Gallup's track record (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:33:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Gallup's track record (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup's track record  (Read 27885 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: September 17, 2004, 01:28:48 AM »

Well, I don't remember what day the story broke, but Bush did go from a 5 point lead on Nov. 2-4 to a 2 point lead on Nov. 5-6. As The Vorlon would tell you though, that might just be random noise....and even if it did indicate a true tightening, it's hard to say for sure that it was the DUI story.

I am inclined to believe the DUI story did make a little difference though, since Bush's campaign was so heavily based on the idea that he was more moral than Gore and would do a better job restoring honor and dignity and morality to the Oval Office. Since he ran so much on his character, anything that damaged his character had the potential to hurt him a bit.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 01:40:44 AM »

Was the DUI story false?

I agree that it shouldn't have mattered in people's votes...but was it untrue?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 01:49:48 AM »

I agree, it shouldn't have mattered. But you could say the same thing about the Swift Boat stuff.

Face it, both sides do it. I agree that we should talk about the issues and not all of this extraneous BS, but that's politics unfortunately, and it's naive to say that one side is worse than the other.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 02:19:35 AM »

Bush was asked if he had a DWI arrest in the '70s. He said no. Releasing the DWI arrest information at whatever time they felt like was completely fair game. Bush was attacking Gore for his positions on the issues in 1974. Of course a DWI by the older Bush in 1976 was relevant.
A couple of things. #1 Why was this issue (DWI) not settled in 2000 if you still have problems with it and why are we re-hashing it all now? #2 What was Bush attacking Gore for in 1974? I think most people would disagree that a DWI by GWB in 1976 is not relevant as to whether he is capable of performing as president.

As I said, I agree it's not relevant. Also, Ford was the one who brought it up, saying that's why Bush's numbers dropped in 2000. I haven't heard anyone else talk about it this year in the media.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies