Which television network will you watch on Election night (November 4th)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:24:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which television network will you watch on Election night (November 4th)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which network will you watch on Election night (November 4th)?
MSNBC

Fox News Channel

CNN

ABC

NBC

CBS

FOX

PBS

Headline News

C-Span

Bloomberg News

CNBC

FBN

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Which television network will you watch on Election night (November 4th)?  (Read 2184 times)
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »

Sorry, G"First Dude"M3.  We needed this to be a poll :-D.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »

You should have made it so that you could vote for more than one since I'll certainly be checking plenty of them.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »

I'll do what I've been doing for this entire election - primarily watch MSNBC, but occasionally flip to CNN or FOX or C-SPAN for the hell of it.

Does anyone watch ABC or CBS? They don't seem too popular
tokar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »

You should have made it so that you could vote for more than one since I'll certainly be checking plenty of them.

Meh, lets just leave it at the network you will watch most.  I expect to change channels as well, but I will be mostly paying attention to MSNBC.
tokar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »

I'll do what I've been doing for this entire election - primarily watch MSNBC, but occasionally flip to CNN or FOX or C-SPAN for the hell of it.

Does anyone watch ABC or CBS? They don't seem too popular

I guess we will see...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »

Which ever channel doesn't bore me to death.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

Mostly NBC with ABC, CNN & MSNBC thrown in for good measure.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »

Initially Fox News Channel.  I may flip around a bit, but mostly Fox till 8pm central.  I think PBS starts its 180-minute "Newshour Election Night Coverage" show at that time.  I'll stay with Jim's show from 8 till it goes off at 11.  Afterward, I'll go back and forth between Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.  They're all scheduled for 360-minute shows beginning at 7pm central.  What it's on when I end up falling asleep will largely depend on who the talking heads are, what races they're covering, whether there are any surprises, and whether the "Total Drama Island" re-run is any good.

Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »

Fox News.

If I want to see what CNN is up to I just have to go to The Living Room.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

Sorry, G"First Dude"M3.  We needed this to be a poll :-D.

That's why I didnt do a poll tokar.......plus I'm too lazy.  Tongue

Welcome btw.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »

CNN with some internet
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

I don't even know whether I'll stay up that late (damn time zone difference), but I'd go for CNN International which will adopt the coverage from the American CNN anyway.

Most major German TV stations seem to have live coverage of the U.S. elections that night as well, but they often suck very bad. Since not every German is an expert of the U.S. political system, they often get stuck explaining the most basic basics (no, the president is not elected directly, but by an Electoral College, this means that...). I'll expect every station to be biased in favour of Obama, but that doesn't bother me that much. However, it might be interesting to take a look at the N24 coverage. Since this station is usually broadcasting all those documentaries infotainment stuff about life on aircraft carriers and the history of stealth bombers it seems to be a pro-U.S. military channel... or at least pro-military in general. (And when it's not guns, it's sex or lifestyle or sex and lifestyle combined. So it's not the most highbrow kind of TV either.)
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

I don't even know whether I'll stay up that late (damn time zone difference), but I'd go for CNN International which will adopt the coverage from the American CNN anyway.

Most major German TV stations seem to have live coverage of the U.S. elections that night as well, but they often suck very bad. Since not every German is an expert of the U.S. political system, they often get stuck explaining the most basic basics (no, the president is not elected directly, but by an Electoral College, this means that...). I'll expect every station to be biased in favour of Obama, but that doesn't bother me that much. However, it might be interesting to take a look at the N24 coverage. Since this station is usually broadcasting all those documentaries infotainment stuff about life on aircraft carriers and the history of stealth bombers it seems to be a pro-U.S. military channel... or at least pro-military in general. (And when it's not guns, it's sex or lifestyle or sex and lifestyle combined. So it's not the most highbrow kind of TV either.)

How come it wouldn't bother you? Bias for anyone usually bugs me.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »

CNN I guess.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 04:39:08 PM »

I also think i will check out FOX every once in a while, just to see how they are reacting. I still remember watching James Carville hide his head in a trash can on CNN in 2002 during the midterms
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

How come it wouldn't bother you? Bias for anyone usually bugs me.

Dunno.

Combination of "I don't watch it anyway" and "I want to see Obama win just as much". Why should I care about news coverage which is biased towards "my" candidate and that I don't even bother to watch?

Besides, that's just the way it is. In my country, Barack Obama is probably supported by all SPD, Green, and Left voters, most of the FDP voters and at least half of the CDU voters (and that's a pretty conservative estimate). Wouldn't the coverage be biased in favour of Obama, nobody would watch it. "Neutral" coverage as an American understands it, would probably be considered "unfairly" tilted towards the Republicans. Besides, there are far far worse things happening on German television (I'm not talking about politics now).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure one of Washington's nipples is showing in your signature.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »

I also think i will check out FOX every once in a while, just to see how they are reacting. I still remember watching James Carville hide his head in a trash can on CNN in 2002 during the midterms

Yeah, Carville was brilliant in '92, but his points of view after that were absurd. He really creamed Dean over the 50-state strategy, which looks like pure genius in the wake of 2006 and now 2008.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »

I'll probably stay on CNN HD, because I don't want to miss any of the talk.  I'll have several web sites up, and probably two laptops.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »

MSNBC all the way. I'll be looking at CNN's website at the same time though.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »

MSNBC probably. With surfing the internet here and there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 10:06:09 PM »

Fox of course. That is where the ambivalence will be, rather than the projection of orgasmic joy. But I flip around. CNN has better graphics. MSNBC has Chris and Keith to hate and/or laugh at.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

Fox of course. That is where the ambivalence will be, rather than the projection of orgasmic joy. But I flip around. CNN has better graphics. MSNBC has Chris and Keith to hate and/or laugh at.
I've always enjoyed MSNBC's graphics more. The "CNN Projection" intro always irritates me with it's music.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies