If Jindal clinches it, who could/should be his veep in '12?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:41:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Jindal clinches it, who could/should be his veep in '12?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Jindal clinches it, who could/should be his veep in '12?  (Read 3138 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:40:53 AM »

I like the idea of Jindal/Huckabee ticket to show that the GOP is truly moving in different directions.  Huckabee is more of an economic populist, but Jindal's wonkish bureaucratic presence will temper any proposals for FairTax.  However, they would both lack foreign policy credentials.

(Best case scenario for Jindal- he does a good job in LA, passes ethics reforms, keeps himself out of trouble unlike Palin, and slowly moves towards the center as far as his social stances are concerned.)

Are there any good Republican senators out there who may be retiring in 2012?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:58:21 AM »

I think if Obama were white, a Jindal/Huckabee ticket could pull 15-20% of blacks.

But I think Thune would be a good running mate. Pence would be also.
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »

I think Jindal/Pence would be an awesome ticket, the best for the republicans since Reagan/Bush.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »

I think Jindal/Pence would be an awesome ticket, the best for the republicans since Reagan/Bush.

I wholeheartedly agree. I could never dream of voting for that ticket but I think it is one that could be quite succesful.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »

My 3 favorite options:

Jindal/Pence
Jindal/Thune
Jindal/Huckabee

I'd vote for all 3 tickets when I first vote in 2012.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2008, 04:04:31 PM by paul718 »

Someone with foreign policy credentials, since Jindal in '12 = Obama in '08, IMO.   Chuck Hagel would be good if he isn't still sore at the Party, or isn't Obama's SecDef.  Maybe Johnny Isakson?
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

Someone with foreign policy credentials, since Jindal in '12 = Obama in '08, IMO.   Chuck Hagel would be good if he isn't still sore at the Party, or isn't Obama's SecDef.  Maybe Johnny Isakson?

I'd actually like Isakson, he is a good Senator (I should know, he is my state's Junior Senator)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

If Governor Jindal does manage to win the Republican Nomination in 2012, I would expect that he would go with somebody along the lines of Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana or Senator John Thune of South Dakota as his running mate.

Whilst I could imagine that such a Republican ticket in 2012 would excite the conservative base, it wouldn't excite anyone else. Thus, I find that if such a ticket were to be nominated in 2012, Barack Obama might as well keep the keys for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

I think he would probably do what Bush and Obama did and pick an elder statesman type.

In which case, how about Lamar Alexander?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »

I think he would probably do what Bush and Obama did and pick an elder statesman type.

I don't think he's that interested.
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »

I'd like to see him go the Bill Clinton route and pick another young, experienced, attractive candidate, such as Pence and to a lesser extent Thune.

Jindal has a very good resume, he is not a lightweight, and he has served in Congress.  I don't see the need for him to go the elder statesman route.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »

Jindal will only be 41 in 2012, fyi.  No need to break age records here.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »

If Governor Jindal does manage to win the Republican Nomination in 2012, I would expect that he would go with somebody along the lines of Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana or Senator John Thune of South Dakota as his running mate.

Whilst I could imagine that such a Republican ticket in 2012 would excite the conservative base, it wouldn't excite anyone else. Thus, I find that if such a ticket were to be nominated in 2012, Barack Obama might as well keep the keys for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

that's exactly what i'm thinking. it's not jindal's time yet
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »

If Jindal wants to have any chance to win in 2012, he needs to choose a moderate VP.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

If Jindal wants to have any chance to win in 2012, he needs to choose a moderate VP.

like how the #1 most Liberal senator chose the #3 most Liberal senator as his VP?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »

like how the #1 most Liberal senator chose the #3 most Liberal senator as his VP?

Wasn't he the most liberal according to a conservative website? Wasn't Kerry the most liberal in '04?

I'm so tired of hearing how Obama is the MOST liberal, when there are at least 10 senators more liberal than him. Obama is not the most liberal member of the senate, he never was.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »

Wasn't he the most liberal according to a conservative website? Wasn't Kerry the most liberal in '04?

I'm so tired of hearing how Obama is the MOST liberal, when there are at least 10 senators more liberal than him. Obama is not the most liberal member of the senate, he never was.

I'm getting those rankings from the National Journal  which I thought to be fairly non-partisan.  Although I could be wrong (I don't read the National Journal).  Regardless, the only time he bucked the liberal elements of his party was on the FISA bill, which I viewed as typical of the "run-to-the-center" general election strategy. 

He is pro-choice, pro-affirmative action (to a degree), pro-union.  He wants to raise the corporate tax, raise the capital gains tax, raise the social security tax, and raise the top marginal rates.  He wants to send a check to the 40% of the population who don't pay any income tax.  He is a protectionist, has talked of pulling out of NAFTA, and is opposed to a free trade agreement with Colombia.  He is pro-embryonic stem-cell research, and pro-gun control.

If he's not the most liberal senator in Congress, how about this... If elected, he would be the most liberal President we've ever had.  Fair?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »

I'm getting those rankings from the National Journal  which I thought to be fairly non-partisan.  Although I could be wrong (I don't read the National Journal).

National Journal is non-partisan, but their methodology on this is fairly questionable.  They score key votes as being liberal or conservative, and then just take the average over the year on any votes that the senator made.  But of course, if you're running for president, then you're likely to miss a huge number of votes, and the ones you're going to fly back to Washington for are going to be close, nearly party-line votes where a Democrat is most likely to take the liberal position and a Republican the conservative position.  That's why Obama's score was so liberal this time, and Kerry's was so liberal in 2004.

In 2006, the year before Obama started running for president, I think National Journal had him as the 10th or so most liberal senator.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »

Palin. That way they would lose and Obama could win again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:08 AM »

Ugh
Not a huge fan of Jindal. I thought the only way I could vote Obama would be if Huckabee was the nominee, but being the VP with Jindal isn't too hot either.
He obviously needs someone much older and experienced. Probably white, as well as moderate.
I present to you...SUSAN COLLINS! Wink Snowe would work too!
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:58 AM »

Jindal would need someone less socially conservative to have a shot.

Thune and Huckabee would turn away some Republicans and libertarians. Jindal is enough to keep the socon vote, so why appeal to them with the VP pick?

I'd probably go with either Hutchinson, Ensign, or Huntsman (resigns, obviously).

The idea of a non "run of the mill" socon with one of these just sounds too intriguing to me. I'd draw a big question mark on a map. Hutchinson would obviously not run for president, if Jindal got his two terms.

I wouldn't put in a Maine senator, because that would anger ficons and socons.

McCain's opportunity of becoming POTUS or VP passed. His opponents only need to declare him senile and on his last leg, despite the fact that he isn't. Sad thing is, if people remember him later, it would be as a presidential election loser rather than as a senator that has done a lot for the US.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies