Self defense from a Policeman.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:52:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Self defense from a Policeman.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Self defense from a Policeman.  (Read 4040 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:20:45 AM »
« edited: October 28, 2008, 01:22:36 AM by Jacobtm »

Say a policeman is overstepping his bounds, using excessive force with his club to subdue someone who is guilty of no crime.

Suppose this person has a firearm and shoots the police officer.

Is there a different standard for self defense here? If someone decided to start beating me with a club in public for no good reason, I assume that shooting them with a legal weapon would be an acceptable form of self-defense. But if its an officer, is one legally bound to take it?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:32:43 AM »

It depends, is there a camera around?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »

Technically, yes.  But in a court of law, the cop would probably win.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

Legally speaking, I would say yes.

However, given that you'd be a cop killer (even if you were justified in doing so) you had better damn well hope that the responsibility for investigating the affair is the FBI or some sort of internal affairs from another department. You also better damn well hope that there's overwhelming evidence in your favor. It wouldn't hurt to have a damn good lawyer as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:56 PM »

Yeah, sadly, 9 times out of 10, the abused victim that defended himself against a cop is going to hang.  At least historically.  Now that most cops are being surrounded by camera's more and more everyday (nearly all cop cars have camera's and we're just starting to put them on the cops themselves) it is starting to balance the power out a little bit.  Camera's don't (tend to) lie, they might not give the whole truth 100% of the time, but they don't (tend to) lie.

(yes yes, cops can and do turn them off)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »

If you do shoot a p*g, better destroy the camera if possible (perhaps by means of fire), and also kill any other witnesses that might exist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »

If you do shoot a p*g, better destroy the camera if possible (perhaps by means of fire), and also kill any other witnesses that might exist.
errrr, if it's "in defense" you might want to keep those things around.  no?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:42:43 AM »

errrr, if it's "in defense" you might want to keep those things around.  no?

Naturally. If anything, you should guard the camera with your life. It's generally assumed that the Police are right & you are wrong. Your only hope of getting off is to have the whole incident on video tape.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 02:50:22 AM »

Yeah, and make copies if you have the chance.  Hell just run straight to a lawyer with it right away, then the local news, then CNN, then the BBC just to be safe.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »

If such a scenario were to occur carry a  less than lethal weapon of some kind. Then, if it's necessary to defend yourself, you would hopefully stop the attack without killing anyone.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »

If such a scenario were to occur carry a  less than lethal weapon of some kind.

So, if such a thing happens to you go back in time and get a less than lethal weapon? *scratches head*
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2008, 11:50:20 AM by Morning Star »

If such a scenario were to occur carry a  less than lethal weapon of some kind.

So, if such a thing happens to you go back in time and get a less than lethal weapon? *scratches head*

"Less than lethal" refers to weapons such as mace or tasers. If I called them non-lethal that would misleading because they both can be deadly on occasion. Compared to a gun, which is more likely to kill or cause seriously injury. I'd use mace before other methods to stop an attack, from a police office or anyone else.

EDIT: I thought you were confused by something else. hahaha. I just woke up. Forgive me.

I don't believe you can go back in time and carry a gun if you didn't have one begin with, either. If you use your fists, I don't see that you'll be winning the battle.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »

Say a policeman is overstepping his bounds, using excessive force with his club to subdue someone who is guilty of no crime.

Suppose this person has a firearm and shoots the police officer.

Is there a different standard for self defense here? If someone decided to start beating me with a club in public for no good reason, I assume that shooting them with a legal weapon would be an acceptable form of self-defense. But if its an officer, is one legally bound to take it?

First off Police officers are supposed to uphold the law in and out of uniform.

Yes, you will be legally bound to take it.  You would lose if you shot and killed the officer in court of law.
The best thing to do in that situation is... like I said obey and if assaulted, let it play out in the court of law.
That's why you have rights and lawyers.

Iam not dismissing this as a stupid question, its actually a good one.  I could see a scenario where if lets say a Woman was about to be raped by a patrolman who pulled her over, and she killed him. To which the judge would rule in her favor.  BUT the evidence better be pretty damn good.

In the case of a officer ruffling somebody up, it would be foolish to use deadly force in the name of self -defense.

I don't think a case like this has came up in a self defense friendly state yet?
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »

What about a different situation.

It's late at night, you (a homeowner) are asleep, you are awoken by the sound of someone noisily entering your house. You check and your whole family is asleep, and you shoot the intruder.

It was a police officer.

Any difference there?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »

I don't see you getting off in that case either.

You shoot a REAL cop in uniform and you are pretty much cooked.  Hell shooting a off duty cop and you are pretty much finished.

Like I said it best to use the none deadly force or avoid the situation to start with.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »

Well the human does have self defence on his side since it was. But since the policeman is working for the gov it would be assumed that he would have no reason to beat the man up.
Also keep in mind that things like this has happened and sometimes the cops are the ones that turn out guilty. Lastly it depends on who is the judge for the case. It makes a huge difference.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies