RNC's attempt at Symbolism ad vs. Obama's *two minute* ad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:44:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  RNC's attempt at Symbolism ad vs. Obama's *two minute* ad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Two new ones out today, what do you think?
RNC

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: RNC's attempt at Symbolism ad vs. Obama's *two minute* ad  (Read 1032 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »

Obama:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1185304443/bctid1877515604

RNC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46f0Hav3sM&eurl

/Lunar gives it to the RNC
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »

Obama's ad is too long.  The RNC's ad is too abstract.

Neither.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Obama's ad is too long.  The RNC's ad is too abstract.

Neither.

Agreed.

Oh, and Captain Ahab '08.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »

I think this GOP ad is more akin to Obama's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJY1O2MKEOA

It is a two minute ad with Fred Thompson looking presidential laying out the case for McCain. Doesn't mention Obama by name.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »

If you turn the sound off from the "storm" ad you'd almost think it was a sequel to Mike Gravel's Classic/Genius "Rock" ad.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2008, 04:44:36 PM by Likely Voter »

what exactly is the message of the storm ad?

'you think we screwed things up, sure, but wait to you see how bad the kid will make it'
humder
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »

People care more about policy that symbolism, so Obama's.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

People care more about policy that symbolism,

I'm not sure if that's true.

If you look at the most successful ads in American politics, they've been symbolic ones.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »

I think this GOP ad is more akin to Obama's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJY1O2MKEOA

It is a two minute ad with Fred Thompson looking presidential laying out the case for McCain. Doesn't mention Obama by name.

Reminds me of the old EG Marshall ad for HHH.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »

"Storm" - Too stale and downbeat.  The analogy doesn't flow very well, and it doesn't really arouse emotions to action.  It's respectable and on-message, but that's it.  C-

"Plan" - This is a closer ad.  Nasty little (obvious) secret:  Voters buy attacks, but they generally like to convince themselves (esp. swingers) that theirs is a positive vote.  As a closer ad, it's fine, it's standard.  It's essentially the closing line in a debate.  Not his best, not his worst, totally utilitarian, but suffers from being a little un-memorable.  Only reason this isn't a C or below is because I think this is the right advertisement strategy, at least in part.  C+
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 05:09:02 AM »

"Storm" - Too stale and downbeat.  The analogy doesn't flow very well, and it doesn't really arouse emotions to action.  It's respectable and on-message, but that's it.  C-

"Plan" - This is a closer ad.  Nasty little (obvious) secret:  Voters buy attacks, but they generally like to convince themselves (esp. swingers) that theirs is a positive vote.  As a closer ad, it's fine, it's standard.  It's essentially the closing line in a debate.  Not his best, not his worst, totally utilitarian, but suffers from being a little un-memorable.  Only reason this isn't a C or below is because I think this is the right advertisement strategy, at least in part.  C+

One point you are missing - one of Obama's constant criticisms is him "not having a plan" -- whatever that means.  Releasing long, boring, policy-oriented ads could help him convince the electorate that he is more substantive than rhetorical.

That's the #1 value of the ad in my humble opinyon.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »

The storm ad is desperately trying to copy the wolves ad of 2004.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 12:25:17 PM »

One point you are missing - one of Obama's constant criticisms is him "not having a plan" -- whatever that means.  Releasing long, boring, policy-oriented ads could help him convince the electorate that he is more substantive than rhetorical.

I wasn't meaning to miss that.  In this case, his "closer" is "I have substance, I'm calm," and that's the positive meaning for voting for him I was implying.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »

Very well put.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies