Reps and Dems: Which Third Party... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:51:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Reps and Dems: Which Third Party... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reps and Dems: Which Third Party...  (Read 14034 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: September 18, 2004, 05:12:38 PM »

This questions is for Republicans, Democrats, and Independents(so if you are in a third party, please don't answer).

Which third party out of all the current third parties has the best chance, even if it is a slim chance, of becoming a party that is on par with the current major parties?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 09:52:38 AM »

Other. Actually, none of the above. Until structural changes are made to the US political system, the two party monopoly will continue and the current two dominant political parties will continue to dominate. Alternative political parties can only advance so far before having their platforms co-opted right out from under them by one of the two dominant parties. That is why "third" parties never last long in America. The Populists of the late 1880's and early 1890's are the best example. Single member districts; taxpayer funded partisan primaries (nearly always for Democrats and Republicans only); "non-partisan" debates commission that excludes everyone except Dems and Reps; news media which excludes alternative candidates etc. Not a pretty picture for minor parties.

I asked which has the best chance out of all of them, not whether it would happen or not. I'll grant you it's an uphill battle. The best chance for any of them to rise would be the collapse of one of the major parties, or something that severely weakens them at least. You must remember, the Republicans were a third party once, so a third party coming into power is not out of the question.

Just to give my opinion on what would happen if one of the major parties collapsed, it would first depend on which one collapsed. The Dems look more likely at this point, so I'll start with them - I'd say a number would go to the Green Party, definitely those on the far left, but the economic moderates might go for the Libertarians, since they will likely agree on social policy. If the Republicans collapsed on the other hand, it would be a much different split - The Constitution Party would definitely benefit, but the less socially conservative Republicans would likely join the Libertarians. Of course, if either party collapses, I think we'd see even the non-collapsed party losing members to the growing third parties. Of course, this ignores the possibility that new parties would form from the ashes of the old. Might be my bias speaking, but I think the Libertarians are probably in the best position to capitalize on a collapse, we're probably the best organized in terms of doing it as well.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 06:29:48 AM »

I would say the Greens simply because the Libertarians (by their nature) are not nearly as organized as the Greens and they really don't have a solid vote base.

1. We are very organized, especially this year. We managed ballot access in more states than all the other third parties, and that takes organization.

2. There is a consistent base of support. All our candidates, except for president, seem to get at least 2% of the vote. It is that level or higher when we field a good candidate. We could likely get voted in in many Congressional districts if we had the funds to run viable campaigns. (unfortunately most of our voters don't give money)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:46:16 AM »

I would say the Greens simply because the Libertarians (by their nature) are not nearly as organized as the Greens and they really don't have a solid vote base.

1. We are very organized, especially this year. We managed ballot access in more states than all the other third parties, and that takes organization.

2. There is a consistent base of support. All our candidates, except for president, seem to get at least 2% of the vote. It is that level or higher when we field a good candidate. We could likely get voted in in many Congressional districts if we had the funds to run viable campaigns. (unfortunately most of our voters don't give money)

One thing that I know for certain, not many campuses that I have ever heard of have a "Campus Libertarians".  Young recruitment is key to having a solid party aparatus.  The Libertarians don't have that.

http://www.lp.org/organization/campus.php

306 total campus organizations. We are usually in the more major colleges. I would agree though that we should step up college recruitment, which would especially be effective at technical schools(lots of techies and engineers have libertarian attitutes).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »

One thing that I know for certain, not many campuses that I have ever heard of have a "Campus Libertarians".  Young recruitment is key to having a solid party aparatus.  The Libertarians don't have that.

I know of 5 here in western PA that have "Campus Constitutionalists". No campus (that I have freinds on at least) has a "Campus Libertarians" except Penn State Main.  There isn't even one a Pitt and that is a fair sized university.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Chris- Please don't tell that to my daughter (she is a freshman at Pitt main campus) and a member of the Pitt Libertarians who just hosted a Badnarik visit.

LOL. Yeah, did ya even think to look on that list I gave ya:

"Pittsburgh Campus Coordinator
libertarian@ernharth.com"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies