Competition Starts for Obama's and Biden's seats. Jackson wants it bad.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:21:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Competition Starts for Obama's and Biden's seats. Jackson wants it bad.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Competition Starts for Obama's and Biden's seats. Jackson wants it bad.  (Read 2764 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »

Somehow, I suspect Blago will manage to make the worst pick possible.

Blago for Senate!

I'm so tempted to say, "Thanks for the pickup in 2010!" but I remember that I said the same thing once Menendez was appointed...

We'd certainly have a good chance against him or Jackson though.

Dude, it's Illinois. Winning elections is not something the Illinois GOP does.

I agree to an extent. Give me the usual midterm conditions and a Senator Blago or Jackson and we at least have a shot.

Blago could easily be primaried if he remains as bad as he is and Jackson is nothing like his father. And "usual midterm conditions" won't matter as much in Illinois with Obama as the President.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »

Somehow, I suspect Blago will manage to make the worst pick possible.
Blago for Senate!
I'm so tempted to say, "Thanks for the pickup in 2010!" but I remember that I said the same thing once Menendez was appointed...

We'd certainly have a good chance against him or Jackson though.
Dude, it's Illinois. Winning elections is not something the Illinois GOP does.
I agree to an extent. Give me the usual midterm conditions and a Senator Blago or Jackson and we at least have a shot.
Blago could easily be primaried if he remains as bad as he is and Jackson is nothing like his father. And "usual midterm conditions" won't matter as much in Illinois with Obama as the President.

Well, almost everyone mentioned as a fill-in for Obama should be moderately to heavily favored to win in 2010, some more so than others (cough Rahm cough).  Blago is facing a tight political situation at home and I wouldn't be surprised if he sent one of his rivals to D.C. just to save himself from a stronger primary challenge. 

IF Blago is making his decision on the basis of long-term seat-holding ability, which is a BIG 'if' which would come about from promises of party leaders to support Blago wholeheartedly in his primary challenges if he picks the right decision, then he won't choose Jackson.

What would  Jackson offer Blago anyway, politically?  It'd be a semi-controversial pick that would offer nothing except an African-American replacement who'll probably lose a term or two in.  I mean, from Blago's perspective, he can do one or more of the following things:
1) Appoint an African-American candidate
2) Appoint a non-controversial Asian female one-limbed veteran candidate
3) Appoint a political ally
4) Appoint a political enemy just to get rid of them
5) Appoint someone party leaders want so that they support him when times get tough.

Beau Biden has a neato name, so I hope he gets to replace Joe Biden in DE despite his Iraqi location.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »

That's probably not what people think and we know that what they think matters.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/jesse-jackson-jr.-hopes-to-replace-obama-in-senate-2008-10-26.html

Illinois political insiders say Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who defended Barack Obama after his father famously threatened to castrate him, is the favorite to replace the Democratic nominee in the Senate.

Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) scolded his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, publicly after his comments were caught unexpectedly on tape before an interview with Fox News this summer.

But Jackson Jr.’s path is by no means assured.
I would much prefer his father.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

Here's who I would pick: Dan Hynes. The runner-up to Obama in the primary in 2004. A 4-year late consolation prize, and a nice, easy safe pick.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »

Here's who I would pick: Dan Hynes. The runner-up to Obama in the primary in 2004. A 4-year late consolation prize, and a nice, easy safe pick.

Oh, yeah, I love Hynes, even though he's pretty boring.  As an added bonus, he's even younger than Obama.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 03:57:54 PM »

BSmith:

A source close to the SEIU says that the union -- a major Obama ally -- has begun quietly pushing for Valerie Jarrett, an Obama adviser, Daly ally, and power broker in her own right, to replace Obama in the Senate should he win tomorrow.

Others who would seek the seat if Obama wins are said to include Reps. Jan Schakowsky and Jesse Jackson Jr.

Obama's preference would, of course, be a major factor; but it's Blagojevich's call.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies