R2K, CA-04: Brown +6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:10:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  R2K, CA-04: Brown +6
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: R2K, CA-04: Brown +6  (Read 5027 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »

Flat out, I wouldn't vote for someone who moved to my district from halfway across the state for the sole reason of political opportunism.  I have a feeling there are a lot of voters in CA-04 who feel the same as I do.

McClintock still lives in SoCal. There's no residency requirement (other than living in the same state) for House districts.

I was under the assumption that he had actually put through the effort to move.  That makes it about 10,000 times worse.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »

Silence, Moderate.  The talking points are that McClintock is the best candidate ever for this district, and if he loses it means the end of the Republican party forever.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »

Silence, Moderate.  The talking points are that McClintock is the best candidate ever for this district, and if he loses it means the end of the Republican party forever.

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying, totally.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »

Another guy I wont miss.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »

McClintock has run about one of the worst campaigns I've seen in quite a while.

What are the sad and sordid details on this?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »

McClintock has run about one of the worst campaigns I've seen in quite a while.

What are the sad and sordid details on this?

For example, it would help if he had run campaign advertising the last week of the campaign or so.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »

Well he ran out of money!  What's a guy supposed to do?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »

Well he ran out of money!  What's a guy supposed to do?

You raise another "bad campaign" hallmark.  The best comparison I can think of lies in auto racing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »

None of the Democrats running in traditionally Republican districts in suburban Chicago lives there, either.  Legal, yet repugnant.

Where do Halvorson, Foster, and Bean live?

Or is this the Tammy Duckworth living in the wrong town thing?
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »

Flat out, I wouldn't vote for someone who moved to my district from halfway across the state for the sole reason of political opportunism.  I have a feeling there are a lot of voters in CA-04 who feel the same as I do.

McClintock still lives in SoCal. There's no residency requirement (other than living in the same state) for House districts.

He moved his family up to Sacramento (Elk Grove, I believe) while in the state legislature.  I believe he listed his mother's house in Ventura County as his official address.

So of course he got attacked for being a carpetbagger from L.A. who took per diem money he didn't deserve because he lived in Sacramento. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »

He moved his family up to Sacramento (Elk Grove, I believe) while in the state legislature.  I believe he listed his mother's house in Ventura County as his official address.

So of course he got attacked for being a carpetbagger from L.A. who took per diem money he didn't deserve because he lived in Sacramento. Smiley
Now, unlike running in a district one doesn't live in - but like "moving" to a district in order to be able to claim to live in it  - this actually is
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »

I'm skeptical that the carpet-bagging charge is that effective, we don't really have an identity in this district.  We might be anti-SF or anti-LA (attack ads do pretend that McClintock is from LA), but it's not like the sort of antagonism you'd see in other areas.  I mean, people living in generic exburbs are whom we're talking about here.

What it DOES do is help drive the narrative of McClintock being a pseudo-scummy, do-anything, career politician. This narrative isn't powerful since Brown only really talks about being a veteran 24/7.

I think it was the extremely tough primary race against Ose (who also used the carpetbagging charge) that ruined McClintock by draining him completely of funds.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies