I took a life tonight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I took a life tonight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I took a life tonight  (Read 2872 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »

Aw, man, I'm sorry.  It was an honest mistake, but I can imagine that feels pretty miserable.  I wish I had something more sage to say, but there's not really.  Life goes on, and you shouldn't beat yourself up over this. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »

if it makes you feel any better, I stabbed an endangered species with a bowie knife once.

What species?

Sorry to hear that Mike.  But if I ever run against you (in a primary of course), I'm totally brining that up.  Then you bring up that my great grandfather was an illegal, and we're all even.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:21 PM »

if it makes you feel any better, I stabbed an endangered species with a bowie knife once.

What species?

Sorry to hear that Mike.  But if I ever run against you (in a primary of course), I'm totally brining that up.  Then you bring up that my great grandfather was an illegal, and we're all even.
some kind of fish... the name of the species eludes me at the moment. My dad caught it and it was about to get out of the boat, so -stab-.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »

What species?

some kind of fish... the name of the species eludes me at the moment. My dad caught it and it was about to get out of the boat, so -stab-.

Oh, but nothing cuddly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »

What species?

Somehow, I doubt that "your great-grandfather was an illegal" would have the same punch that "you kill kittens" would have. Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2008, 10:10:26 AM by Eraserhead »

Don't beat yourself up.

It's the type of mistake everyone makes in our lifetime. 

Most people's mistakes are 99.9999999% worse though.  This is tragic, but you can learn from it and be more careful when baby animals around.  A real mistake is not talking to your best  friend enough before he commits suicide or something like that, this is pretty minor-league (although I'm sure it feels bad).

Not a big deal, it's a minor thing.

I wouldn't call this a "minor thing" at all.

You think it's a big thing?

What does that make the rest of the mistakes we make, which result from poor decisions and have actual consequences?  Astronomical?

Will we just refer to every mistake we make as "big" and "astronomical" from here on out?

There aren't "actual consequences" from accidently killing a domesticated sentient being? I'd say the consequences are pretty big, especially for the cat itself. Obviously we have a very different view of the importance of animal life, Lunar. I guess growing up around them all my life has impacted my thinking here.

By the way, I'm not trying to beat up on Naso. I understand it was an accident and I'm sure he feels like crap. The way that some people on here treat this like a joke and/or a completely meaningless thing disturbs me though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

There aren't "actual consequences" from accidently killing a domesticated sentient being?

Cats aren't sentient.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »

There aren't "actual consequences" from accidently killing a domesticated sentient being?

Cats aren't sentient.

Cats don't have the abilty to feel pain? News to me, brittain.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

Cats aren't sentient.

I understand "sentience" to mean a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, not feeling pain. It's a definition humans came up with to set ourselves apart from everything else, with the exception of some chimps and possibly parrots who try to slip through by learning a language, or an elephant that notes a chalk stripe on its head when looking in a mirror.

Where did you get the definition of sentience as "capable of feeling pain"?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2008, 10:35:08 AM by Eraserhead »

Cats aren't sentient.

I understand "sentience" to mean a sense of consciousness and self-awareness, not feeling pain. It's a definition humans came up with to set ourselves apart from everything else, with the exception of some chimps and possibly parrots who try to slip through by learning a language, or an elephant that notes a chalk stripe on its head when looking in a mirror.

It's part of what I've always taken it to mean but from reading up on it I guess there is a big debate over it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentience

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »

What species?

Somehow, I doubt that "your great-grandfather was an illegal" would have the same punch that "you kill kittens" would have. Wink

Even I would vote for the kitten killer in that situation!  Tongue
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »

It's part of what I've always taken it to mean but from reading up on it I guess there is a big debate over it...

It looks as if your usage is closer to the accepted mean than mine is, assuming that you didn't edit that page just before you posted the link.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »

It looks as if your usage is closer to the accepted mean than mine is, assuming that you didn't edit that page just before you posted the link.

Nah, dude. I'm actually trying to write a report on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at the moment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »

Cats aren't sentient.

Humans - human scientists and human town dwellers divorced from all reality, mostly - have been vainly trying to find some sort of definition that set them clearly off from other animals ever since the days of Aristotle (if not the Torah and beyond, but the tradition the above argument is mired in doesnt consciously hark back further than Aristotle). Problem is that none of these definitions have ever been workable. A human is an animal much like any other. Period.
(Although "feeling pain" is going back way too far. Plants and amoebas presumably do that, so if that#s a definition of "sentient" then the concept is meaningless. Anyways it's not what Eraserhead meant.)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

I'm watching "Pet Semetary" right now. Awkward.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies