Undecided
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Undecided
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who should I vote for?
Obama

McCain

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Undecided  (Read 3907 times)
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2008, 06:02:36 PM by Fresh Meat... »

Okay, help me out here.

I like Obama's stance on some issues like abortion, tax cuts, and healthcare more than McCain. But lately I find myself agreeing with McCain more on foreign policy (especially Iraq and Colombia), social security, and energy to name a few issues. I have some serious concerns about McCain's judgment but Obama's lack of experience bothers me too. Obviously Rhode Island isn't remotely close, but I don't want to feel responsible for electing a total failure for President.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

Okay, help me out here.

I like Obama's stance on some issues like abortion, tax cuts, and healthcare more than McCain. But lately I find myself agreeing with McCain more on foreign policy (especially Iraq and Colombia), social security, and energy to name a few issues. I have some serious concerns about McCain's judgment but Obama's lack of experience bothers me too. Obviously Rhode Island isn't remotely close, but I don't want to feel responsible for electing a total failure for President.

As I've said before it is who a President surrounds himself with when in office that makes a President good, bad or great.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »

Vote with the winner of the election -- Obama.  I'm dead serious, if I hadn't sent my vote in the mail already, I would consider sitting out the election.

A lot of it is because my support of McCain is a whole lot more mild than before.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:42 PM »

Baldwin's on the ballot there, right? Vote for him.
perdedor

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

I suppose it really depends on what's the most pressing set of issues to you. I can't suggest much else outside of just debating with yourself about what you really want in a president.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2008, 07:11:27 PM by Alcon »

With due respect to PiT, I'll throw in a vote for "not Baldwin"  Tongue

If I had to lobby for someone, it would be Obama.  I think I've laid out my reasons pretty extensively elsewhere.  I think he surrounds himself with better people, and is more thoughtful.  But I'll be honest:  I think you're smart and informed enough to make your own decision.  I don't think anything we say is going to be new information.  I personally think McCain's inability to separate himself from the culture and advisers of the Bush administration is disheartening, especially for a guy with a healthy sense of honor but little curiosity.  Over the past few years, I think we've had enough of "that's how it is"-ism in decision-making.  Obama has a bit of that too, but overall I'm more comfortable with him at the helm.

I'm not enthused about either, but considering your ideology, I think Obama would be a better fit.  But you know better than any of us.  You'll regret it a lot less if you make an independent decision, even if you'll regret it either way (your damn fault for voting!).  Good luck.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »

Don't vote for McCain.

If you want a pair of smart, pragmatic, steady hands on the wheel, vote Obama.  If you want to stand up for your "independence" and take some sort of "shot" at the "system" in a misguided effort to preserve your ideological cleanliness, protest vote for Barr.  Just don't vote for McCain.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »

Vote with the winner of the election -- Obama. 

What does this accomplish? What is with people's self esteem these days? You have to vote for the expected winner to feel like you matter?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »

Either McCain or Obama, but not Barr.  Barr is a complete hypocrite.  He only discovered civil liberties after he got caught licking a stripper's breasts.  He would still be a religious Conservative if he had not been voted out by his district.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »

I fear at the margins I might have had a bit of a "bad"influence on Alcon, as we both crossed the River Styx, me from the other shore, but I picked him up in the middle of the river, and over to the other side, a land beyond which about  which I have read, but have never actually "seen." Pray for me. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 12:13:46 AM »

I fear at the margins I might have had a bit of a "bad"influence on Alcon, as we both crossed the River Styx, me from the other shore, but I picked him up in the middle of the river, and over to the other side, a land beyond which about  which I have read, but have never actually "seen." Pray for me. 

Struck by the Muse of Poesy tonight, Torie?  Fear not, the land twixt Charon Obama sails is the fair Elysian Fields, whilst McCain wouldst have thou accompany him to darkest sulfurous Tartarus.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »

What does this accomplish? What is with people's self esteem these days? You have to vote for the expected winner to feel like you matter?

I'm really disappointed in Ronnie. Saying you should vote for the favored candidate is the stupidest thing I've ever read. I suppose we should stop standing up for what we believe in and just lay down to the mighty Obama. I really hope you find your voice again, Ronnie. If you don't believe in your principles, then what do you have? Just roll with the Obama crowd, 70% of them that know nothing about what's going on?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 12:28:52 AM »

I'm really disappointed in Ronnie. Saying you should vote for the favored candidate is the stupidest thing I've ever read. I suppose we should stop standing up for what we believe in and just lay down to the mighty Obama. I really hope you find your voice again, Ronnie. If you don't believe in your principles, then what do you have? Just roll with the Obama crowd, 70% of them that know nothing about what's going on?

Chill out, I was kidding, and already voted for McCain.  It is pretty silly that you're giving me all this attention for nothing.

But believe it or not, many people will vote for Obama because he's ahead.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 12:30:55 AM »

Chill out, I was kidding, and already voted for McCain.  It is pretty silly that you're giving me all this attention for nothing.

Of course. It has everything to do with the herd mentality.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 12:41:36 AM »

vote Obama
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 01:00:30 AM »

Write in: Augusto Pinochet
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 01:10:57 AM »

Don't vote. By voting, you lend your consent to whatever horrible acts they would commit as president.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »

It just gets on my nerves that the majority of your posts lately have been telling people how sorry you are that you voted for McCain and to vote for Obama because he's going to win. Yes, a lot of people will probably vote for Obama because they think he's going to win, but that doesn't mean we should all cheapen ourselves to that level. Most of us who post on this forum are better informed than that. We aren't like "everyone else."
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2008, 02:57:38 PM by Ronnie »

It just gets on my nerves that the majority of your posts lately have been telling people how sorry you are that you voted for McCain and to vote for Obama because he's going to win. Yes, a lot of people will probably vote for Obama because they think he's going to win, but that doesn't mean we should all cheapen ourselves to that level. Most of us who post on this forum are better informed than that. We aren't like "everyone else."

Make no mistake, I would still probably vote for McCain, but this election in my head has swiftly gone from being pro-McCain to anti-Obama, and recently my hatred toward Obama isn't intense at all.

Keep in mind, I would likely vote for Obama if the GOP had a decent sized control of congress.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »

Don't Do anything I wouldn't do...

(Ie: Write In Howard Beale - Mike Gravel.)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

I just wished you would have crossed the river with something other than a Cook County politician.  I thought you were smarter than that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »

Make no mistake, I would still probably vote for McCain, but this election in my head has swiftly gone from being pro-McCain to anti-Obama, and recently my hatred toward Obama isn't intense at all.

Keep in mind, I would likely vote for Obama if the GOP had a decent sized control of congress.

Torie has too much influence on you. I like him as much as the next guy, but I don't base my political opinions on him. It seems ever since he decided to vote for Obama, you suddenly decided to begin whining about how you wish you hadn't voted for McCain.

And you would vote for Obama if the GOP had control of Congress? Do you just vote randomly? You're basically an independent that wants divided government if what you're saying? That's fine, I just want to understand you more ..
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »

I just wished you would have crossed the river with something other than a Cook County politician.  I thought you were smarter than that.

Obama has no deep ties to anyone, be it Wright, Ayers, Cook County, or anything else. He is a rather detached man, from anything another than his own ambition. The trick then becomes whether he is able to translate his ambition into become one esteemed in history as a success. If we get lucky, that will be his metric rather than feeding his base. We shall see. He is a quite fascinating figure in that respect. Most are more tied to their hood.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »

I thought Torie was voting for McKinney?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »

Torie has too much influence on you. I like him as much as the next guy, but I don't base my political opinions on him. It seems ever since he decided to vote for Obama, you suddenly decided to begin whining about how you wish you hadn't voted for McCain.

And you would vote for Obama if the GOP had control of Congress? Do you just vote randomly? You're basically an independent that wants divided government if what you're saying? That's fine, I just want to understand you more ..

Yes, I'm a Republican-leaning Independent, even though I'm a registered Republican.  If there was a Republican-leaning Independent avatar on this forum, I would wear it.

And for the tenth time, I would almost certainly vote the same way as before (McCain) if I still had my ballot with me.  I'm not whining about anything.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies