "right person for the job"?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

If Nov. 4, 2008 was indeed going to be like "any day," Al Franken would get killed.  We're in for another lame super-Democratic cycle where a bunch of lousy candidates are going to get swept into office not because they're the best candidate for the job, but because they have the right party affiliation.

No candidate models that phenomenon better than Al Franken.
Well, that's how the lousy conservative Norm Coleman got his job in 2002.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Moderate? Wait...I thought you guys were sticking with the idea that he's a far right "Bush Republican?"

Check the talking points before you spin.

The point that it's still competitive favors my side though. Obama's going to easily win. Coleman is constantly tied to Bush. Coleman is conservative. And yet Franken is barely ahead.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh...that's not my point.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »

Lief is exactly right. Coleman only got elected in 2002 due to a huge national GOP tide and extenuating circumstances with his opponent's death and subsequent funeral.

It would be fitting for him to go out the same way he came in.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 05:15:29 PM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Moderate? Wait...I thought you guys were sticking with the idea that he's a far right "Bush Republican?"

The point that it's still competitive favors my side though. Obama's going to easily win. Coleman is constantly tied to Bush. Coleman is conservative. And yet Franken is barely ahead.

Roll Eyes

Coleman is a slimy opportunist before anything else... so it is quite possible to be both a moderate and a Bush Republican if we're talking about Norm.

But we can put it this way, Phil...

If Franken is just an easy-to-anger, inappropriate, corrupt joke of a candidate who isn't really serious at all... why is Coleman not running away with this?  After all, Coleman *is* the incumbent.

But it's pointless arguing with you.  You mock everybody's beliefs and arguments as if they're just "talking points" of their party...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

If Franken is just an easy-to-anger, inappropriate, corrupt joke of a candidate who isn't really serious at all... why is Coleman not running away with this?  After all, Coleman *is* the incumbent.

Because a sack of dirt with a "D" on it is going to get at least 45% in Minnesota, short of a Jesse Ventura or Tim Penny entry.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

Norm Coleman is a conservative Republican and a horrible person. How can you say he's the "right person for the job"?

Given a choice between getting punched in the gut and getting kicked between the legs, I'll take the punch every time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »

Because a sack of dirt with a "D" on it is going to get at least 45% in Minnesota, short of a Jesse Ventura or Tim Penny entry.

That's why I love the state. Smiley Conversely a sack of dirt with an "R" on it will only get at least 37.94%.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Roll Eyes

Coleman is a slimy opportunist before anything else... so it is quite possible to be both a moderate and a Bush Republican if we're talking about Norm.

But it's pointless arguing with you.  You mock everybody's beliefs and arguments as if they're just "talking points" of their party...

I don't mock everyone's beliefs. It's quite clear that you can't keep your allegations in line. One minute, Norm is a moderate. The next, he's far right wing. Which is it?

I've explained why Coleman isn't running away with this: he's running in Minnesota in a Presidential election year when the Democratic nominee is going to run away with the state.

Yet...he's only down by two points.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

Dumbest thing ever?

Roll Eyes

I don't mock everyone's beliefs. It's quite clear that you can't keep your allegations in line. One minute, Norm is a moderate. The next, he's far right wing. Which is it?

I've explained why Coleman isn't running away with this: he's running in Minnesota in a Presidential election year when the Democratic nominee is going to run away with the state.

Yet...he's only down by two points.

When have I ever said he was a far right winger?

An opportunist.. yes...

I'd hardly apply any term to him that might suggest any inkling of consistency.  The man would become a Democrat again if he could just to win.

And again, stop mocking and belittling my arguments if you're just going to make half of them up.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies