Beginning sentences with 'And' or 'But'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:48:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Beginning sentences with 'And' or 'But'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does this practice bother you? Were you ever taught that it was incorrect?
Yes / Yes

Yes / No

No / Yes

No / No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Beginning sentences with 'And' or 'But'  (Read 2366 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:14 AM »

No / Yes. This is perhaps the most bizarre of all linguistic superstitions.

Charles Allen Lloyd's words are quotable:

##Next to the groundless notion that it is incorrect to end an English sentence with a preposition, perhaps the most wide-spread of the many false beliefs about the use of our language is the equally groundless notion that it is incorrect to begin one with 'but' or 'and.' As in the case of the superstition about the prepositional ending, no textbook supports it, but apparently about half of our teachers of English go out of their way to handicap their pupils by inculcating it. One cannot help wondering whether those who teach such a monstrous doctrine ever read any English themselves.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:37:25 AM »

'But' doesn't bother me, although 'and' sort of does. I was taught not to do either.

I voted no/yes, fwiw
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »

no/no....although I guess technically it should be no/yes because I was taught that it was always wrong by my mom, buy my....3rd? grade teacher said there could be exceptions.  I remember this because I brought it up first to my mother and then later, my teacher because it came up while I was reading something.  I think it was one of the Little House on the Prairie* books.

*I had 2 older sisters and no older brothers or cousins, my reading selection sucked until I was old enough to read my dad's stuff...and that was almost entirely trivia books and "church" style stuff...from the good (Lost Books of the Bible) to the ridiculous (tons of stuff on the always just around the corner rapture).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »

No/Yes

I do my best never to start a sentence with "and" or "but."  The sentences just sound better that way, though there are times where I do start the sentence with one of those words for dramatic impact.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:50:24 AM »

No/Yes

I'm a fascist when it comes to grammar. But I don't really care here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »

i don't do it in legal writing, but I see it done by literate authors, and it doesn't bother me, particularly beginning a sentence with an "and."
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »

#3.  Descriptivism>prescriptivism, yo.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »

No/Yes. Starting with "and" is a little wierd though - I normally go with "Also" instead if I need to start a sentence like that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »

No/Yes, I try not to do it but there are sometimes when I do.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »

Yes (somewhat)/No.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »

And why does this practice bother you? But were you never taught that it is not incorrect?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »

I was taught it's incorrect, and I try not to use it, but sometimes you kind of have to.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »

No/Yes.  Generally, I try to rework or combine sentences that begin with and/but.

Much more acceptable in the spoken word than in the written word.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:55:26 PM »

Let me be clear that this is not an archaic, obsolete rule. It is no rule at all. Or rather, it is a rule that has no basis in history or tradition; that is entirely illogical; and that no skilled writer (moderate or great) has ever adhered to.

If one's intent were to destroy the English language, it would make a lot of sense to spread this recommendation far and wide. But since that's presumably not your intent, I suggest dropping it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »

If one's intent were to destroy the English language, it would make a lot of sense to spread this recommendation far and wide. But since that's presumably not your intent, I suggest dropping it.

Okay, that's being a bit too hysterical.

Writing is an art, not unlike singing.  The goal is not just to construct a sentence, but to do so in an elegant, pleasing way.  I personally find that "and/but" is not the best way to start a sentence, but certainly, I would not impose it as a rule—those who enjoy the stylings of Pat Boone may not necessarily enjoy ABBA.

(Just for kicks, I looked up this subject in my copy of the Chicago 15th Manual of Style.  The entry is a quite editorial and features the quote that starts off this thread.)
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »

No/Yes

Like most people I was taught to not use those words to begin a sentence; exceptions were mentioned. But only for 'real' authors, apparently.

Their are certain expressions that can not really be affective, unless you begin a new sentence with one of these words. And, its good fun to break grammatical rules occasionally. Just between you and I. But I'd never do that in a formal essay.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »

The most obvious substitute for "but" would be "however." But the latter is best reserved for major turning points in an argument.

Consider the second sentence of this passage from Chief Justice Marshall's opinion in McCulloch v. Maryland, 17 U.S. 316, 400–401 (1819):

##No tribunal can approach such a question without a deep sense of its importance, and of the awful responsibility involved in its decision. But it must be decided peacefully, or remain a source of hostile legislation, perhaps, of hostility of a still more serious nature; and if it is to be so decided, by this tribunal alone can the decision be made.

Would you think either of the following an improvement?

##It must be decided peacefully, however, or remain a source of hostile legislation, perhaps, of hostility of a still more serious nature; and if it is to be so decided, by this tribunal alone can the decision be made.

It must, however, be decided peacefully, or remain a source of hostile legislation, perhaps, of hostility of a still more serious nature; and if it is to be so decided, by this tribunal alone can the decision be made.

[Original:] But it must be decided peacefully, or remain a source of hostile legislation, perhaps, of hostility of a still more serious nature; and if it is to be so decided, by this tribunal alone can the decision be made.

Each reader can judge for himself. But as for me, I'd much sooner pen this:

##But it must be decided peacefully, or remain a source of hostile legislation; perhaps, of hostility of a still more serious nature. And if it is to be so decided, by this tribunal alone can the decision be made.

As for "even so," it's far too conciliatory to be a solution to our (non-existent) problem. What, then, do you propose?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

And why does this practice bother you? But were you never taught that it is not incorrect?
'And' just sounds somewhat awkward, although I see and use 'But' in sentences all the time. As for education, I've only had one teacher that said that. However, I already learned ahead of time that was a myth.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »

No/Yes, I try not to do it but there are sometimes when I do.

Yeah, exactly Smiley

Rin-chan
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »

Occasionally in conversation.  Never in formal writing.  (Well...hardly ever.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies