Closing schools for election day?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Closing schools for election day?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Closing schools for election day?  (Read 1346 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

Since when are schools closing for Election Day? I remember I had school on Election Day 2000 and I know schools were open Election Day 2004.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »

The local schools here aren't closing.

Perhaps it's just something local for you.

(they will be closing next Tuesday - Veterans day)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »

I believe they do in MD, because school gyms are frequently used as polling places.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »

Mine's not closed, in fact Tuesday is my busiest day.  In fact, I don't ever remember any of the schools I attended or worked for being closed for election day.  My wife's is not closed either.  Neither are the local public schools here.  I have to attend a meeting from 4 to 5 tomorrow, so  I may end up voting after my dinner, which usually means after I get a good alcohol buzz.  But the polling places are open from 7AM till 9PM and mine's only four blocks away and it's an unseasonably warm day and will be again tomorrow, so it may make for a fun evening diversion.  It's either that or vote sometime before 9AM, which is when I have to be at work, and I'm not much of a morning person so I don't really see that happening.  I have a window of free time from 11:00 till 1:00, but my assumption is that it'll be busy with the lunch-rush crowd, so I don't think I'll vote at that time either.  I think I'll wail till after everyone else has voted and it has emptied out a bit, and just include a nice leisurely stroll to the polling place in my post-dinner ritual.  That'll also give me an excuse not to sit and stare mindlessly at the TV, only to see election returns being repeated over and over as talking heads try to justify their existence by explaining the obvious to me.
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »

I believe they do in MD, because school gyms are frequently used as polling places.
my kids' schools used to remain open on election day although they are polling places.  They have decided for security reasons to close whenever the schools are open for voting, however.  Can't imagine they're the only ones.

I'm pretty sure when I went to school (back in the 70's) we closed on Election Day in Presidential years.  Easier for the teachers back then.  With early voting, it's not as necessary, but still nice.  Should be a holiday, frankly.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

My high school was closed in '06 because it was a polling place. Besides that, though, it's never happened to me.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

Since when are schools closing for Election Day? I remember I had school on Election Day 2000 and I know schools were open Election Day 2004.

They are closed in VA because schools are used as polling stations.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »

When I was in elementary school, our school was a polling place, and it closed. Of course, it's still a polling place, and I've now voted there a few times, but it seems to be open for school on elections now (at least for primaries and off-year general elections, maybe it's closed for presidential elections).
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »

Should be on a weekend.  *shrug*
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

Ours were always closed( Fairfax and Prince William County Va respectively) as our gyms were used as polling places.   It kind of throws me that the kids down here( Hillsborough, Fla) aren't off.  I think they should be, so that they can accompany their parents to the polls.  I know we will be voting late tomorrow, as DD has school, and then Karate practice( we won't make her miss as she has a tournament this weekend) So it will be a late vote for us. 
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »

I have a test on election day in one class, and in another there are mandatory presentations...

Not much sympathy for anyone who wants to spend their time on GOTV efforts.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »

I actually agree.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

in each of my 13 years of public school, we had Election Day off.  now in college, classes persist.
ill ind

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

My wife teaches at a school that will be closed tomorrow.  The school is a polling place.
The students voted today as well 452 to 58 in favor of Obama.  The demographics of the student body: 92% Hispanic.

Ill-Ind
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies