Palin and the fruit fly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Palin and the fruit fly
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Palin and the fruit fly  (Read 6608 times)
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dumbass.

http://biochemicalsoul.com/2008/10/sarah-palin-a-blithering-idiot-that-could-destroy-science-and-medicine/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:04:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bimbo
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:14:49 AM »

Unbelievable.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:20:42 AM »

Palins brain is about the size of a fruit fly.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »

At a campaign event in Beaverton, OR, Obama claimed to have visited 57 U.S. states during the campaign.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »

At a campaign event in Beaverton, OR, Obama claimed to have visited 57 U.S. states during the campaign.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

And John McCain called Vladimir Putin the "President of Germany" once. No big deal, since both men probably just misspoke.

But Sarah Palin seems to lack basic understanding of science. Not only that, she's also mocking science and thinks that it's funny.

I don't believe that Barack Obama actually thinks that the U.S. has 57 states or that John McCain thinks that Putin was/is the President of Germany. But Palin didn't misspeak. She probably meant what she was saying and would do it again.

That's the real tragedy.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »

I'd vote against spending my tax dollars on fruit fly research.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »

Do you live in a fruit-growing area? Fruitfly can absolutely destroy an industry. The economies of Florida and California would be on the edge...

oh wait.

Well, they'd be over the edge.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 12:00:48 PM by sbane »

Umm fruit fly's are used to do genetic research, and in this case actually helped produce an enzyme that could help kids with autism . Yet Palin mocks this because she has no fukcing idea what she is talking about. I just absolutely hate this anti-intellectual schtick that she is doing. "Omgz fruit fly reasearch omgz i have no idea what I am talking about but omgz"
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »

Do you realize that a huge amount of the research into the human genome is only thanks to the fruit fly? Without research into the fruit fly's (or other similar critter to do research on) DNA we'd know at most a third of what we currently do about our own DNA.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »

Not surprising. The modern GOP, which Palin seems to embody, is vehemently anti-science.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »

Probably for the first time in my life, I wish I were an US citizen, just so I could vote against this stupid bitch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosophila
But be cautious - as your intelligence level seems to be similar to Palin's, it might overstrain you.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »

People are getting a little emotional about Palin's ignorance about fruit flies.  It was used as an example of wasteful spending.  She/McCain would obviously not cut this.  It does not show some anti-intellectualism on her part, but rather for her audience.  

In 2009 Palin's office requested $2 million in federal monies to study crab mating habits; $494,900 for the recreational halibut harvest and $3.2 million for seal genetics research.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

Blithering idiot is the correct term here.  She is using tax funded scientific research that could one day help children like her newborn to score points with the anti-sciences out there.

The pure ignorance is astounding. 

I can't wait to watch John McCain and Sarah Palin lose on election day... it will be a truly great day for human progress.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »

As disappointed as I am that Palin didn't know enough not to pass this on, I imagine this was researcher error, not hers.

Still pretty embarrassing.

If Palin doesn't know about fruit fly science research as it pertains to benefiting humans (their generations are just so conveniently short), then she needs to get out more.

Have we had a poll here about whether one thinks Palin is competent to be president?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

If Palin doesn't know about fruit fly science research as it pertains to benefiting humans (their generations are just so conveniently short), then she needs to get out more.

Have we had a poll here about whether one thinks Palin is competent to be president?

Sigh, you're right.  Maybe she just skips straight through the boring Science section in the ADN.  (And, after today, the Opinion section, too)

I don't think we've had one in a while.  Certainly not competent to be the kind of president I want.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »

Sigh, you're right.  Maybe she just skips straight through the boring Science section in the ADN.  (And, after today, the Opinion section, too)

I don't think we've had one in a while.  Certainly not competent to be the kind of president I want.

Well, its not as if her dad is a biology teacher... oh wait Sad
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

Well, its not as if her dad is a biology teacher... oh wait Sad

I think this is the most surprising part about this. Considering this and her view on creationism, it seems as if the apple fell far from the tree. Or she hates her dad or something....
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »

I used to be able to support Republicans (and still support Schwarzenegger). I have many Libertarian views. But it is this kind of anti-science, anti-reason populism, feuled by some kind of theocracy, that has really turned me away.

In the last few weeks we have seen many conservative intellectuals starting to chastize the party and Palin in particular. The GOP is headed for a bit of a rethink. I hope that the rational, small gov, libertarian wing ends up on top. But I fear that they will embrace the Palin wing and double down on dumb.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »

There is no better public investment than scientific/technological research. It's absolutely essential to keeping this country on top.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

They don't compare.  Obama slipped up.  Palin's statement, which was probably canned anyway, shows that she has no understanding, and lacks the curiosity to find out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

They don't compare.  Obama slipped up.  Palin's statement, which was probably canned anyway, shows that she has no understanding, and lacks the curiosity to find out.
Well either that, or is cynically pretending to have no understanding, or a mix of the two.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Well either that, or is cynically pretending to have no understanding, or a mix of the two.

So either she is a dumbass and the base love that, or she is lowering herself to that level to appeal to the dumbasses in "The Base", either way you have to ask if this is really what we ought to be doing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »

Are there still people who honestly believe this woman is intelligent?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

Are there still people who honestly believe this woman is intelligent?

This has been used in several campaigns. Toomey used this against Specter. Do you really want to say that Pat Toomey isn't intelligent?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies