AK-Rasmussen: Begich leads Sen. Stevens by 8 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  AK-Rasmussen: Begich leads Sen. Stevens by 8 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AK-Rasmussen: Begich leads Sen. Stevens by 8  (Read 3545 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »

Didn't Stevens just get convicted of a felony?  Is he even eligible to vote for himself?

He's on appeal, so I think he's still eligible. I'm also not sure if Alaska bars felons from voting; it's not a Southern state where removing the right from felons was once used as a racial wedge issue and then never abolished.

No, Alaska forbids convicted felons from voting.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:55:41 AM »

Didn't Stevens just get convicted of a felony?  Is he even eligible to vote for himself?

He's on appeal, so I think he's still eligible. I'm also not sure if Alaska bars felons from voting; it's not a Southern state where removing the right from felons was once used as a racial wedge issue and then never abolished.

No, Alaska forbids convicted felons from voting.

So then Stevens is not eligible to vote for himself?

Depending how Alaskan law treats appeals.  Also, I don't think bureaucracy can move can fast enough to forbid him.  If you commit a felony on November 3rd, pay bail, and vote on November 4th, I think your vote will count (but not sure).  He could have also voted absentee already.

It's not a crime for felons to TRY to vote, even if they are ineligible.  So Stevens has no obligation to not to try.  The felony thing probably most hurts voters registering or re-registering to vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies