This is interesting: NY Times endorsements since 1860 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:44:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  This is interesting: NY Times endorsements since 1860 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is interesting: NY Times endorsements since 1860  (Read 7589 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: November 30, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »

I'll put it this way: the NYT's choice and my choice for President really don't coincide at all after about the 1890s.

Some examples:
1. They endorsed Woodrow Wilson twice. And wanted Teddy Roosevelt in third in 1912! That's insane. (I would have gone Taft-Roosevelt-Wilson... actually, Roosevelt-Taft-Wilson, given that the NYT seems to have it in for good ol TR. Either Taft or Roosevelt would have been better by light-years).
2. Their 1924 endorsement of John Davis is just sad. Progressives had a much better choice in LaFollette in my opinion, while conservatives kept cool with Coolidge. The NYT seems to have been "old school Democrat" at this point and time, even to the point of never endorsing Bryan. Good, I guess (I don't like Bryan, I think he's partially responsible for both the modern-day progressive left AND the religious right...).
3. They endorsed every Democrat since 1960 (the only Republicans from 1920-60 were Willkie, Dewey, and Eisenhower - all moderates, one from New York (Dewey), another wildly popular, and a third running against a 'cheater' who ran for a third term). Hell, every time they endorsed a Republican 1884-1920, it was when the Democrat was Bryan. They only endorsed one third party candidate (in 1896, against Bryan) - when there were obvious occasions to do so (such as 1972 when both candidates sucked - or 1980 which was a real third party bonanza... or 2008). They endorsed McGovern and Mondale....
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies