Criminal Presidents? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:09:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Criminal Presidents? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Criminal Presidents?  (Read 6810 times)
Bugs

« on: September 18, 2004, 09:43:10 AM »

I voted none of the above.  In considering presidents throughout history there are many who I have differences with, some over major issues.  But each have made positive contributions to our nation's growth, even, I must admit, Jackson.  Nixon comes closest to being criminal, but I would stop short of applying that term.  And while he was guilty of possible criminal acts at Watergate, his appointment of Ford was entirely constitutional and, he probably had in mind a desire to find the man best qualified to be president, with the good of the nation in mind, since by then he likely knew he would probably be impeached.  
Bugs

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 09:09:48 AM »

James Buchanan. he put up the biggest stint about politcal corruption, yet he himself was invloved in such coruptioon as:

1. Giving a Philidalphia shipping company a government contract so that they would donate money to one of Buchanan's friends reelection to Congress.

2. Attempting to emebezel the $25 million that Congress approrpiated to Buchanan's Administration to buy Cuba.

3. Brought in over 300 illigal immigrants to be illegaly naturalized so they could vote for Democratic Candidates in the 1858 Congressional Elections.

And the list goes on...

Many people think that Buchanan backed out of the 1860 race because he didn't like the looks of the future of the slavery conflict, and that is probably true.  But there is also the likelihood that he was afraid of being found out on some of these issues.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies