Rasmussen Virginia: Obama up big
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:13:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Rasmussen Virginia: Obama up big
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rasmussen Virginia: Obama up big  (Read 3823 times)
LanceMcSteel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

Virginia has now completely annexed to the Northeast, watch out Southerners you could be next!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

Maybe McCain running ads in Omaha and Wisconsin in exchange for giving up on 1/3rd of Virginia’s population, while simultaneously categorically dismissing that same population slice as insignificant, may have been a mistake?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

Too late did the McCain campaign realize that Fake and Communist America get as much as a say in the presidential election as Real America.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »

probably not.  VA is semi-safe Obama at this point.  McCain flipping the bird at NoVa was a critical mistake, though he likely would have lost the state anyway.

McCain's critical error was ignoring Virginia because he assumed he couldn't lose it. By the time his campaign realized it was in danger, they had probably lost it already.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

I'm going to save this along with your Baltimore County prediction.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

See, this is why the election might just be over... unless someone can explain to me how McCain wins the Electoral College without winning Virginia...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »

See, this is why the election might just be over... unless someone can explain to me how McCain wins the Electoral College without winning Virginia...

Pennsylvania should be very close.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »

lol
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »

because of the Bradley Effect!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »

Ugh, we're f**cked if we don't win VA.  McCain better make a turnaround in the state, or he can kiss this election goodbye.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »

I have this strange feeling...I almost want to take Virginia out of the tossup category, and make it lean Obama Smiley
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 12:16:17 AM »

You had to see this coming back in the primaries when obama crushed Hillary in Va with 60% of the vote and ALSO winning whites, which he could only muster 20% in other south states.

I often don't count VA as a southern state anymore its kinda like place all the mucky mucks live that work in the DC areas.  People from Va tend to be smarter then others in the south from what I have observed.

McCain is making a huge mistake by throwing money into Pa  hoping for some Bradley effect which could happen, but i would let the voters decide and not waste money.  Look at it this way if white people in Pa want to vote for Mccain their going to anyway SO theres no need to campaign there.   VA needed attention more.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »

McCain is making a huge mistake by throwing money into Pa  hoping for some Bradley effect which could happen, but i would let the voters decide and not waste money.  Look at it this way if white people in Pa want to vote for Mccain their going to anyway SO theres no need to campaign there.   VA needed attention more.

I'm not sure I agree.  To a large extent, the demographics have balanced between the two states.  NOVA is quite liberal -- more liberal, on both economic and social issues, than most places in PA.  Gubment teat and all that.

If VA goes blue, it's because NOVA's population simply overruns the rest of the state.  Such a result is unlikely in PA, with a lot of socially conservative small cities/towns.  VA has Newport News (Navy) and greater Roanoke.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

It's just the 30th outlier in a row,Real Virginia is going to McCain!
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »

It's just the 30th outlier in a row,Real Virginia is going to McCain!

My issue isn't that the results are outliers (they're not), just that the methodology is a little out of whack.  A lot of pollsters seem to be overestimating party ID shift.
elcorazon

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

You had to see this coming back in the primaries when obama crushed Hillary in Va with 60% of the vote and ALSO winning whites, which he could only muster 20% in other south states.

I often don't count VA as a southern state anymore its kinda like place all the mucky mucks live that work in the DC areas.  People from Va tend to be smarter then others in the south from what I have observed.

wow.  generalize much?  seriously, that's some ridiculous thinking there.  where are you from?  must be indicative of low IQ's in that area...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »

wow.  generalize much?  seriously, that's some ridiculous thinking there.  where are you from?  must be indicative of low IQ's in that area...

As far as what was in bold, it is true that VA, & Northern VA especially have the highest education rates in the entire country.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »

As far as what was in bold, it is true that VA, & Northern VA especially have the highest education rates in the entire country.

It is always a pleasure to spend time in DC among so many intelligent people, regardless of politics.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies