PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:54:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted  (Read 16193 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »

ebonics
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »

One thing this does tell me - Can't say anything bad about Obama in the next four years in my neck of the woods.  Smiley

dude, *IF* Obama loses, just color yourself dead.  I may put an Obama bumper sticker on my car just for protection

I'll just put on blackface.  I miss that era.  I love vaudeville.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »

We're getting word that this wouldn't have happened if the woman had only "clinged" to a gun. I'm sure she's feeling very bitter that she didn't do so.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »

Do you want the GOP to just give up the election because Obama is black and anything they do could hypothetically inspire a bigot?

No, no... and I know a lot of the "Obama is a Muslim" stuff comes up from the grassroots and there's not much the McCain campaign can do to rein it in. However, calling him anti-American, talking about him palling around with terrorists, that dovetails well with the worst anti-Obama crap out there and stirs people up to hate him for being a weird foreigner who hates America. Is that what you consider a constructive argument to use against Obama? There were plenty of others... calling him inexperienced wasn't racist, neither would pointing out that his running mate is owned by the credit card companies and has stupid ideas about foreign policy. I never bought that calling him a celebrity was racist, either.

No, it's not constructive, but it doesn't make him culpable for racism by his supporters, either.

I think the "palling around with terrorists" was an epic stretch (technically not inaccurate, but there's a huge difference between a 1970s radical and an Islamic fundamentalist, both in motivations and in underlying philosophies).

Palling around with anti-American radicals, however, I think that's a fair comment to make, whether or not you agree with it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »

More here...

The story from KDKA says that, "according to the police report, the officer confirmed that he "observed the wound on the right side of [her] face."

http://kdka.com/politics/McCain.Campaign.Worker.2.847449.html

But it is on the left side of her face no?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »

it's an interesting reflection of our times that potential human suffering has served as the catalyst for one our more amusing threads
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

More here...

The story from KDKA says that, "according to the police report, the officer confirmed that he "observed the wound on the right side of [her] face."

This will seem like nothing once Obama is President and Congress has been abolished in favor of a People's Politburo.  We'll move you on to those collective farms in short order, Torie.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »

More here...

Nope.  Look at the picture again.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

Do you want the GOP to just give up the election because Obama is black and anything they do could hypothetically inspire a bigot?

No, no... and I know a lot of the "Obama is a Muslim" stuff comes up from the grassroots and there's not much the McCain campaign can do to rein it in. However, calling him anti-American, talking about him palling around with terrorists, that dovetails well with the worst anti-Obama crap out there and stirs people up to hate him for being a weird foreigner who hates America. Is that what you consider a constructive argument to use against Obama? There were plenty of others... calling him inexperienced wasn't racist, neither would pointing out that his running mate is owned by the credit card companies and has stupid ideas about foreign policy. I never bought that calling him a celebrity was racist, either.

Barack's associations with Ayers and Wright and Rezko are of course fair to comment upon. It is up to each voter as to how much weight to give it. I know what weight I give it: I don't care much, except that Obama mischaracterizes and dissembles about the facts, and is quite the disingenuous opportunist, but hey, that describes a majority of politicians - you bet it does.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

We're getting word that this wouldn't have happened if the woman had only "clinged" to a gun. I'm sure she's feeling very bitter that she didn't do so.
Totally. She could have shot herself a Negro!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

This topic is disgusting on several levels
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 05:10:11 PM »

will blacks get out on hand on Halloween and go around raping white women in the name of Allah-Obama and cost BHO the election?  Wink

what city does Hell Night happen in?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »

Totally. She could have shot herself a Negro!

No, no, no. She should have just let herself be attacked. I would never call upon someone to act like an animal and defend themselves.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:16 PM »

Breaking News

Woman who was mugged - Is the baby her's or her daughter's?
BREAKING NEWS

One Obama supporter is a violent thug/criminal, Obama and supporter's entire message of change is undermined

Well, remember how the racists at the McCain rallies embodied every McCain supporter?
Of course they didn't. They did represent a small but significant of McCain's base, however, that was being emboldened (and still is) by the divisive and angry rhetoric of John McCain, Sarah Palin, and other Republican operatives.

Is there any way to ban the use of the word "divisive?" It is just so lame. Politics is all about being divisive. Yes, I know sometimes you hear of politician mouthing "bring us together," but we all know that is jive, unless "us" is meant as 51% of the voters.

In any event, I am proud to say that I have never used that word on this forum (and I use a lot of words), of if I have, it has been solely in the mode of being derisive of divisive. Smiley
Look, I don't like people calling me un-American because I'm a liberal, or anti-American because I live in a city and not some rural farming town, or a communist sympathizer because I live in DC, or that I need to be investigated for treason because I'm a Democrat, and I'm sure millions of other liberal or suburban or urban or Democratic or DC metro-residing Americans feel similarly. If you don't want to call it divisive, then don't, but they're clearly insulting millions of Americans so that they can make the millions of Americans in their camp feel better about themselves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^666
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^666
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »

as things stand now, I'm far from convinced that this woman's account is entirely truthful (believe me : a carving by a mugger would be MUCH uglier) and nobody seems to have picked up on the story except for conservative blogs.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »

as things stand now, I'm far from convinced that this woman's account is entirely truthful (believe me : a carving by a mugger would be MUCH uglier) and nobody seems to have picked up on the story except for conservative blogs.

We all heard it on MSNBC.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »

Tremendous knifemanship.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

nobody seems to have picked up on the story except for conservative blogs.

Yeah, I'm surprised Barack doesn't have this on his website with some fancy graphics.

We're Srry!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2008, 06:21:19 PM by Torie »

Yes, Lief, but think of the names I have to endure as a lawyer who doesn't pay his fair share. Thank heavens I am not an Evangelical, who likes to hunt, and drive an SUV, to boot, and live on a tobacco farm in the sticks, or I would be the veritable Great Satan in some quarters of the public square. Just grow a thicker skin and suck it up Lief. It comes with the territory of being alive, and in particular, being alive and interested in politics.

Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »

Phil's acting like a child. That's pretty funny.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm surprised Barack doesn't have this on his website with some fancy graphics.

CNN politics and crime pages? Nothing

msnbc.com front page? Nothing

Fox News? Nothing

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2008, 05:46:30 PM by Verily »

CNN politics and crime pages? Nothing

msnbc.com front page? Nothing

Fox News? Nothing

It is on foxnews.com's front page, actually. But in relatively small font, smaller than "Obamapalooza", Fox's artificial story about Obama planning a victory party if he wins the election, as if Bush and Kerry didn't both have victory celebrations planned (with accompanying question, "Is Obama jumping the gun?").

It hasn't made it to msnbc.com or cnn.com yet, at least not the front page. I would expect it to eventually; it's been on Politico.

As for the story itself, sad and stupid, as I said before. Of course, the "scar" now looks considerably less worth getting worked up about than it sounded. Looks more like scratches from a fingernail than a knife, and no bleeding. Doesn't make the motive any worse, but it certainly reduces the shock factor. Wouldn't totally surprise me if she made it up, either; such false stories came out of overzealous volunteers on both sides in 2004. But it'll be confirmed or refuted soon enough when the bank security footage comes in.
ill ind

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »

As someone in a racially mixed marriage and raising a mixed race son, I think some of you people on here are positively despicable. 

One black man's despicable actions here in no way reflect upon all black people nor upon Barack Obama himself.  To insinuate that it does is totally ignorant and sickening!!

Also, a woman was assaulted and robbed.  To say that nothing happened, or that it was faked for political gain is also pretty darn despicable.

Anyone trying to get political mileage out of this incident needs to sit back, take a chill pill, and not allow their strong emotions carry them away.  All of the facts in the case haven't come out and will do so over the next few days.  Seriously, some of you guys really need to get a life if all you do is eat, sleep, and breathe your political passions to the neglect of everything else.

Just my $.02

Ill Ind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies